ADVERTISEMENT

question for the board on the ACC tourney, pitt related

Zeldas Open Roof

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2018
do we even want a double bye? Hear me out, i get it, if you want to win the tournament, you want the double bye and of course we want to win the tournament BUT lets say we finish the season at 11-9 or 12-8 and NEED at least one or more likely two tournament wins, wouldnt you rather get just a bye so you can play a decent matchup and get that tournament win??

In a perfect world, the selection committee looks at a double bye as 2 wins in the tournament but in reality, i dont think that's the case. you are much better looked at if you dont get a bye and win two games and lose in the 3rd round than you would if you got double bye and lost in your first game..

Again, i know winning it is the ultimate goal, auto bid and all but im thinking just one bye and getting a win in the tournament would look better on the resume..

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The problem with being the 5 or 6 seed is that you most likely are playing a Wednesday game with no upside— exactly like our game against GT last year.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
All depends how the season plays out. If we go 5-2 and are "in," we probably don't want to risk the possibility of losing to a hot "bad" team in round 2. If we go 4-3 and need to win a few tournament games, maybe we would want a Syracuse-caliber opponent in that round (decent, but beatable... assuming they win a few more themselves) to pad our resume.

Yes, there is only room for error without the double bye. It’s possible they have a rubber match with Clemson or wake that first game, but it would be a q1 game. All others would be Q2, except for GT, Lville, and ND, which would be Q3. I guess an additional Q2 win is better than just a Q1 loss, but you risk injury and you risk potentially losing to the bottom feeders. But if Pitt does get a double bye, it likely means they will have gone 6-1 or 7-0 to finish things up.

The advantage to the double bye is that you’re guaranteed a game against a team that has played the day before, and maybe even a team on their third game in three days. Your chances of winning against a team with those legs are higher than usual, and the team sheets are going to make no distinction whether the win came against a team with tired legs or a team that’s fresh.

That’s not including the possibility of actually winning the thing…which if this team keeps playing like this, it’s a legitimate possibility that is more likely with the double bye.

do we even want a double bye? Hear me out, i get it, if you want to win the tournament, you want the double bye and of course we want to win the tournament BUT lets say we finish the season at 11-9 or 12-8 and NEED at least one or more likely two tournament wins, wouldnt you rather get just a bye so you can play a decent matchup and get that tournament win??

In a perfect world, the selection committee looks at a double bye as 2 wins in the tournament but in reality, i dont think that's the case. you are much better looked at if you dont get a bye and win two games and lose in the 3rd round than you would if you got double bye and lost in your first game..

Again, i know winning it is the ultimate goal, auto bid and all but im thinking just one bye and getting a win in the tournament would look better on the resume..

Absolutely because losing the 5/12 game knocks you out. We were trailing in the 2nd Half vs GT last year. Had we lost, we wouldn't have made it. Remember I posted during the last week that we need ANY of like 7 results to happen for us to make the NCAAT. It all hinged on getting the double bye because I knew if we didnt get the double bye and lost that game, we'd be out.....and we came ever so close to doing it.

So you definitely want the double bye.

And if we win our next 2, to move into a tie with Wake (but ahead on tiebreakers), I would say that we probably WILL get the double bye.

Last edited:
Absolutely because losing the 5/12 game knocks you out. We were trailing in the 2nd Half vs GT last year. Had we lost, we wouldn't have made it. Remember I posted during the last week that we need ANY of like 7 results to happen for us to make the NCAAT. It all hinged on getting the double bye because I knew if we didnt get the double bye and lost that game, we'd be out.....and we came ever so close to doing it.

So you definitely want the double bye.

And if we win our next 2, to move into a tie with Wake (but ahead on tiebreakers), I would say that we probably WILL get the double bye.

Yeah, that penultimate Notre Dame game was kind of like the WVU football game in 2009. Nobody cared when it happened, because the next one was still for all the marbles. But, after coming within an eyelash of winning the next one, we didn't even finish in second in either instance (or 3rd or 4th in the case of the basketball team).

Yeah, that penultimate Notre Dame game was kind of like the WVU football game in 2009. Nobody cared when it happened, because the next one was still for all the marbles. But, after coming within an eyelash of winning the next one, we didn't even finish in second in either instance (or 3rd or 4th in the case of the basketball team).

Sorta but I knew the implications so for me, it was a huge game. Then the blowout on top of it really upset me because I knew how far we'd drop.

So right now, if the ACC tourney starts.....what seed are we?? Five?
i was watching the ACC show today and i want to say right now, we are 6th, after last night's games. I could be wrong..

EDIT< nope, im wrong. tied with NC state but we have tiebreaker. so yep, 5th.. i think lol. us, nc state and fsu are all 7-6, not sure why we have tie breaker on them..

• Haha
Reactions: Gep Dawg
Yeah at this point I want the double bye. Unless we lose to NC State than we need as many wins as we can get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT