ADVERTISEMENT

New USF stadium is a go

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

That leaves Pitt, Miami, UCLA, and Temple as the only 4 FBS schools who dont have a stadium. Ironically, in the SMU ACC press conference the President said he remembers driving home from an old home game at the Cotton Bowl saying to the AD "we got to get this thing back on campus" and spoke at length about how important being on campus was.

from 2018 so may be a few outdated teams on here:

Number of miles from campus

ConnecticutStorrs, CTPratt & Whitney Stadium19
Miami (FL)Coral Gables, FLHard Rock Stadium17
UCLALos Angeles, CARose Bowl17
UTSASan Antonio, TXAlamodome15
HawaiiHonolulu, HIAloha Stadium9
South FloridaTampa, FLRaymond James Stadium8
UNLVParadise, NVSam Boyd Stadium7
South AlabamaMobile, ALLadd-Peebles Stadium6
TemplePhiladelphia, PALincoln Financial Field5
WashingtonSeattle, WAHusky Stadium4
North Carolina StateRaleigh, NCCarter-Finley Stadium3
PittsburghPittsburgh, PAHeinz Field3
San Diego StateSan Diego, CASDCCU Stadium3
UABBirmingham, ALLegion Field2
BaylorWaco, TXMcLane Stadium2
Kent StateKent, OHDix Stadium2
MemphisMemphis, TNLiberty Bowl Memorial Stadium2
South CarolinaColumbia, SCWillams-Brice Stadium2
Georgia StateAtlanta, GAGeorgia State Stadium1.5
NavyAnnapolis, MDNavy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium1
NorthwesternEvanston, ILRyan Field1
OregonEugene, ORAutzen Stadium1
San Jose StateSan Jose, CACEFCU1

That leaves Pitt, Miami, UCLA, and Temple as the only 4 FBS schools who dont have a stadium. Ironically, in the SMU ACC press conference the President said he remembers driving home from an old home game at the Cotton Bowl saying to the AD "we got to get this thing back on campus" and spoke at length about how important being on campus was.
Oh, well, if SMU says so, Pitt is so screwed.

Reactions: FireballZ
from 2018 so may be a few outdated teams on here:

Number of miles from campus

ConnecticutStorrs, CTPratt & Whitney Stadium19
Miami (FL)Coral Gables, FLHard Rock Stadium17
UCLALos Angeles, CARose Bowl17
UTSASan Antonio, TXAlamodome15
HawaiiHonolulu, HIAloha Stadium9
South FloridaTampa, FLRaymond James Stadium8
UNLVParadise, NVSam Boyd Stadium7
South AlabamaMobile, ALLadd-Peebles Stadium6
TemplePhiladelphia, PALincoln Financial Field5
WashingtonSeattle, WAHusky Stadium4
North Carolina StateRaleigh, NCCarter-Finley Stadium3
PittsburghPittsburgh, PAHeinz Field3
San Diego StateSan Diego, CASDCCU Stadium3
UABBirmingham, ALLegion Field2
BaylorWaco, TXMcLane Stadium2
Kent StateKent, OHDix Stadium2
MemphisMemphis, TNLiberty Bowl Memorial Stadium2
South CarolinaColumbia, SCWillams-Brice Stadium2
Georgia StateAtlanta, GAGeorgia State Stadium1.5
NavyAnnapolis, MDNavy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium1
NorthwesternEvanston, ILRyan Field1
OregonEugene, ORAutzen Stadium1
San Jose StateSan Jose, CACEFCU1

I don't think Wake's stadium is considered to be on campus.

Question for those who went to Pitt Stadium while students.

Was the student atmosphere significantly better at Pitt Stadium than Acrisure/Heinz?

I was there. Its not on campus. Maybe a mile or 2 away. Have to go through a small neighborhood like WVU's. Similar to WVU's off-campus stadium. And NC State's

Yeah, I briefly drove through their campus before the 2018 game, and it appeared to be about the same size as Duquesne's (exaggerating, but not by much). But I didn't think the stadium was considered to be part of it.

Was the student atmosphere significantly better at Pitt Stadium than Acrisure/Heinz?
There certainly was a buzz around campus on gameday but it was usually tempered in the stadium (1990-1995) timeframe which was a lowpoint in our history. I have to imagine for those on campus in the mid 70's to early 80's it had to be great all around.

It was usually meh. But, since the move to HF, Pitt has tried MUCH harder to get students to games, tried harder with the program overall. If they had done that in the 80s and early 90s, then Pitt would still be playing on campus.

Reactions: Eastern Eight
It was usually meh. But, since the move to HF, Pitt has tried MUCH harder to get students to games, tried harder with the program overall. If they had done that in the 80s and early 90s, then Pitt would still be playing on campus.
It was very "meh". The students could have cared less. Almost never close to capacity.

I'm not sure if a change of approach would have changed the course of history where the stadium is concerned. We might not have had so many miserable years but a lot of things came together at the same time that made moving to Heinz a better option than trying to keep the shine on that turd. More likely Pitt would have put itself into a bad place over it.

It's crazy how building the Pete only became a bad decision well after a decade of being one of the most successful basketball programs in the country.

Not saying we couldn't use a right-sized stadium (although I'd at least experiment with tarps at The Stadium Formerly Known as Heinz for now), but I sure as hell don't want it in Oakland. I'd have to leave an hour earlier and plan on getting home two hours later every game.

It's crazy how building the Pete only became a bad decision well after a decade of being one of the most successful basketball programs in the country.

Not saying we couldn't use a right-sized stadium (although I'd at least experiment with tarps at The Stadium Formerly Known as Heinz for now), but I sure as hell don't want it in Oakland. I'd have to leave an hour earlier and plan on getting home two hours later every game.
Honestly, it was never that bad going into a game. There just weren't many good seasons for all but maybe seven years worth of football after Jock Sutherland left.

I’m surprised they’re going through with it. From what I’ve read/watched on this, the state of Florida is warning the university about moving forward due to rising interest rates. If they don’t hit their fundraising goals, they’ll either have to cut sports or dip into their endowment in the future (currently less than $900M).

They’re essentially banking on A) millions more coming in via fundraising or B) interest rates going down and then refinancing in the future. Seems like a gamble.

Honestly, it was never that bad going into a game. There just weren't many good seasons for all but maybe seven years worth of football after Jock Sutherland left.

My memories of it as a kid were it being difficult to park and sucky to walk to the stadium and then it taking forever to get out. But I'm sure the beatings we took at the games I went to (Penn State and Notre Dame in the early 90's... you can imagine) played into the overall experience.

Reactions: pittmeister
It was very "meh". The students could have cared less. Almost never close to capacity.

I'm not sure if a change of approach would have changed the course of history where the stadium is concerned. We might not have had so many miserable years but a lot of things came together at the same time that made moving to Heinz a better option than trying to keep the shine on that turd. More likely Pitt would have put itself into a bad place over it.

I think the number of students living on campus is much higher now, too. So combine that with a better effort and better teams, and I think the student attendance would be decent in an on campus stadium today.

Reactions: bwh05 and pittdan77
My memories of it as a kid were it being difficult to park and sucky to walk to the stadium and then it taking forever to get out.

Lots of college football stadiums, including those with 80,000 plus fans every game, have issues with traffic and getting in and out, so I don't think that's a big deal.

Correct, a stadium on campus would probably have more traffic. Just let most other college football stadiums on game day.

And I don't think many people say the Pete was a bad decision. Perhaps the chosen location wasn't ideal (it was originally going to be built in a different spot) but it's fine having a new basketball arena.

Lots of college football stadiums, including those with 80,000 plus fans every game, have issues with traffic and getting in and out, so I don't think that's a big deal.

I feel like it would just be one more thing Pittsburgh fans have to compare (i.e. "We ain't gotta deal with this crap for Stiller games"), and it would serve as yet another excuse. Especially when coupled with the lesser amenities/bleacher seating.

I feel like it would just be one more thing Pittsburgh fans have to compare (i.e. "We ain't gotta deal with this crap for Stiller games"), and it would serve as yet another excuse. Especially when coupled with the lesser amenities/bleacher seating.

It would be, but I don't think it hurts the attendance because there would also be good things about a stadium just for Pitt.

It would be, but I don't think it hurts the attendance because there would also be good things about a stadium just for Pitt.

Yeah, you would have to imagine it would get that initial "novelty bump" that any new stadium is going to get. That's the only reason people think we can fill up Heinz - because a lot more people when to Pitt games in like 2003. But they don't consider they were just people who wanted to see the stadium and either couldn't get Steeler tickets or weren't Steeler fans.

Just not sure how long that bump would last, particularly if we had a few down years. I'm all for a new Pitt stadium; I just prefer a location other than Oakland. But I get it - taking a bus back and forth has to suck for the students.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Yeah, you would have to imagine it would get that initial "novelty bump" that any new stadium is going to get. That's the only reason people think we can fill up Heinz - because a lot more people when to Pitt games in like 2003. But they don't consider they were just people who wanted to see the stadium and either couldn't get Steeler tickets or weren't Steeler fans.

Just not sure how long that bump would last, particularly if we had a few down years. I'm all for a new Pitt stadium; I just prefer a location other than Oakland. But I get it - taking a bus back and forth has to suck for the students.

For sure there with be a boost. But I'm thinking long-term. Building a larger fan base takes decades of students having a good experience. I think that last 20 years at HF has kind of been wasted in that regard. Standing in long lines to ride a school bus isn't the best atmosphere building tool.

Reactions: cbpitt2
For sure there with be a boost. But I'm thinking long-term. Building a larger fan base takes decades of students having a good experience. I think that last 20 years at HF has kind of been wasted in that regard. Standing in long lines to ride a school bus isn't the best atmosphere building tool.

Fair. But we're also in a different situation from many of these middle-of-nowhere programs, in that we actually have a major city at our disposal (I know that can also be a disadvantage). So, with a smaller student population, appealing to the non-alum isn't a terrible thing, either. Ideally, you'd want to appease both, of course.

Fair. But we're also in a different situation from many of these middle-of-nowhere programs, in that we actually have a major city at our disposal. So, with a smaller student population, appealing to the non-alum isn't a terrible thing, either. Ideally, you'd want to appease both, of course.

That's why we need a right sized stadium. OSU, located ion a big city, has about twice the undergrad student population. So instead of 102,000 seats, Pitt needs about 51,000. Perfect!

My memories of it as a kid were it being difficult to park and sucky to walk to the stadium and then it taking forever to get out. But I'm sure the beatings we took at the games I went to (Penn State and Notre Dame in the early 90's... you can imagine) played into the overall experience.
Oh yeah. Both of those things are true but it wasn't like there was this crush of humanity descending on Oakland. Was just always a bad spot. Bates Street was an absolute mess with everyone trying to get out of there to the south and of course the famous walk up the hill. I loved going to games there because I had the run of the place. My ass still burns from sitting on those metal bleachers on a sunny day.

No, it was not better.
In fact, it was worse or somewhat the same.
Back then, the students b*tched about having to walk up Cardiac Hill to go to the games.
It never ends.

The student section has improved the past 10 years and has skyrocketed over the past three seasons. This year's opener against Wofford was the most students I've ever seen at a Pitt game. Now they need to get the overflow out of the upper deck and to fill in the lower corner and sideline seats on the visitors sideline. There were a solid 5-6 full 500-level sections full of students. Imagine the difference for the atmosphere getting them on the 100 level.

So are you going to miss Saturday Night Mass or have an early bedtime on Saturdays???

I am a geezer now as are my buddies, and we actually have kids who are Pitt students. Admittedly a small example, but the consensus is that the only problem is with the lines to get back on the buses to go back. It is distributed enough before games to not be an issue. In fact more than one of them said it’s better riding to Acrisure (but not back!) Vs climbing up to the Pete (especially since basketball games are typically in colder months).

So I know the AD claims to have tried before, but if it could take another (perhaps more serious than a free soda and bag of chips) attempt at making the return trips more flexible, comfortable and efficient, it would go a good way to improve the experience (and thus the nostalgia/good will when these students become alumni).

Isn't Oakland the third most populated place in Pennsylvania during the work week? Are all those people going to Oakland taking the bus????

What about when Forbes Field was sold out for Pirate games? World Series games during the day during the week?

All those people coming to Oakland everyday and it couldn't accommodate Pitt fans on six or seven Saturdays? Quit being soft and make a day of it.

Where's that picture of all those cars parked in Oakland for a Pitt or Pirate game?

I am a geezer now as are my buddies, and we actually have kids who are Pitt students. Admittedly a small example, but the consensus is that the only problem is with the lines to get back on the buses to go back. It is distributed enough before games to not be an issue. In fact more than one of them said it’s better riding to Acrisure (but not back!) Vs climbing up to the Pete (especially since basketball games are typically in colder months).

So I know the AD claims to have tried before, but if it could take another (perhaps more serious than a free soda and bag of chips) attempt at making the return trips more flexible, comfortable and efficient, it would go a good way to improve the experience (and thus the nostalgia/good will when these students become alumni).

There's no good way to do it outside of having more busses. That issue also contributes to students leaving early. Your reward for staying the whole game.... is waiting in a longer line. They can try to come up with bandaids, a point system, yadda yadda, but at the end of the day it's not going to solve that problem.

With a plan like that what could possibly go wrong!
What I find fascinating is that since I posted that, they received a $25M donation from the Tampa General Hospital. The gift will name their athletic village and they’ll operate clinical space in the complex.

I know relationships like this exist between universities and their off-shoot medical centers (Pitt, UPMC), but how often do you see a non-profit organization donate to something like this? Genuinely can’t recall. Pretty interesting.

There's no good way to do it outside of having more busses. That issue also contributes to students leaving early. Your reward for staying the whole game.... is waiting in a longer line. They can try to come up with bandaids, a point system, yadda yadda, but at the end of the day it's not going to solve that problem.

Last week was like nothing I had seen before, starting at halftime. I expect to get there this week and still see students lined up to leave from last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT