ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA issues one-time waiver exempting postseason participation from counting toward eligibility, per reports

RaleighPittFan

Assistant Coach
May 12, 2005
Last edited:
This seems like will be needed now that so many players opt out of bowl games. I can’t see why they wouldn’t make it permanent.

That's funny but disappointing. I really wanted to see a bowl game canceled because of a team not having enough available players. Soon, they will allow teams to play 2 bowl games in one season to replace a team who didn't have enough players.

Maybe NIL deals need bowl game incentives. Play or lose all money from NIL deal. Or play and get an extra bonus and you mention company name, write it on your cleats or on your wrist tape.

It's all a bunch of shit. NCAA is so screwed up

They are just making up arbitrary rules to keep the whole charade from crumbling down

- worldwide epidemic means you play a season with no fans = extra year

- tragedy strikes football team = extra year but only for final year players

- dont have enough players for a bowl game = use the redshirts

- still dont have enough = use message board posters

- no pay for play = just have boosters pay them salaries and we'll pretend its for marketing rights and not pay for play

Tired of it

They are just making up arbitrary rules to keep the whole charade from crumbling down

- worldwide epidemic means you play a season with no fans = extra year

- tragedy strikes football team = extra year but only for final year players

- dont have enough players for a bowl game = use the redshirts

- still dont have enough = use message board posters

- no pay for play = just have boosters pay them salaries and we'll pretend its for marketing rights and not pay for play

Tired of it
I've said to our crew that we should just enjoy it the next four, or five, years because they are ruining it all.

That's funny but disappointing. I really wanted to see a bowl game canceled because of a team not having enough available players. Soon, they will allow teams to play 2 bowl games in one season to replace a team who didn't have enough players.
That’s pretty much what happened in the Holiday Bowl last year with UCLA saying they didn’t have enough available players at certain positions.

That’s a good rule.

Bowl games for the most part should be “prepare for next season” games. That’s almost what most coaches have said for a while now as it relates to the extra practices. Those are always put in the context of next season’s level of play.

That’s a good rule.

Bowl games for the most part should be “prepare for next season” games. That’s almost what most coaches have said for a while now as it relates to the extra practices. Those are always put in the context of next season’s level of play.
So sponsors are going to want to keep these bowls going when all that's left to play on the teams are 2nd, and 3rd stringers I tend to doubt it

Since many players are opting out now, it's obvious that bowl games (other than the playoffs) mean little to the players.

I'm all for not counting bowl participation against eligibility (except for the playoffs). This could make the bowls more interesting by giving the fans an opportunity to see how future players look.

So sponsors are going to want to keep these bowls going when all that's left to play on the teams are 2nd, and 3rd stringers I tend to doubt it

Sponsors are going to want to keep bowls going as long as lots of people watch them. Sponsors don't care if the players are starters, backups or third teamers. They only care if people are watching.

So far, people keep watching.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Since many players are opting out now, it's obvious that bowl games (other than the playoffs) mean little to the players.

I'm all for not counting bowl participation against eligibility (except for the playoffs). This could make the bowls more interesting by giving the fans an opportunity to see how future players look.

The next rule to come into play will be that players who graduated last year can come back to play in a bowl game unless they've already played pro football. Or maybe you can borrow a player from another team. Maybe we can make it like youth rec sports. If you dont have enough players, just borrow the worst one from the other team and we're good to go.

Sponsors are going to want to keep bowls going as long as lots of people watch them. Sponsors don't care if the players are starters, backups or third teamers. They only care if people are watching.

So far, people keep watching.

Bowl games fill the void of people sitting around during the day on Christmas break. They aren’t going anywhere, because they don’t need to be great or have experienced players in them to draw an audience.

They just need to be good enough to have in the background while your grandmother grills you over when are you going to settle down and find a nice girl.

Bowl games fill the void of people sitting around during the day on Christmas break. They aren’t going anywhere, because they don’t need to be great or have experienced players in them to draw an audience.

They just need to be good enough to have in the background while your grandmother grills you over when are you going to settle down and find a nice girl.

Absolutely. People watch bowl games with MAC teams and Sun Belt teams and Mountain West teams and so on, and they could not name one player on those teams when they first turn it on. They have no idea who is a regular starter and who is a backup and who opted out, or any of that kind of stuff, until the game announcers tell them about it.

It's just a football game to watch, nothing more, nothing less.

Absolutely. People watch bowl games with MAC teams and Sun Belt teams and Mountain West teams and so on, and they could not name one player on those teams when they first turn it on. They have no idea who is a regular starter and who is a backup and who opted out, or any of that kind of stuff, until the game announcers tell them about it.

It's just a football game to watch, nothing more, nothing less.
Agents Of Shield Yes GIF by ABC Network

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT