ADVERTISEMENT

New Pitt Chancellor (elect): Joan T.A. Gabel (U Minn President)

It looks like a lot of that land is on their secondary campus outside of the city. They have a big area adjacent to the Minnesota state fairgrounds where the university has most of its agriculture and veterinary programs.
Another figure lists it as 1,394 acres. The main campus hugs two banks of the Mississippi. My guess is the 1,394 is that main part on both banks.

Reactions: pittchagg
I think it is a surprising hire; to get a sitting head of a major research institution. From the outside, it appears as a curious lateral move; but she might have wanted a change of scenery with recent controversies.

I think we'll need to hear how some Gophers think.
This is promissing on the surface: https://www.twincitiesdunkers.com/Joan-Gabel

I'm sure it will warm up the engines of some on-campus stadium conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

She helped finish off a $4 billion fundraising campaign. Pitt hasn't had a public capital campaign since Nordenburg. This is probably definitely coming.
May you expand on that last part please? I’d imagine a capital funding campaign would be just for general funding purposes? Also, I saw the public-private partnership she created with some of the FAANG companies at the U of MN… is there an opportunity for a similar partnership that doesn’t currently exist here?

May you expand on that last part please? I’d imagine a capital funding campaign would be just for general funding purposes? Also, I saw the public-private partnership she created with some of the FAANG companies at the U of MN… is there an opportunity for a similar partnership that doesn’t currently exist here?
I primarily meant that Pitt was well overdue for a capital campaign. The last was the Building Our Future Together campaign back circa 2000-2013 that raised ~$2 billion. It's been 10 years. These are overall campaigns for all sorts of things. I would have to imagine this time around a big emphasis would be financial aid/scholarship support.

Of course there's always opportunities for all types of partnerships. More so now that tech companies are moving into health care, but they'll always look first to CMU, so Pitt will have to work hard at capturing their attention. At one point they were planning a facility for the new School of Computing and Information on the Syria Mosque parking lot site. So there are some school sponsorship and facilities opportunities there.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Simplistic as it may sound, I like the fact that she is a "Pitt Mom"......she also mentions the "energy" around the place, and lastly , coming into a situation where the AD has been nationally recognized for her talent, one would think that the new "boss" would allow HL to run her own athletic department.

I primarily meant that Pitt was well overdue for a capital campaign. The last was the Building Our Future Together campaign back circa 2000-2013 that raised ~$2 billion. It's been 10 years. These are overall campaigns for all sorts of things. I would have to imagine this time around a big emphasis would be financial aid/scholarship support.

Of course there's always opportunities for all types of partnerships. More so now that tech companies are moving into health care, but they'll always look first to CMU, so Pitt will have to work hard at capturing their attention. At one point they were planning a facility for the new School of Computing and Information on the Syria Mosque parking lot site. So there are some school sponsorship and facilities opportunities there.
I am shocked they haven’t started a new one by now. University of Michigan wrapped a $5B campaign like two years ago and they’re already in their next one.

Though I imagine if Pitt is going to announce one in the next 2-3 years then they’re already in the silent phase.

This can only mean one thing. Pitt and UPJ are both getting men’s hockey teams, rivaling what Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth have put together.

Will she bring science back to the anthropology department?
FYI, Yearwood is a "teaching professor," among the lowest rung of "professorship" at the university. This is an "appointment stream" position, not a tenure stream position, and it looks like one of only two "appointment stream" faculty in the Department (with the remaining 14 faculty members being tenure-stream and two visiting professors). His duties would be primarily undergrad teaching in the department, although he is involved in a racial justice center in the law school so he may get some service hours to relieve his anthropology teaching duties. Hopefully, his statement doesn't reflect the views of the actual tenure stream faculty in the anthropology department as they all should be greatly embarrassed by his subjugation of long known and basic fact and science to his political ideologies; and there is no debating this point. He would be hard to get rid of, nonetheless, and politically unfeasible to do so, as mentioned previously, probably even if the department wanted to. But it is too bad the reply back to him after his "I've got a PhD" nonsense wasn't "but you are only a teaching professor, is there a real tenure-stream professor that can answer?" (with apologies to all teaching professors that aren't compromised ideologues).

Last edited:
FYI, Yearwood is a "teaching professor," among the lowest rung of "professorship" at the university. This is an "appointment stream" position, not a tenure stream position, and it looks like one of only two "appointment stream" faculty in the Department (with the remaining 14 faculty members being tenure-stream and two visiting professors). His duties would be primarily undergrad teaching in the department, although he is involved in a racial justice center in the law school so he may get some service hours to relieve his anthropology teaching duties. Hopefully, his statement doesn't reflect the views of the actual tenure stream faculty in the anthropology department as they all should be greatly embarrassed by his subjugation of long known and basic fact and science to his political ideologies; and there is no debating this point. He would be hard to get rid of, nonetheless, and politically unfeasible to do so, as mentioned previously, probably even if the department wanted to. But it is too bad the reply back to him after his "I've got a PhD" nonsense wasn't "but you are only a teaching professor, is there a real tenure-stream professor that can answer?" (with apologies to all teaching professors that aren't compromised ideologues).
All of that might mean something to you, but the world in general sees Pitt as a clown school when that story is reported.

All of that might mean something to you, but the world in general sees Pitt as a clown school when that story is reported.
No argument it reflects poorly, mostly on himself as clearly the room full of other Pitt people didn't buy his intellectual dishonesty, but it is worth noting this person is not remotely in any position of leadership in the Department and is not even in a position to get tenure, at least for those concerned about the state of the Department or university. These types, unfortunately, not at all unique to Pitt.

No argument it reflects poorly, mostly on himself as clearly the room full of other Pitt people didn't buy his intellectual dishonesty, but it is worth noting this person is not remotely in any position of leadership in the Department and is not even in a position to get tenure, at least for those concerned about the state of the Department or university. These types, unfortunately, not at all unique to Pitt.
Pretty embarrassing. Even my friends from Berkley thought this was over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT