ADVERTISEMENT

New name for Wrestling job

Not sure about the beef some might have but I appreciate the info/opinions posted here. Tough getting Pitt wrestling news.

Realize the circumstances are different in terms of support, but Iowa State has outlined a plan to rise from the ashes: Convince a front-line coach to come on board, allow him to hand pick a staff of studs who have cred and unleash holy hell in recruiting.
I understand Dresser's roots played a role in going back to the midwest but the formula isn't difficult if you commit.

Reactions: 33Rocks
Realize the circumstances are different in terms of support, but Iowa State has outlined a plan to rise from the ashes: Convince a front-line coach to come on board, allow him to hand pick a staff of studs who have cred and unleash holy hell in recruiting.
I understand Dresser's roots played a role in going back to the midwest but the formula isn't difficult if you commit.
100%...Did you see Dresser's presser with his staff? It was awesome. Iowa State was ranked 57th last year and watch how fast things change with the right people in charge. It's all about competence and commitment. It breaks my heart when I see a program like a Pitt, a true sleeping giant, for years not take the sport serious enough to compete at the highest level. I'll see what this hire brings. Holding out hope but the Santoro episode, had me doubting. Big time.

Reactions: MartiJagr
It can be tough to justify spending a lot of money on a sport that can't sustain itself. Penn State wrestling isn't what it is today if some very wealthy boosters didn't step up and make it happen by footing the bill to bring Cael over, pay assistants and start the upgrades.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
100%...Did you see Dresser's presser with his staff? It was awesome. Iowa State was ranked 57th last year and watch how fast things change with the right people in charge. It's all about competence and commitment. It breaks my heart when I see a program like a Pitt, a true sleeping giant, for years not take the sport serious enough to compete at the highest level. I'll see what this hire brings. Holding out hope but the Santoro episode, had me doubting. Big time.
You are so right, 33 Rocks!!! I was excited about Santoro!!! MAYBE GAVIN????

Reactions: BApanther
New to the board but a lifelong Pitt fan and wrestling fan from PA. From the outside looking in, this search is maddening. Santoro and Flynn pass, possibly using Pi6tt simply for leverage unless the rumors about the lack of admin commitment are true. Other names tossed in the mix fall flat except Brands, who isn't coming. So frustrating considering the built-in advantages that are sitting on the table like recruiting in the region, Young Guns, etc.
Any good news to pass this way?

I still like Kolat. I wonder if he has been contacted.

Now that I have had the time to think this over, I think Joe Heskett is well qualified to be a high level D1 coach. I have never met him or been around him at tournaments, clinics, or camps. I don't want to bash him. The process is what bothers me. Also, he may not want coach. I do know that he has/had a heart condition. Maybe that has something to do with why he isn't coaching now.

I think that people were more excited by Ralph Willard's hiring (and initial recruiting) than they were with Ben Howland's. Kevin Dresser left a high school coaching job to replace Tom Brands at VT. Tom Ryan went to OSU from Hofstra. I wonder if they were upset that he wasn't an alum or more of a household name? I would give Heskett a chance, but Pitt AD definitely looks bad at this point.

Reactions: BApanther
Now that I have had the time to think this over, I think Joe Heskett is well qualified to be a high level D1 coach. I have never met him or been around him at tournaments, clinics, or camps. I don't want to bash him. The process is what bothers me. Also, he may not want coach. I do know that he has/had a heart condition. Maybe that has something to do with why he isn't coaching now.

I think that people were more excited by Ralph Willard's hiring (and initial recruiting) than they were with Ben Howland's. Kevin Dresser left a high school coaching job to replace Tom Brands at VT. Tom Ryan went to OSU from Hofstra. I wonder if they were upset that he wasn't an alum or more of a household name? I would give Heskett a chance, but Pitt AD definitely looks bad at this point.
Good thoughts & interesting info

The silence is deafening . . . and maddening. Any news out there?
I really hope these two quotes below didn't stem from my above quote about the search intel going silent. I was referring to a pretty regular stream of information about candidates drying up and it being quiet for a few days. My "maddening" comment was about the process taking a while and the remaining solid candidates reducing. I really appreciate all the insights from the folks who have direct connections to any program (including wrestling) and the athletics department. If you have information about the search, please continue to share it. I think the relatively quiet majority greatly appreciates all the information on the search and the program posted on here over the past few weeks.

Why should we say anymore? People think it's gossip, they aren't comprehending and still insist that the coaches who were interviewed were doing it for leverage, that Pitt wasn't offering enough, etc. I never said I knew a guy. I said I talked with the horses. That means I got my facts straight from the horses' mouths! I'm done wasting my time on here.

This is the point I've reached too.

Reactions: persp

I would bet that the fans at tOSU werent upset with getting Ryan. Not sure how VT fans reacted to Dresser, but being a stud HS coach, from the area/state and a member of the Gable coaching tree, I'd bet they werent too upset.

I really hope these two quotes below didn't stem from my above quote about the search intel going silent. I was referring to a pretty regular stream of information about candidates drying up and it being quiet for a few days. My "maddening" comment was about the process taking a while and the remaining solid candidates reducing. I really appreciate all the insights from the folks who have direct connections to any program (including wrestling) and the athletics department. If you have information about the search, please continue to share it. I think the relatively quiet majority greatly appreciates all the information on the search and the program posted on here over the past few weeks.

Not at all. I tried to post some things I knew to be helpful because hey, we're all Pitt fans right? But then it always evolves into people questioning everything

Not at all. I tried to post some things I knew to be helpful because hey, we're all Pitt fans right? But then it always evolves into people questioning everything
Ok. Good. I get it and have been there. Hope they land a great coach. Seems like a program someone could take on a look like a hero in short order.

Does this problem sound familiar???
When your roof falls down you look at it, understand the problem and fix it so its doesn't fall down again.
This has happened over, and over again in different PITT sports.
Isnt it time to fix the "freakin" roof once and for all!

I actually am beginning to think PITT admin doesn't understand the problem or D1 U sports management??

They really don't and I don't think they ever have.

Saw on twitter from a former Lehigh wrestler who would know.....

"This is the same AD who gave Santoro a 10 minute interview before she walked out and called someone else to make them an offer via phone..."

Why should we say anymore? People think it's gossip, they aren't comprehending and still insist that the coaches who were interviewed were doing it for leverage, that Pitt wasn't offering enough, etc. I never said I knew a guy. I said I talked with the horses. That means I got my facts straight from the horses' mouths! I'm done wasting my time on here.

It's mostly just people looking for a way to try and excuse away the apparent incompetence of the new AD.

You're going to be vindicated because I'd guess there's next to no chance she finds a coach the caliber of Santoro or Flynn.

Perhaps she was either too arrogant or incompetent to realize that?

Reactions: bwh05
It's mostly just people looking for a way to try and excuse away the apparent incompetence of the new AD.

You're going to be vindicated because I'd guess there's next to no chance she finds a coach the caliber of Santoro or Flynn.

Perhaps she was either too arrogant or incompetent to realize that?
But PittLaw how could she NOT know what great choices Santoro and Flynn were???? WHO IN THE HELL IS ADVISING HER???

I would be doing anything I could to get Casey Cunningham. You want to make a statement. That would be a statement. The ex Army guy just doesn't do it for me. Gavin would make a great first assistant. The best program in the Country is PSU and Cunningham is ready to be a HC. Will someone get his name to Lyke. ASAP

Reactions: Chaos
Saw on twitter from a former Lehigh wrestler who would know.....

"This is the same AD who gave Santoro a 10 minute interview before she walked out and called someone else to make them an offer via phone..."
Wow, is this damning. And this is not the first place this has been aired. This new AD really had the ball at the 1 yard line and decided to do a triple reverse and now she is out of field goal range. We just need to hope that a great candidate falls in our lap from extenuating circumstances elsewhere...and she will probably eff that up too.

I would be doing anything I could to get Casey Cunningham. You want to make a statement. That would be a statement. The ex Army guy just doesn't do it for me. Gavin would make a great first assistant. The best program in the Country is PSU and Cunningham is ready to be a HC. Will someone get his name to Lyke. ASAP
but does he have OSU ties? because that is her prerequisite...

But PittLaw how could she NOT know what great choices Santoro and Flynn were???? WHO IN THE HELL IS ADVISING HER???

I'd be speculating because I don't know what her thought process is. But it occurred to me that Pitt fans in general seemed more aware of and interested in the opening because of Santoro's name being involved (even if they don't follow wrestling). So I find it hard to believe she didn't know who she was interviewing. And if she didn't know, that's a very bad sign.

I'd be speculating because I don't know what her thought process is. But it occurred to me that Pitt fans in general seemed more aware of and interested in the opening because of Santoro's name being involved (even if they don't follow wrestling). So I find it hard to believe she didn't know who she was interviewing. And if she didn't know, that's a very bad sign.

Ryan was a well known name in the wrestling community when he was at Hofstra. He had many wrestlers competing at the national level while there. Heskett on the other hand has zero tract record as a D1 coach. He has no name as a coach in the wrestling community.

I agree about Cunningham. I think he would be a home run pick. Everyone I have talked to says Cunningham runs PSU's program.

Reactions: steelton
Can't see either PSU assistant leaving, and I've got 1% belief that Kolat is a possibility.
Think a low-level head coach or unproven assistant is in the cards. After tossing aces back in the pile it's a sh1tty hand to play.
Hope I'm wrong.

Can't see either PSU assistant leaving, and I've got 1% belief that Kolat is a possibility.
Think a low-level head coach or unproven assistant is in the cards. After tossing aces back in the pile it's a sh1tty hand to play.
Hope I'm wrong.
This is becoming a method of "survival" for Pitt fans: by setting the bar low enough, you're rarely disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT