ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

Adam Breneman caught 15 total passes in 2 years at PS and then caught 134 in 2 years under Whipple. Hopefully the difference in system and coaching improves our offense. Time will tell.
I had no idea that dude ended up at Mass. he was the 4 or 5 star TE that went to PSU (I think this is the dude) even though he didn't play as a senior.. I remember thinking how he could be rated so high while not playing his sr year of high school.

I had no clue he picked up football again and put up great numbers at Umass. This is definitely a good sign for Whipple and for Pitt (I hope).;

I bet you guys are right. Although I can't help but think there is a chance albeit a slim one that they were in on a grad transfer we didn't know about or wasn't discussed often. Maybe a linemen?

Adam Breneman caught 15 total passes in 2 years at PS and then caught 134 in 2 years under Whipple. Hopefully the difference in system and coaching improves our offense. Time will tell.

Breneman was hurt for most of that stint at PSU so it's hard to know for sure. UMass was doing very well in acquiring D-1 letdowns. Chad Ford was his QB and was recruited by Pitt before going to VaTech.

I'm only kidding with my original comment.

If someone is coming in that means someone is leaving.
He doesn't graduate from Rutgers until May and will transfer in shortly there after. I would expect to see several leave the Pitt program after spring drills and thus there may be several slots available for transfers.

He doesn't graduate from Rutgers until May and will transfer in shortly there after. I would expect to see several leave the Pitt program after spring drills and thus there may be several slots available for transfers.
Correct - the roster isn’t set in stone.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Lots of positives in this recruit, and as mentioned earlier in the thread maybe a large upside in the proper setting!
Agree.
It appears do to injuries and other factors this guy should have a lot of upside and something to prove!
The something to prove is an intangible that's very important in sports.
Ask Arron Rogers who in a TV interview pulled out a piece of paper from his wallet which included all top college programs that turned him down. He said he carries this piece of paper around with him all the time

In the interview he said he used the " something to prove" as a motivating factor and was a key to his overwhelming success.

Reactions: Parkview57
The something to prove is an intangible that's very important in sports.

I would add that in addition, he is a two time All-Academic Big-Ten selectee, and he has been described in two places I have read to be a very good leader, and he is listed at 6'5 255, plus has played in 24 games. None of which means a lot but it is really a great place to start. Look, I understand the detractors but Pitt needs to turn this around now, hence I like the addition, but like all recruiting,time will tell.

Didn't we have the same types of posts praising Gragg last year? And Gragg had a much better resume if I remember correctly.

Some of you guys will get excited about any Pitt recruit, no matter what the resume is.

With the recruits we've been landing Narduzzi has to try to pull a few rabbits out of a rabbit hole and hope they over- achieve.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!!

Didn't we have the same types of posts praising Gragg last year? And Gragg had a much better resume if I remember correctly.

Some of you guys will get excited about any Pitt recruit, no matter what the resume is.

The excitement over Gragg had to do with him being a former 4 star recruit. Much like our former 5 star QB transfer, the star ranking didn't mean sh!t.

Not sure why the easy there cowboy comment was made? A large upside in the proper setting sounds like a reasonable expectation to me also.
let me ask you an honest question: How much "upside" does a 5th year player who didn't start at Rutgers and who barely registered stats really have?

let me ask you an honest question: How much "upside" does a 5th year player who didn't start at Rutgers and who barely registered stats really have?
well I think it gives you another body with experience. I think you have a kid who is 21 (not sure his age) who has played against P5 competition and probably has a good feel for the game.. I think it buys you another year of having to rush one of our younger players into game reps when maybe he isn't quite ready. a possible domino effect, maybe we can keep a player like Wright redshirt where if an injury happens, the staff is forced to make a desperation move. it gives you depth too, options for some more packages..

I don't think we are all giddy with excitement here but I think it's a nice addition. No one is expecting 40 receptions or a dominant TE. No one is now looking into fiesta bowl hotel reservations because we picked him up. I think it's OK to be happy about this addition.

well I think it gives you another body with experience. I think you have a kid who is 21 (not sure his age) who has played against P5 competition and probably has a good feel for the game.. I think it buys you another year of having to rush one of our younger players into game reps when maybe he isn't quite ready. a possible domino effect, maybe we can keep a player like Wright redshirt where if an injury happens, the staff is forced to make a desperation move. it gives you depth too, options for some more packages..

I don't think we are all giddy with excitement here but I think it's a nice addition. No one is expecting 40 receptions or a dominant TE. No one is now looking into fiesta bowl hotel reservations because we picked him up. I think it's OK to be happy about this addition.
I don't disagree with the idea that adding an experienced body at a thin position is a positive. But "upside" is a different concept altogether. This guy is what he is after 4 years of college football.

I don't disagree with the idea that adding an experienced body at a thin position is a positive. But "upside" is a different concept altogether. This guy is what he is after 4 years of college football.
well for the most part, yes. I mean we could potentially have a Coordinator that can utilize him a bit better than Rutgers but you can say that about anyone.. dude has been in P5 football for 3+ years, if he hasn't reached his upside yet, it isn't happening.

It's roster management. The OC is going to dictate whether or not the TEs catch more balls this season.

I'm sure the kid will fill in much like the other graduate transfers have at Pitt.

It's roster management. The OC is going to dictate whether or not the TEs catch more balls this season.

I'm sure the kid will fill in much like the other graduate transfers have at Pitt.
Agree with you on all of this.

But "upside" is a different concept altogether. This guy is what he is after 4 years of college football.

Yes, I should have defined the context in which I attached the term "upside" to this player. 1. A major factor is time, (as in year 5, with 12 wins in years 3+4)
so compared to a 6'4 235 lb TF, Pitt gets a 6'5' 255 player that played in, and prepared for his last 24 games, who is a great student, and others have identified as a good team leader. 2. Maybe the new O.C. can figure out how to use a 6'5 receiver. 3. Some of the current TE's are candidates for OT or so it appears, and pitt has some success in that area.

Speaking of upside, I was pretty much ready to give up on Darrin Hall (his "upside" not his attitude effort,etc.,)after seeing him for a good part of 3 years, but he proved me wrong, now I think,given the right situation/opportunity, he could have some success at the next level.

lol no. It just shows you how not excited I am about a grad transfer from Rutgers. This is now the 2nd time we've dipped into this pool. He won't do more than Flannigan did.
If he avoids being responsible for our starting qb being injured and ending his college career, he’s one up on Flanagan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT