ADVERTISEMENT

NC State Game & Other Dribbles ...

It is early to say this, but, I don't think this team is going to fade this year. I see big strong mature players who can handle the physical rigor of the conference schedule. Jamarius, Nelly, and Blake are tough minded leaders and are pulling the train. This year they have some help on the bench as well. NIKE looks like one of the best off the bench in the ACC. I am not certain where we end up this year and will not throw out a record prediction, what I am saying is these guys have talent and toughness, not unlike some of Jamie's teams, and will not pack it in when adversity strikes. I just pray we stay healthy, as we all know, Coach Capel has not had much luck keeping the roster whole.
Always think it’s a good sign when a team can win a game like last night, against a very good opponent on the road, in a different way than maybe was expected.

Pitt was only 6-22 from 3. Hugley a non-factor again. Yet a solid and convincing 8 point win. Team defense, rebounding and valuing the ball have to be constants. FT shooting should be, too. And last night they responded and were 12-15 (80%).

But really liked that Pitt outscored NCSU 30-24 in the paint. A lot of that was due to Burton. He recognized that the ‘Pack G’s couldn’t handle him. So he sliced through either all the way to the rim or for pull-up, mid-range J’s. That’s a shot that has fallen out of favor in CBB. Somewhat understandable, of course in the context of how the game is played today. But when the 3’s aren’t falling, a made 2 is still an excellent alternative to a missed 3.

Keep finding ways and stacking wins. Beat Vandy and keep the momentum going. Success will help with the confidence and psyche of the team, too.

Always think it’s a good sign when a team can win a game like last night, against a very good opponent on the road, in a different way than maybe was expected.

Pitt was only 6-22 from 3. Hugley a non-factor again. Yet a solid and convincing 8 point win. Team defense, rebounding and valuing the ball have to be constants. FT shooting should be, too. And last night they responded and were 12-15 (80%).

But really liked that Pitt outscored NCSU 30-24 in the paint. A lot of that was due to Burton. He recognized that the ‘Pack G’s couldn’t handle him. So he sliced through either all the way to the rim or for pull-up, mid-range J’s. That’s a shot that has fallen out of favor in CBB. Somewhat understandable, of course in the context of how the game is played today. But when the 3’s aren’t falling, a made 2 is still an excellent alternative to a missed 3.

Keep finding ways and stacking wins. Beat Vandy and keep the momentum going. Success will help with the confidence and psyche of the team, too.

Really agree with all of this -- thanks.

Burton was too strong for little wirey guards and he was posting them alot to. It was a good strategy.

Really agree with all of this -- thanks.
Yeah your point on the fact that anyone can look good when you shoot like we did against NW, but when you don't shoot well, yet still relatively handle an ACC team on the road, that is more of an indication that this team could be better than we think. I thought that was really astute.

We are playing really unselfish basketball. For the first time.....in dare I say predating the Artis/Young group???

Yeah your point on the fact that anyone can look good when you shoot like we did against NW, but when you don't shoot well, yet still relatively handle an ACC team on the road, that is more of an indication that this team could be better than we think. I thought that was really astute.

We are playing really unselfish basketball. For the first time.....in dare I say predating the Artis/Young group???
Yep it’s been pretty to watch
Even in the soup cans - we saw flashes of this for a half .

I hope they realize how much of their offense was a function of really good defense !!!

Exactly. I had a friend from Carolina call me and tell me how impressed he was with our Northwestern win. I told him that 22 assists on 26 field goals was encouraging, but I’m not going to get excited about a win due to 63% shooting from behind the arc because you’re never gonna do that again. I don’t care who you are.

Now, stacking last night on top of it by winning multiple ways, and things are getting interesting.

Reactions: Drew1208
Yep it’s been pretty to watch
Even in the soup cans - we saw flashes of this for a half .

I hope they realize how much of their offense was a function of really good defense !!!
We have hints of those old Pitt teams. Burton, Hinton, Cummings, would fit real well in those 2000's teams. Federiko and the Spaniards aren't stiffs either that we aren't anchored to having to put Hugley out there for the bulk of the minutes.

Will be real interesting moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT