ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAT should be 72 teams

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Not just saying this because we've been on the bubble. There's 360 teams. Only the top 48 or so make the tournament. There's tournament-worthy teams who are left out. I'd do a 2 day jamboree in Dayton.

Wednesday
@ Wright State
2PM - 16 seeds
4:30 - 11 seeds

@ U of Dayton
7PM - 16 seeds
9:30 - 11 seeds

Thursday
repeat Wednesday schedule

Friday/Saturday 1st Round

Sunday/Monday 2nd Round

Sweet 16 - Friday/Saturday in 4 different windows: Fri - 4, 6:30, 8:30, 11 (West games), Sat - 2, 4:30, 7, 9:30

Not just saying this because we've been on the bubble. There's 360 teams. Only the top 48 or so make the tournament. There's tournament-worthy teams who are left out. I'd do a 2 day jamboree in Dayton.

Wednesday
@ Wright State
2PM - 16 seeds

@ U of Dayton
7PM - 16 seeds

Thursday

Sunday/Monday 2nd Round

Sweet 16 - Friday/Saturday in 4 different windows: Fri - 4, 6:30, 8:30, 11 (West games), Sat - 2, 4:30, 7, 9:30
Only 10-15 teams can win it all in any given year and you feel the need to add even more teams that have no chance. Got it.

Wednesday
@ Wright State
2PM - 16 seeds

@ U of Dayton
7PM - 16 seeds

Thursday

Sunday/Monday 2nd Round

I’m surprised you didn’t suggest this early round “jamboree” should be played at the Wheeling Civic Center.

Make it 128 and first round played at home court of higher seed so teams can make some money after spending all that NIL money to get players.

Reactions: ratking17
Why not? Conference tourney's include most if not all, Basketball is a tournament sport, SMF is finally on to something.

Yes, the age of the end of merit.
In 1985 when it expanded to 64 teams, there were like 280 teams. Now there are 350 with an additional 4 slots available.

23% of schools made the tournament in 1985, but only 19% make it in 2023. If the tournament expanded to 76 teams then 22% of schools would make it.

Only 10-15 teams can win it all in any given year and you feel the need to add even more teams that have no chance. Got it.

I wouldn't say that. We've had 8 and 9 seeds play for the title recently and many 5 seeds or worse make the Final Four. When you look at pro sports, almost half the league makes the playoffs. In college basketball, its 18.7%. Even if you include only Power 6 conferences, its about 40%. For me, its not about ensuring that last year Clemson makes it because they could have won the NC. They wouldn't have. There's good teams that miss it. And its more basketball and it should make more money. I was at Pitt/Mississippi State last year and that was a big-time environment. Felt every bit like an NCAAT game. If college basketball got a few more of those games, it would be a good thing.

There has been a 7-seed or above in the final 4 in 9 of the past 10 tournaments.

There has been a 7-seed or above in the final 4 in 9 of the past 10 tournaments.

That's a crazy stat. This isnt college football. There is a ton of parity in college basketball, moreso than ever since every team is a new team every year. I mean we may not make the NCAA Tournament but would anyone be completely shocked if we got hot and made the Final Four? The difference between not making it and making a run to a Final Four isnt as wide as it once was.

Great stat. Maybe the transfers are creating more parity than people expected. It's a long way from the days of Christian Laettner and Grant Hill playing four years for Duke.

No. If anything they should shrink the tournament. I want fewer bad teams, not more.

I wouldn't say that. We've had 8 and 9 seeds play for the title recently and many 5 seeds or worse make the Final Four. When you look at pro sports, almost half the league makes the playoffs. In college basketball, its 18.7%. Even if you include only Power 6 conferences, its about 40%. For me, its not about ensuring that last year Clemson makes it because they could have won the NC. They wouldn't have. There's good teams that miss it. And its more basketball and it should make more money. I was at Pitt/Mississippi State last year and that was a big-time environment. Felt every bit like an NCAAT game. If college basketball got a few more of those games, it would be a good thing.
and none of that has anything to do with adding more lousy teams to the mix...those 8-9s earned it...btw, they did not win did they? A birth should be a rewards and not another money making scheme...enough of that going on to ruin college athletics as it is...

here's a brief recap of the past few years...Uconn, Kansas, Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina, Villanova, Duke Uconn, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Florida, Florida, North Carolina.........We need more mediocre teams to end this trend now or because more 9th place conference teams locking horns makes more money !!! hahaha

Last edited:

Wednesday
@ Wright State
2PM - 16 seeds

@ U of Dayton
7PM - 16 seeds

Thursday

Sunday/Monday 2nd Round

Would this mean that a 6-12 tOSU team gets in, which was almost the case last year? No thanks.

Would this mean that a 6-12 tOSU team gets in, which was almost the case last year? No thanks.

No. Its 4 more teams. Last year, it would have been Oklahoma State, Rutgers, Clemson, and North Carolina. North Carolina at 9PM in Dayton is good TV.

The idea that only 10-15 teams in a given year are capable of winning it is a ridiculous proposition considering that virtually every year a team outside the top 10-15 teams is a game away from playing for the championship.

I mean last year 3 out of the 4 Final 4 teams wouldn't have been considered top 10-15, with 2x 5-seeds and a 9-seed.

Hell 2 years ago UNC was a possession away from winning it all and I think the last time they were ranked in the top 25 was November. It took the biggest championship game comeback in the history of the tournament for a top-25 team to win.

The idea that only 10-15 teams in a given year are capable of winning it is a ridiculous proposition considering that virtually every year a team outside the top 10-15 teams is a game away from playing for the championship.

I mean last year 3 out of the 4 Final 4 teams wouldn't have been considered top 10-15, with 2x 5-seeds and a 9-seed.

Hell 2 years ago UNC was a possession away from winning it all and I think the last time they were ranked in the top 25 was November. It took the biggest championship game comeback in the history of the tournament for a top-25 team to win.

You cant get too big. Like a whole extra round and 96 teams is too many. But there's a sweet spot. Having 8 teams play for the 16 seeds then having 8 teams from the power conferences play for the 11 seeds is better than repeats of Impractical Jokers which would be normally airing on truTV in those timeslots.

You cant get too big. Like a whole extra round and 96 teams is too many. But there's a sweet spot. Having 8 teams play for the 16 seeds then having 8 teams from the power conferences play for the 11 seeds is better than repeats of Impractical Jokers which would be normally airing on truTV in those timeslots.
You're adding big costs to lowball squads like Duquesne and RMU. The Dukes play tonight vs. LaSalle. if they were in the scramble and put into San Francisco or Seattle. who the hell would go to that? They'll have about 400 tonight.

10-15? Haven't FAU, Butler, George Mason, make the Final 4? Didn't Butler make the Final twice? Seems like potentially a lot more might win it than 10-15.

Reactions: NTOP
Aren't there 68 teams now? What do you mean 48?

In 1985 when it expanded to 64 teams, there were like 280 teams. Now there are 350 with an additional 4 slots available.

23% of schools made the tournament in 1985, but only 19% make it in 2023. If the tournament expanded to 76 teams then 22% of schools would make it.
Let's cut to the chase....EVERY team gets a bid.

Heck, we can have Oprah give them out....you get a bid and you get a bid....

Let's cut to the chase....EVERY team gets a bid.

Heck, we can have Oprah give them out....you get a bid and you get a bid....

In pro sports, about 50% of teams make the playoffs. There a 91 Power 7 teams (if we include the MWC) for roughly 40 spots. The idea that lower percentage of COLLEGE basketball power conference teams make the playoffs than NBA teams is ridiculous. I think a few teams need to be added. Not a ton. But we need to get the power conference ratio up to the NBA and NHL I think.

The top 48ish teams in the country make it. The remaining teams are auto qualifiers from mid-major and low major leagues.
OK, you mean the top 48 "subjective" best like in college football. In basketball these teams often lose to the low major auto qualifiers.

In pro sports, about 50% of teams make the playoffs. There a 91 Power 7 teams (if we include the MWC) for roughly 40 spots. The idea that lower percentage of COLLEGE basketball power conference teams make the playoffs than NBA teams is ridiculous. I think a few teams need to be added. Not a ton. But we need to get the power conference ratio up to the NBA and NHL I think.
I don't think so, it's like in football, I won't feel sorry for the 4th place SEC team being left out in favor of a G5 team, yes they are BETTER, but F 'em :)

OK - that's your opinion. Not everyone agrees that more participants are better.

OK, you mean the top 48 "subjective" best like in college football. In basketball these teams often lose to the low major auto qualifiers.
According to my quick math, low-major auto qualifiers went 3-18 in the first round last year. 15 of those loses were to Power 5+Big East.

Just put the best 64 teams (computer ranked consensus top 64) in--then add all auto bid league champs not within the top 64 into a play in round and go with that--doubt the max number of teams would be more than 80 which is not less manageable than 72 would be.

If we were doing that Pitt (KenPom #52) would be in. I never felt it fair to exclude top 64 teams in favor of auto bid teams that wouldn't even sniff the actual top 64 based on their competition and performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT