ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Yarnell played well today

Gotta say, I doubted him even after last week, but he was poised, accurate, threw some really nice balls, showed running ability. Needs some work on getting pressured but heck, no way to really prepare for that.
Yep, problem is he should have been getting those reps and game situations in Week 2 but our genius talent evaluators thought otherwise.

He did. Still not what I would consider to be smooth, per se, but he was probably our best player today. He exceeded my expectations and impressed me quite a bit.

I agree. It seems to me that Pitt would have been Bowl eligible if he had started the year as "the guy"
Let's not go too far. He played well today and Pitt still lost to a not so great Duke team. Pitt was just a bad team this year.

Yarnell is not a difference maker he is another in a long line of average QBS that won’t bring any big time wins to Pitt

I'm sure you said this after the 2019 season as well
In Pittsburgh, no matter what a QB does, it's not good enough if they don't win.... The OL can give up sacks. The running game can be non-existent. Special teams can stink. The defense can miss tackles and not pressure the QB. That's ok.... But damn that QB for not winning the game!!!!!!

A true yinzer response from pittzit.

Nate played well today. It was the best quarterbacking we've had all year. He'll get better. Only his 3rd start.

Last edited:
Let's not go too far. He played well today and Pitt still lost to a not so great Duke team. Pitt was just a bad team this year.
There were other games, earlier in the season, where his play would have made a difference. I would guess you never played organized football...and I mean no disrespect, it's just my observation.

And none of those notes say, get a new punter ?
Didn't we have 3 of them not to long ago?
I said that in the game thread. It boggles the mind. He ran 3 guys out there last year yet he didn’t try anyone else this year with a kid who clearly wasn’t any good? I’m usually not for “give someone a chance” type of thinking but this screamed for it.

Reactions: Maz643
I agree. It seems to me that Pitt would have been Bowl eligible if he had started the year as "the guy"
The big problem was how long they went with the other 2. They each got 5 starts. Each went 1-4. It shouldn’t have taken 11 games for Yarnell to get his shot. Worst case scenario he should have been playing by game 6.

The big problem was how long they went with the other 2. They each got 5 starts. Each went 1-4. It shouldn’t have taken 11 games for Yarnell to get his shot. Worst case scenario he should have been playing by game 6.

Oddly enough, all three of our QBs won their first start of the season, and then lost all the rest.

That would have been possible this year if Cignetti mafia didn’t start/ruin this season. 8-4 is nothing to laugh at. Gotta win 8 before you can win 10. Fans of 3 win teams shouldn’t turn up their noses at eight wins.
No it wouldn't.

Pitt was a bad team with Jurk at QB.
Pitt was a bad team with Veilleux at QB. And Pitt was a bad team with Yarnell at QB.

I'm not sure a change in coordinators helps anything without upgrading the talent.

Personally I think all the losing and pressure on the defense caused them to erode from the inside out. This team got worse as the year progress and I personally think Duzz lost the team after ND.

In Pittsburgh, no matter what a QB does, it's not good enough if they don't win.... The OL can give up sacks. The running game can be non-existent. Special teams can stink. The defense can miss tackles and not pressure the QB. That's ok.... But damn that QB for not winning the game!!!!!!

A true yinzer response from pittzit.

Nate played well today. It was the best quarterbacking we've had all year. He'll get better. Only his 3rd start.
Yes… amen

And for Part 2

See Kenny Yinzer rants ( only difference he’s is winning more than losing)

Reactions: 303vND
Yarnell looked like the only legit and competent qb this season
Christian was an improvement over jurk because he sucked - and he could actually throw a spiral .

It says a lot about the incompetence of this coaching staff that it took until the final 2 games to figure this out .

Yarnell is not a difference maker he is another in a long line of average QBS that won’t bring any big time wins to Pitt
Mmmmm to early to say anything like that. That roll out to the sideline back of endzone throw to Means was kinda impressive. He's also a decent runner. He showed me enough to think he could be a difference maker. Super small sample size. I mean, if he's the starter from week 1, Pitt probably wins 7. Is that the definition of difference maker?

Gotta say, I doubted him even after last week, but he was poised, accurate, threw some really nice balls, showed running ability. Needs some work on getting pressured but heck, no way to really prepare for that.
He was not bad at all, pretty poised and accurate. But neither he nor CV are so great that we shouldn't check out QBs in the portal. But don't go after P5 busts who used to be 4-5 stars who could never win a job. I'd look at G5 stars if available, overachievers who put up big passing and even running numbers, even if slightly undersized. Change the offense too, away from pro style to some up-tempo college style with lots of no huddle and tossing the ball all over the place.

Reactions: President Stache
He was not bad at all, pretty poised and accurate. But neither he nor CV are so great that we shouldn't check out QBs in the portal. But don't go after P5 busts who used to be 4-5 stars who could never win a job. I'd look at G5 stars if available, overachievers who put up big passing and even running numbers, even if slightly undersized. Change the offense too, away from pro style to some up-tempo college style with lots of no huddle and tossing the ball all over the place.

Yeah, totally agree, plus we have Diffenbach (?) and not much else on the roster, so that would be putting a lot of eggs in one basket there.

I do think he looked pretty darn good, especially considering he is raw, he only played 6 games in high school as well. When he catches up to the game, I can honestly see him being very very good.

Reactions: Maz643
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT