ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi needs to take a step back.....

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
and evaluate himself, and what his vision is for this program.

Most of us knew this year woudl be a step backward, but nobody expected that step woudl be over the edge of a cliff.

The offense we ran last year was outstanding. We had much better players in a few key positions, but the scheme itself was creative and built to succeed by exploiting the strengths of our personnel.

If I'm Narduzzi, and I'm looking to hire Canada's replacement, I am insisting that the next OC study what we did last year and try to emulate it as closely as possible. I'd be a fool not to, right? It was the best offense in school history

What we have this year is very different schematically. Clearly, Watson has his own ideas, and they aren't very creative. Narduzzi seems totally "hands-off" with that O. His defense is a another story, we have had personnel issues since he got here but he has stubbornly refused to conform his philosophy and scheme to try to cover up some of our biggest weaknesses.

To win at Pitt, you can;t do the same ol, same ol. We will never have the talent to go toe to toe with the big boys and try to beat them straight up. We need offensive creativity, deception, misdirection like we had last year. I know we don;t have the best personnel this year, but we can do better with the playbook, there is no doubt about that.

Most of us knew this year woudl be a step backward, but nobody expected that step woudl be over the edge of a cliff.

The offense we ran last year was outstanding. We had much better players in a few key positions, but the scheme itself was creative and built to succeed by exploiting the strengths of our personnel.

If I'm Narduzzi, and I'm looking to hire Canada's replacement, I am insisting that the next OC study what we did last year and try to emulate it as closely as possible. I'd be a fool not to, right? It was the best offense in school history

What we have this year is very different schematically. Clearly, Watson has his own ideas, and they aren't very creative. Narduzzi seems totally "hands-off" with that O. His defense is a another story, we have had personnel issues since he got here but he has stubbornly refused to conform his philosophy and scheme to try to cover up some of our biggest weaknesses.

To win at Pitt, you can;t do the same ol, same ol. We will never have the talent to go toe to toe with the big boys and try to beat them straight up. We need offensive creativity, deception, misdirection like we had last year. I know we don;t have the best personnel this year, but we can do better with the playbook, there is no doubt about that.

Why do we end up with many guys in the NFL? Like a top 20 program with players going on to next level

I think your original point is completely off base.

The problem is they are "trying" to do the exact same thing they did last year.

And they are playing in a 7-8 yard box instead of stretching the field.

It's tougher without an elite player like Conner and terrible tight ends.

If you can't run play action pass doesn't work.

It was 7-0 we get a turnover and don't throw a pass over the line to scrimmage.

I think my original point is spot on.

So there.

Watch some film of the offense last year. The PSU game is a good example.

We may run out of a similar pro-set, but there are significant differences in how we are employing it. Look at the pre-snap shifts and motion last year versus this year. Look at how Canada shifted tempo (going from long huddle to no-huddle, switching between spread and pro-set principles, doing things to keep the D off balance. Then take any of our first three games this season and watch how we run our offense. It's not even close.

No doubt we took major key personnel hits, especially at QB and OL, but the biggest loss was the OC.

Dinucci probably made his 'play of the game' evading the rush and throwing a strike to Weah... who promptly dropped it. And has dropped nearly everything thrown his way this year and shadow blocks on run plays. It's the lack of production out of players like Weah who is killing the offense.

So there.

We may run out of a similar pro-set, but there are significant differences in how we are employing it. Look at the pre-snap shifts and motion last year versus this year. Look at how Canada shifted tempo (going from long huddle to no-huddle, switching between spread and pro-set principles, doing things to keep the D off balance. Then take any of our first three games this season and watch how we run our offense. It's not even close.

No doubt we took major key personnel hits, especially at QB and OL, but the biggest loss was the OC.
The Oline should not be this bad. We lost 2 Oline man who were good ( couldn't make NFL rosters ). Yet, we returned our best Oline man in O'Neil, and two other Oline man who started a lot of games in Officer, Bookster. Add another starter from Texas in Hodges's and that is a unit a lot of college programs wish they had coming back.

So all these excuses saying we lost a lot on the Oline is ridiculous. Simply, there is a reason why they are not playing up to potential. It has nothing to do with being young or inexperienced

The Oline should not be this bad. We lost 2 Oline man who were good ( couldn't make NFL rosters ). Yet, we returned our best Oline man in O'Neil, and two other Oline man who started a lot of games in Officer, Bookster. Add another starter from Texas in Hodges's and that is a unit a lot of college programs wish they had coming back.

So all these excuses saying we lost a lot on the Oline is ridiculous. Simply, there is a reason why they are not playing up to potential. It has nothing to do with being young or inexperienced

Are we the only program that plays young guys ?

Reactions: sherepower

So there.

Ok pre snap shifts....

Be the expert tell me what shifting O'Neil and Biz before the snap means.....

No more then 3 times did those players end up in different positions then there regular positions. (Lt, Rt)

No more than 3

So the shifting didn't matter.

The Aston shifting is a different story but we have no way of knowing if those would occur or not this year.

Biggest difference? We can't run the ****ing football. Linebackers don't have to blitz the A gap and safeties don't have to load the box. Hence the jet sweep doesn't work hence the the play action pass doesn't work.

But as far as the offense, the playbook is essentially the same.

It's mis direction, it's shovel passes, it's play action.

And that's the issue the personnel isn't the same.

Reactions: paulbl99
Ok pre snap shifts....

Be the expert tell me what shifting O'Neil and Biz before the snap means.....

No more then 3 times did those players end up in different positions then there regular positions. (Lt, Rt)

No more than 3

So the shifting didn't matter.

The Aston shifting is a different story but we have no way of knowing if those would occur or not this year.

Biggest difference? We can't run the ****ing football. Linebackers don't have to blitz the A gap and safeties don't have to load the box. Hence the jet sweep doesn't work hence the the play action pass doesn't work.

But as far as the offense, the playbook is essentially the same.

It's mis direction, it's shovel passes, it's play action.

And that's the issue the personnel isn't the same.
The playbook might be the same but Watson is not good at understanding which of those plays to call in different situations.

Ollison is no James connor

We can't run the football in large part...because our horse this year is very " tackle able".

It's not the only issue....it may not be the biggest problem.

But connor always got 2-3 more yards after being hit

Not this kid.....

Reactions: DiehardPanther

You can study every aspect of an offense and know it inside and out as well as the guy who designed but does make you equal play caller.

I agree Las Panteras....

I've never seen a back as big as Ollison go down in first contact so much.

Defense Played better today offense stunk .

At this point I'd play Moss and Davis

Reactions: DiehardPanther
It's utterly amazing you can quote my win loss prediction.

But I'll own it.

I also said pitt would go to the big ten and Stallings would go to the NCAA tournament in his first three years

I am not sure who was yelling at you, but didn't most people on here have us winning about 7-8 games on average? 6 is not that far from the average prediction.

I saw a bunch of 8 and 9 wins. Not you , and then you are honest , I think I said 7 , can't remember , maybe 6. Now it's looking like 4

Agree-
Have to call to our personnel.

Banging a square peg into a round hole fails.
See our defense the past two seasons

Dinucci probably made his 'play of the game' evading the rush and throwing a strike to Weah... who promptly dropped it. And has dropped nearly everything thrown his way this year and shadow blocks on run plays. It's the lack of production out of players like Weah who is killing the offense.
Easy fix.

Bench weah and play someone else.
Bench jjs as well -he's garbage

Reactions: Chaos
It's utterly amazing you can quote my win loss prediction.

But I'll own it.

I also said pitt would go to the big ten and Stallings would go to the NCAA tournament in his first three years
Hope you don't bet on the games !

I'm more worried about the actual coaching.

Purdue, Iowa, other teams remain competitive with our level of talent.

You pick 3 games a weekend for the rest of the year and I bet my posting I beat you.

Deal?
I don't have any desire to see you not posting . I pick one game a week and if find nothing appealing I skip the week . So far I've picked against Pitt three times . Always pick against teams with new or unsettled qbs . ( or no qb ) . For the record I hate picking against either Pitt or the Steelers . Unfortunately for Pitt without a high powered offense there's not much hope with their defense . Pick a game and put on the board and I'll play along .

On offense There are many problems first and foremost the QB. In Browne you have a statue who can't make quick decisions and holds on to the ball too long even though he's more accurate and has a strong arm. DInucci is more mobile but again is not confident to throw the ball down the field The limitations at QB make defending this offense easy. The biggest difference from last year is QB

Add in an OL that has been inconsistent to be kind and you have huge problems on O. They can't run block consistently and RT has been a turnstile

WR Has been disappointed for sure. Way too many drops and not enough separation.

Finally Watson is for sure a concern. Yes he's hamstrung by poor QB play and ol play but his predictable play callling hasn't helped them either. When they went three wides they seemed to play better. But they insist on the two TE set. I think they have to open it up and throw more over the middle. Almost everything is in the flats. Just a mess overall

On D the young excuse is valid especially on DL. I thought they did a decent job yesterday given how long they were on the field. It's not hard to imagine this D improving as the year goes on and being pretty darn good next year

On O not sure why the OL is so bad and you have to hope that either Dinucci improves greatly or Picket is the real deal next year. Not sure what to think of Watson

it takes 105 guys to have a successful football team. One or two elite players can;t overcome a whole bunch of mediocre and marginal ones.

our biggest problem this year is that we are very young.
No the biggest problem(s) is coaching and recruiting. Lots of talk and no results. No vision or creativity on O or D. I have watched too many teams play freshmen and still get the job done. Narduzzi's defense is out of date and there is zero offensive play calling or vertical passing game.

On offense There are many problems first and foremost the QB. In Browne you have a statue who can't make quick decisions and holds on to the ball too long even though he's more accurate and has a strong arm. DInucci is more mobile but again is not confident to throw the ball down the field The limitations at QB make defending this offense easy. The biggest difference from last year is QB

Add in an OL that has been inconsistent to be kind and you have huge problems on O. They can't run block consistently and RT has been a turnstile

WR Has been disappointed for sure. Way too many drops and not enough separation.

Finally Watson is for sure a concern. Yes he's hamstrung by poor QB play and ol play but his predictable play callling hasn't helped them either. When they went three wides they seemed to play better. But they insist on the two TE set. I think they have to open it up and throw more over the middle. Almost everything is in the flats. Just a mess overall

On D the young excuse is valid especially on DL. I thought they did a decent job yesterday given how long they were on the field. It's not hard to imagine this D improving as the year goes on and being pretty darn good next year

On O not sure why the OL is so bad and you have to hope that either Dinucci improves greatly or Picket is the real deal next year. Not sure what to think of Watson
I agree that the QB position, along with the OC, are the biggest issues. Other teams know it, and stack the box. Browne/Dinucci aren't the decision makers that Peterman was, and Watson isn't the play caller that Canada was. It's too easy to defend this offense, which makes it even more difficult to execute. It's going to be a long season.

I agree that the QB position, along with the OC, are the biggest issues. Other teams know it, and stack the box. Browne/Dinucci aren't the decision makers that Peterman was, and Watson isn't the play caller that Canada was. It's too easy to defend this offense, which makes it even more difficult to execute. It's going to be a long season.
Aside from our offense and defense...
We aren't too bad.

Ugh

Or the other coaches got a year to prepare for what Pitt was doing.

Personally, this season's primary issue is experience (lack there of).

The playbook might be the same but Watson is not good at understanding which of those plays to call in different situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT