ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's OC Thread

WillyDavis33

Freshman
Jun 4, 2023
I was never in agreement that Cigs was the right choice and that decision is having a rippling affect on the team's ability to put points up and recruiting and I believe, retention! I have read that Shanny would be a great choice because he runs a more college type offense and he is the recruiting coordinator at JMU.

Here are the highlights against VA and his offense does not look much different than ours but the QB is WAAAAAAY more athletic and can run well. I really like the commitment of Dugger but it will take him 2-3 years to be ready to play imho. I believe we need to replace Cigs with a college ( RPO) offense and then we hit the portal hard for a starting QB who can run and throw. This may be a 1 year solution or if we get lucky find a player who has 2 years of eligibility left.

My reasoning for making the change in offense is that we do not recruit at a high enough level to bring in really good OL to run a pro style offense so lets look at the reality of the situation and do that.

Below are JMU's highlights against VA

What say you

James Madison vs. Virginia Game Highlights | 2023 ACC Football

Reactions: pierre93
The only things I can see getting in the way of this master plan to push Cignetti out are:

1. Narduzzi loves him and would refuse to get rid of him

2. Even if he wanted to, Pitt might not pay the early buyout (assuming the guy got a five year deal)

3. Duz with his “boo city” remarks admitted his and Pitt’s true feelings about the fans, aka the paying customers. We are the only ones thinking of this season as a failure, because in Pitt and Duz minds, winning in 2021 gave them license to coast and suck for about a decade. The school doesn’t give a sh1t. Period.

Cig himself may be disgusted enough to go on his own. But what gives anyone hope Duz would go after someone dynamic to replace him? He was thrilled to see Canada go and he despised Whipples offense, despite (because?) Pitt won with their offenses. Hell he might bring Shawn Watson back when the guy gets fired from Wofford.

Last edited:
The only things I can see getting in the way of this master plan to push Cignetti out are:

1. Narduzzi loves him and would refuse to get rid of him

2. Even if he wanted to, Pitt might not pay the early buyout (assuming the guy got a five year deal)

3. Duz with his “boo city” remarks admitted his and Pitt’s true feelings about the fans, aka the paying customers. We are the only ones thinking of this season as a failure, because in Pitt and Duz minds, winning in 2021 gave them license to coast and suck for about a decade. The school doesn’t give a sh1t. Period.

Cig himself may be disgusted enough to go on his own. But what gives anyone hope Duz would go after someone dynamic to replace him? He was thrilled to see Canada go and he despised Whipples offense, despite (because?) Pitt won with their offenses. Hell he might bring Shawn Watson back when the guy gets fired from Wofford.
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing with that 1, 2, and 3 commentary and just left it at 1. Narduzzi

Guys...it is a down year for our offense. The offensive line is decimated, we have a retread for a QB, the WRs are young. Not sure it matters who the OC is at this point.

Guys...it is a down year for our offense. The offensive line is decimated, we have a retread for a QB, the WRs are young. Not sure it matters who the OC is at this point.
Who is responsible for bringing his retread qb here? Sorry, no excuses.

Reactions: bschulter
Who would you have brought in? We needed a QB?
IDK 🤷‍♂️ but a coordinator that is more innovative that has ties to qb(s). I'd prefer to have an exciting offense with a decent defense. College football is about scoring points and the NFL is going the same route.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing with that 1, 2, and 3 commentary and just left it at 1. Narduzzi
The commentary afterwards are absolute facts, and are needed for the context.

Narduzzi might himself be delusional that things are fine (I’ll give him the benefit of doubt to know things suck right now, but based on remarks he’s shrugging it off as “I earned a few bad years”).

This is when this supposedly strong and brilliant AD and even the school president (no less than a Big Ten football maven, right?) would need to actively intervene in the offseason.

This isn’t a one time regroup. We are getting NO playmakers. These are not just 3 star guys, they are 3 star guys that probably should be 2 or 1.5. They aren’t as fast or shifty or (in the case of the QBs) dynamic or tough or crafty. They are the types that deliver you what we have now, a 3 to 4 win season…except it will be every season if it continues.

We aren’t tanking to get a high draft pick here. Failure begets more failure

How about recruiting a good HS QB…develop him? Stop bringing in transfer portal QBs..what good HS QB wants to go to a place that recruits QBs from the transfer portal every year?
I'm all for that but there is a line between "developing" a HS QB and throwing him to the wolves. I don't like bringing players in from the portal at the QB position but Jurkovich was the known devil for Cig and he felt comfortable doing it wit his system.

I like Mike Shanahan. But also like a few others.

Tim Cramsey from Memphis is someone I thought Pitt should've looked at when we hired Cignetti. At this point, he might be holding out for a non P5 HC job or a bigger P5 OC job.

Andrew Sowder (ex-Kent State OC, now Minnesota TE coach) would also be someone I'd look at.

Ben Arbuckle from Washington State also is pretty impressive. Maybe he could be swayed to leave there given their relegation to non-P5 status.

Just a few names off the top of my head.

Also, Willy Corn comes to mind, but he could be a little green at this point. Seems to be a bright young mind though.

I'm sure there are a ton of good prospects out there. Many better than the names I'm listing. But the bottom line is that we need to find someone innovative who understands the college game. Complicated NFL style system is no badge of honor nor does it attract competent QB's. Do you think Drew Allar cares that his system at PSU is considered to be a simple college offense? I don't...

Former Cal U player Mike Yurcich was a good hire for the nits. He had alot of good offenses at Oklahoma St. A guy that understands the college game as well recruit

Has anyone ever thought about the type of player that commits to PITT and why we may need a more complex offensive system to meet with success. It's not like we have underperformed the past 8 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT