ADVERTISEMENT

Need at least 4 more from the portal

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
1 - Punter who was a starter
2 - Inside linebacker who was a starter
3 - Corner who was a starter

4 - QB - just do not want one pre anointed as the stater. I want an open competition of the new guy and Nate and CV

I have us at 2 over the 85 right now

4 - QB - just do not want one pre anointed as the stater. I want an open competition of the new guy and Nate and CV

I'm curious what your math is on that. I had losing 19 and adding 23 which would put them 4 over.

10 - out of eligibility
9 - to the portal

19 - signed commits
4 - portal commits

Did not count:

Floyd (walk on)
Temple (withdrew from portal)
George (withdrew from portal)

I am also assuming that they started at 85 which could be wrong

Edit: out of eligibility should be 11, not 10, and I forgot to add in the 3 that declared for the draft, but still had eligibility. So that should be right at 85 then.

Last edited:
I'm curious what your math is on that. I had losing 19 and adding 23 which would put them 4 over.

10 - out of eligibility
9 - to the portal

19 - signed commits
4 - portal commits

Did not count:

Floyd (walk on)
Temple (withdrew from portal)
George (withdrew from portal)

I am also assuming that they started at 85 which could be wrong

Edit: out of eligibility should be 11, not 10, and I forgot to add in the 3 that declared for the draft, but still had eligibility. So that should be right at 85 then.

89…. Peak added it up on his podcast last night. I hope it gets to 93 or 94 need to cut the deadwood off this team…

89…. Peak added it up on his podcast last night. I hope it gets to 93 or 94 need to cut the deadwood off this team…
He is probably counting the two WOs awarded scholarships. A WR and a LB. I am not.

I saw those as 1 year scholarships given only because of availability.

He is probably counting the two WOs awarded scholarships. A WR and a LB. I am not.

Yeah, those need to come off the books (I'm not sure if they do officially, but we need to make it happen if they don't).

That said, I think DT is arguably the biggest need in the portal right now. I agree with the other four (I could go either way on another linebacker, but it sounds like we are adding one), but I would add DT as well. We lost all four guys who got significant reps last season, and we brought in a guy who may or may not be as good as the worst of the quartet, much less the best. That simply cannot be the only addition.

Reactions: 4upmc

What about the transfer LS. Is he a walk on like the one that left?

Where is the troll that giggles like a girl at every post when someone says something like this ?
and I would agree with the OP.

Yeah, those need to come off the books (I'm not sure if they do officially, but we need to make it happen if they don't).

That said, I think DT is arguably the biggest need in the portal right now. I agree with the other four (I could go either way on another linebacker, but it sounds like we are adding one), but I would add DT as well. We lost all four guys who got significant reps last season, and we brought in a guy who may or may not be as good as the worst of the quartet, much less the best. That simply cannot be the only addition.
and that was from a 3-9 team.

I don't care how many more we get from the portal as long as seven of them are punters.

Need a vet plug and play DT. The IU guy seems to have potential but hasn’t done much yet in college. No DT on the current roster has produced in college yet.

Then you better hit the portal and let the coaches know what you came up with

It is amazing how Pitt survived when players graduated in the pre-portal days.

Need a vet plug and play DT. The IU guy seems to have potential but hasn’t done much yet in college. No DT on the current roster has produced in college yet.
Agree. I limited myself to 4.

I hope Fitzsimmons is healthy. I think Neal and the 2 freshmen are good enough to play immediately.

Maybe because they were not losing players to the portal?
We lost 2 of significance and have already signed how many - 7 or 8? Now fans are clamoring to sign even more and get rid of players on the roster.

I'll have to give this a listen because I e been trying to keep track and haven't been doing a great job obviously.

We lost 2 of significance and have already signed how many - 7 or 8? Now fans are clamoring to sign even more and get rid of players on the roster.

Based on portal offers we've extended, the coaches don't agree with you at all. And that's a good thing.

Based on portal offers we've extended, the coaches don't agree with you at all. And that's a good thing.
This was a 3-9 team with the bulk of the best players moving on. I don't see how someone would argue the portal isn't warranted. Unless he's projecting a bunch of freshman day 1 starters.

The unknown toe is how does that extra space get cleared. Does PN tell people to move on? Can he even do that if they were guaranteed a 4 year scholarship upfront? Maybe it doesn't work that way anymore.

This was a 3-9 team with the bulk of the best players moving on. I don't see how someone would argue the portal isn't warranted. Unless he's projecting a bunch of freshman day 1 starters.

The unknown toe is how does that extra space get cleared. Does PN tell people to move on? Can he even do that if they were guaranteed a 4 year scholarship upfront? Maybe it doesn't work that way anymore.

Pretty sure the scholarships do come with a 4-year guarantee, but I don't think the 5th/6th years are mandatory. But, while I don't know exactly how they do it, they always find a way to make the numbers work. A lot of guys don't like where they're at in the Spring depth chart and the move on during that second portal window.

I can think of a number of guys not in the portal yet who my money would be on not playing at Pitt this coming season.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
If you've ever comprehended anything I've ever written, then you know that I don't think its a good to run off student-athletes who want to stay, whether the coaches agree or not. Despite some arguing otherwise, Pitt football remains a university-first enterprise and not a professional team.

If you've ever comprehended anything I've ever written, then you know that I don't think its a good to run off student-athletes who want to stay, whether the coaches agree or not. Despite some arguing otherwise, Pitt football remains a university-first enterprise and not a professional team.

It's not like they're sending a band of goons out to subdue these guys and drive them to the airport. Some of them only have a few years left to ever play football again; I'm sure they'd appreciate the honesty (i.e. telling them their place on the depth chart and what the realistic path to playing time looks like) so they could have a chance to transfer elsewhere and play.

Obviously every case is different, and I wholeheartedly agree that this is (yet another) dirty side of college football for the ones who actually do want to stay. That's why some of them are declared medically ineligible if they really like Pitt for academic reasons. It enables them to keep their scholarship and not count against the 85.

Pretty sure the scholarships do come with a 4-year guarantee, but I don't think the 5th/6th years are mandatory. But, while I don't know exactly how they do it, they always find a way to make the numbers work. A lot of guys don't like where they're at in the Spring depth chart and the move on during that second portal window.

I can think of a number of guys not in the portal yet who my money would be on not playing at Pitt this coming season.
I think it's actually a year to year scholarship, but universities don't often push people out. Outside of Deion

I think it's actually a year to year scholarship, but universities don't often push people out. Outside of Deion

Yes they do.
And now that the IC limit has been lifted, you’re going to see big recruiting classes every year and so massive push outs. In the past it only made sense to push out so many, because you were restrained by 25 a year. So if you pushed out too many you would struggle to get back up close to 85. No more.

Reactions: TitoBeagle

They have a meeting. In said meeting they say in a kind way “your never gonna play here” want me to make a call to Slippery Rock. Most teams have been doing this already, it has just sped up and in greater numbers because of the portal.

Yes they do.
And now that the IC limit has been lifted, you’re going to see big recruiting classes every year and so massive push outs. In the past it only made sense to push out so many, because you were restrained by 25 a year. So if you pushed out too many you would struggle to get back up close to 85. No more.

Yeah, I don't think I could be talked into believing that Nick Saban has never told a kid something to the extent of, "Pack your shit; Kent State will be here to pick you up at 12:30."

Reactions: cashisking884
I think it's actually a year to year scholarship

A few years ago the P5 conferences, soon to be the P4, passed a rule that scholarships are for four years, not one year renewable as per the NCAA rules. A couple of the G5 conferences also instituted that same rule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT