ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Yarnell played well today

Yarnell looked like the only legit and competent qb this season
Christian was an improvement over jurk because he sucked - and he could actually throw a spiral .

It says a lot about the incompetence of this coaching staff that it took until the final 2 games to figure this out .
I think the staff knew exactly what they had at QB - 3 guys who were liabilities for 2023 and weren't going to help them win games.

It was obvious from day one that this team was only going to go as far as the running game and defense took them. And those sucked too.

Yeah, totally agree, plus we have Diffenbach (?) and not much else on the roster, so that would be putting a lot of eggs in one basket there.

I do think he looked pretty darn good, especially considering he is raw, he only played 6 games in high school as well. When he catches up to the game, I can honestly see him being very very good.
Only 6 games in high school? Why? even I played at least double that :)

Reactions: President Stache
No it wouldn't.

Pitt was a bad team with Jurk at QB.
Pitt was a bad team with Veilleux at QB. And Pitt was a bad team with Yarnell at QB.

I'm not sure a change in coordinators helps anything without upgrading the talent.
Teams and seasons feed on momentum—both good and bad. Pitt starts 4-0,3-1 they’re bowling this season, and some of those games go our way. They could have had a good nonconference record without the Cignetti mafia.

Teams and seasons feed on momentum—both good and bad. Pitt starts 4-0,3-1 they’re bowling this season, and some of those games go our way. They could have had a good nonconference record without the Cignetti mafia.
The OL and defense wasn't good enough. Jurk threw for 3 TDs against Cincinnati. Cincinnati put up 27 points. The way Pitt's OL played that night, there is no chance Pitt puts up 27 points on Cincy with CV or NY.

If Louisville's back would have been 100%, Pitt is 2-10, imo.

Reactions: sonofabit
CV - Definitely the best arm out of the three, and it's not close; seems to be a turnover machine who doesn't read the field well

PJ - Best grit and the best runner; by far the least talented thrower and his reads were also not impressive

NY - Doesn't throw a great ball and isn't mobile at all (I have no idea what game some of you are watching); seems to be accurate with his wobblers and has decent grit; seems to read the field the best; comfortable (too comfortable?) with throwing into traffic; seems like he does a lot of things while backing up, so perhaps the footwork can use some refining

I still think you have to go into the Spring with NY, CV, and a transfer and let them sort it out. Obviously NY is the leader in the clubhouse right now. He needs to add 10+ pounds and assume more of a leadership position.

Reactions: Burgh15
Only 6 games in high school? Why? even I played at least double that :)
He played for a team that produces more D1 QBs than prob anyone. The 10 QBs before him all went D1. His Jr year he was backup (to Texas commit) and started 6 games where he played really well. He was to start his Sr year but broke his hand when he punched a LB who took a cheap shot on his WR in a 7 on 7. So didn’t play his Sr year.

Reactions: FireballZ
He played for a team that produces more D1 QBs than prob anyone. The 10 QBs before him all went D1. His Jr year he was backup (to Texas commit) and started 6 games where he played really well. He was to start his Sr year but broke his hand when he punched a LB who took a cheap shot on his WR in a 7 on 7. So didn’t play his Sr year.
So that's why he's at Pitt, maybe if he had balled out that year he'd be riding the bench in the SEC :)

Reactions: DORT and 4upmc
CV - Definitely the best arm out of the three, and it's not close; seems to be a turnover machine who doesn't read the field well

PJ - Best grit and the best runner; by far the least talented thrower and his reads were also not impressive

NY - Doesn't throw a great ball and isn't mobile at all (I have no idea what game some of you are watching); seems to be accurate with his wobblers and has decent grit; seems to read the field the best; comfortable (too comfortable?) with throwing into traffic; seems like he does a lot of things while backing up, so perhaps the footwork can use some refining

I still think you have to go into the Spring with NY, CV, and a transfer and let them sort it out. Obviously NY is the leader in the clubhouse right now. He needs to add 10+ pounds and assume more of a leadership position.

OK, I think in general I dont disagree with any of this.

But, Yarnell is mobile-ish. He is not a pure athlete in the slightest, but more like Justin Herbert if Herbert never lifted weights. Just tall and long strider. He showed some pretty good arm strength as well on some balls. He threw one like 30 yard out to I think Means that was a laser beam. Shocked the hell out of me. Throwing on the run isnt his thing though.

Reactions: 4upmc and sonofabit
OK, I think in general I dont disagree with any of this.

But, Yarnell is mobile-ish. He is not a pure athlete in the slightest, but more like Justin Herbert if Herbert never lifted weights. Just tall and long strider. He showed some pretty good arm strength as well on some balls. He threw one like 30 yard out to I think Means that was a laser beam. Shocked the hell out of me. Throwing on the run isnt his thing though.

You would describe this pass at the 7:00 mark as a laser beam?

It was a good pass, but "laser beam" probably wouldn't be my adjective of choice.

yeah, 35 yards in the air right on target. Couldnt get much more laser guided than that. I thought it was a great pass.

The guy needs a weight room program
Good deep touch pass. Not a laser beam. Takes nothing away from the pass, it was perfect.

Good deep touch pass. Not a laser beam. Takes nothing away from the pass, it was perfect.
Passes over the middle had zip. Can sidearm if chased. Leadership is and has been a strongpoint even as scout QB according to staff. Still green “gamewise”.

So that's why he's at Pitt, maybe if he had balled out that year he'd be riding the bench in the SEC :)
With the offense/points his HS puts up year after year he probably would have got several SEC/B12 offers had he played his Sr year.

I think it was SC55 who described him well. Basically the other 2 QB,s flat out lost several games with their play. Nate won’t or hasn’t cost Pitt a game. Will he win a game on his own? Prob not yet at this point. But with a good OC and good players he can get the job done and help lead this team to wins.

The "Laser" comment might just be a difference in descriptions. It wasn't a laser in velocity but it was a beautiful pinpoint pass. That pass isn't intended for a high velocity pass. It's a touch pass that you drop in the "hole." There are some high level QB's - D1 guys that struggle with that throw so much so that DC's won't implement "smash" rules in coverage vs. this concept. They'll just leave the safety on that route instead of letting the corner play under it and the safety over the top.

In terms of velocity, when Yarnell warms up, he throws with great velocity and he gets tremendous spin on the ball. All great traits tbh.

Reactions: TD_6082
Nate is one of those players that doesn’t have great physical tools. He doesn’t have a great arm. Doesn’t always throw a pretty ball don’t seem very fast or agile but the kid appears to have the most important skills for a qb to have which are pocket presence and field vision. Hes more than good enough to win with but he’s not going to carry a team on his back and will them to win.

Having said that they need to bring in another qb because you can’t rely on one qb to make it through an entire season.

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT