ADVERTISEMENT

New CBS projection: Belk vs. LSU

That would a Herculean task....even though wounded LSU is darn good.

I want nothing to do with schools that have beloved coaches and a possible last hurrah. Leave the lsu and Georgia match ups for other teams

Playing LSU is a no-lose proposition for Pitt. Win the game and it is an epic starting point into next season.... lose and it's no big deal because we were big underdogs to begin with.

Much rather play LSU in Charlotte than Indiana or Minnesota in NYC.

I want a win. Certain teams scare me (Indiana being one of them) 9 wins is crucial.

Disagree. Even a close loss to LSU in Charlotte is better than a win over 5-7 Minnesota in NYC. 8-5 and playing LSU generates a helluva lot more buzz than 9-4 and beating a sub-.500 blah team.

Narduzzi can sell playing...and even losing... to LSU a lot better than a nothingburger game against a B1G also-ran in NYC.

8-5 with close loss against LSU > 9-4 with win over Minn/Indiana

We need to have 9 wins and psu to lose their bowl game and get some of these local kids to see where the future is brighter

We need to have 9 wins and psu to lose their bowl game and get some of these local kids to see where the future is brighter

A close loss in a high-profile game with LSU will have a better effect on these local kids. A PSU loss, if they play any team with a pulse, is a given.

And the extreme benefits from a possible win against LSU would be ENORMOUS. That kind of win will have 10 times the impact that a win over a 5-7 Big Ten team would have.

Think big. Let's go for the big win, instead of the meaningless win.

Disagree. Even a close loss to LSU in Charlotte is better than a win over 5-7 Minnesota in NYC. 8-5 and playing LSU generates a helluva lot more buzz than 9-4 and beating a sub-.500 blah team.

Narduzzi can sell playing...and even losing... to LSU a lot better than a nothingburger game against a B1G also-ran in NYC.

8-5 with close loss against LSU > 9-4 with win over Minn/Indiana

No, that's stupid, a WIN is always BETTER! Couldn't care less about Creating BUZZ for "next year", I care about the DAY OF THE GAME only, I want to get some enjoyment out of watching the game, meaning, I want to either WIN or have a really competitive game. Losing to some marquee team, just to brag that you played them is less satisfying than JUST WINNING ANY GAME AGAINST ANY TEAM. So in your view, are you always playing for NEXT YEAR ONLY if you're not in the playoff? When do you play for TODAY'S GAME?

No, that's stupid, a WIN is always BETTER! Couldn't care less about Creating BUZZ for "next year", I care about the DAY OF THE GAME only, I want to get some enjoyment out of watching the game, meaning, I want to either WIN or have a really competitive game. Losing to some marquee team, just to brag that you played them is less satisfying than JUST WINNING ANY GAME AGAINST ANY TEAM. So in your view, are you always playing for NEXT YEAR ONLY if you're not in the playoff? When do you play for TODAY'S GAME?

I would prefer the opportunity to win against LSU in a high-profile game over the opportunity to win against a 5-7 Big Ten team in a nothingburger game.

Reach for the brass ring. Have faith in the big win. A win over an LSU in the Belk would have such an incredible effect on recruiting and next year's ticket sales that it would be staggering. It would be the biggest Pitt win since 12-1-2007 - and THAT win had a great effect on recruiting and ticket sales.

And if you want to win BIG in the future, you need to jumpstart recruiting. Beating LSU does that. Beating a 5-7 Minnesota team = meh.

The risk/reward against a 5-7 Minnesota team is bad. You win, you were supposed to. You lose, it is a a disaster.

The risk/reward against an LSU team is good. You win, it is ENORMOUS. You lose, you were supposed to.

I'd rather have an even match up and see a good game that is watchable to the end, rather than go into a game where the expectation is we lose by 30, and us winning would be unbelievable. Like I said, I just want a good game to see for TODAY, where I can be entertained by a win or at least a nail biter. I'm not concerned about any future implications that any matchup may cause. Going into a game that everyone concedes we'd lose 99 time out of 100 is unappealing to me. Like when we played Ole Miss in the Compass Bowl, everyone was all excited, Whoopie we're playing the SEC! YAY! Yay is right, lol, we lost like 42-13 didn't we? Sorry, I enjoyed winning the Pizza Bowl over Bowling Green 31-27, way more than getting pounded by the SEC team. I guess playing a game where we're "supposed to lose" is not appealing to me.

Nope, I want to see us vs LSU. Who cares about playing Indiana or Minnesota, boring yawn game where no one will be watching.

Unless it is Wisconsin, then I would be interested in that game.

Nope, I want to see us vs LSU. Who cares about playing Indiana or Minnesota, boring yawn game where no one will be watching.

Unless it is Wisconsin, then I would be interested in that game.
I don't care about anybody watching besides myself. I personally want a good game, preferably a win, and don't care if it's just me and the people that comment on this link here watching on TV.

I agree in that I want to see 9 wins, but a lot of that depends on who that opponent is.

As I and others have said, Indiana is the epitome of a lose-lose game for Pitt. PSU 29 Indiana 7 - missing players or not - is all you need to know.
A no-name 5-7 Big Ten team isn't much better; I'd rather see Navy or Bowling Green or some other mid major that at least knowledgeable fans respect.

As for LSU, I don't really know. I think UPitt's argument - while rather exaggerated - would make more sense if LSU was still ranked Top 10. I'm not there's much opportunity for a moral victory against them at this point. Still, it is at least a name opponent that is at least sellable (for the same reason, I don't think too many of us would mind a 5-7 Nebraska team)

I'd rather have an even match up and see a good game that is watchable to the end, rather than go into a game where the expectation is we lose by 30, and us winning would be unbelievable. Like I said, I just want a good game to see for TODAY, where I can be entertained by a win or at least a nail biter. I'm not concerned about any future implications that any matchup may cause. Going into a game that everyone concedes we'd lose 99 time out of 100 is unappealing to me. Like when we played Ole Miss in the Compass Bowl, everyone was all excited, Whoopie we're playing the SEC! YAY! Yay is right, lol, we lost like 42-13 didn't we? Sorry, I enjoyed winning the Pizza Bowl over Bowling Green 31-27, way more than getting pounded by the SEC team. I guess playing a game where we're "supposed to lose" is not appealing to me.

We can give LSU a run. They are 1 dimensional and it plays into our favor. To be the Best you have to Beat the best. Beating a 5-7 Big ten team is worthless.

Hail to Pitt!

Dave

Reactions: PittPoker
When we get close to being the best, fine, to me a moral victory, like losing 31-27 to LSU would be a downer, I'd rather beat Minnesota 31-27. I just want to WIN, I don't care about marketing for future seasons. And recruits and people aren't impressed with close losses to power teams, they just see 9-4 or 8-5.

According to both Sagarin and ESPN FPI.... LSU would be a 5-point favorite over Pitt on a neutral field and have a 65% chance of winning.

That's 35 out of 100 that Pitt would win. You're selling your school short.

When we get close to being the best, fine, to me a moral victory, like losing 31-27 to LSU would be a downer, I'd rather beat Minnesota 31-27. I just want to WIN, I don't care about marketing for future seasons. And recruits and people aren't impressed with close losses to power teams, they just see 9-4 or 8-5.
Recruits won't even watch our game against a 5-7 Minnesota on the day after Christmas.

But they are much more likely to watch our game against LSU.

Playing LSU is a no-lose proposition for Pitt. Win the game and it is an epic starting point into next season.... lose and it's no big deal because we were big underdogs to begin with.

Much rather play LSU in Charlotte than Indiana or Minnesota in NYC.
Yes me too, much rather see Pitt play LSU not Indiana or Minnesota , yes if we win it would be great for recruiting and great start for next year and if we lose could show us where we need to go and what is need to compete at a higher level, playing LSU is a win, win situation

Yes me too, much rather see Pitt play LSU not Indiana or Minnesota , yes if we win it would be great for recruiting and great start for next year and if we lose could show us where we need to go and what is need to compete at a higher level, playing LSU is a win, win situation
And conversely, playing Indiana is a lose-lose.

A. If we lose to a team that lost 29-7 against PSU... it will look REALLY bad and kill all the momentum of this season.

B. If we beat a 6-6/2-6 Indiana team narrowly.... it will be "Congrats, the 5th best team in the ACC barely beat the 8th-best team in the Big Ten."

The only way a game against Indiana is a "win" is if we dominate the game.

LSU' QB blows. Pitt can win that game. They only beat SU b/c Fournette took over.

hEY Pitt 79 -- I think we all get your point -- no need to repeat it again 7,000,000 times in this thread

You'd rather see us play the Christian Sisters of Charity and get the win rather than play a big time opponent and possibly lose

Have you considered the possibility that we might play the CSC and still LOSE?

Whoever we play, I will watch, I just want to see a good game, that's priority one. I don't want to feel like turning off the TV because we're down 30 in the 3rd quarter. I want to ENJOY the game, not worry abut perception for future years. If we play LSU and lose 31-30 great, but I'll honestly say, I'd rather beat Minnesota or Illinois 31-30, because WIN>LOSS every time.

I'd rather play one of the blue bloods every time. A win against Indiana/Minnesota and no one will really care too much. We hang with or beat LSU and we raise our profile in front of a much larger TV audience.

Without even looking at the lineup and conference affiliations, I can assure you Pitt will be playing on the 26th or the 30th (specifically in the afternoon) because that's when we're traveling to/from Chicago. :(

Whoever we play, I will watch, I just want to see a good game, that's priority one. I don't want to feel like turning off the TV because we're down 30 in the 3rd quarter. I want to ENJOY the game, not worry abut perception for future years. If we play LSU and lose 31-30 great, but I'll honestly say, I'd rather beat Minnesota or Illinois 31-30, because WIN>LOSS every time.
Why not attend the game and support your school?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT