ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Mock Draft 2022: Mel Kiper reveals 32 first-round predictions

If we don't get Kenny we might be better drafting a QB next year.

They're going to be in extremely high demand next year. Lions, Giants, Texans, Falcons for sure will be looking, potentially Cleveland and Indianapolis, plus whoever of WFT, Denver, Carolina, Saints, and Steelers and maybe the Dolphins and Eagles if their young QBs fail.

It's very easy to say "we should just get one next year" because next year's class is better but half the league is going to want one and they'll be willing to trade in front of us to get him. I think if Pickett or Howell are there at 20 you take him.

Mel has Kenny at 18 to the Saints. I hope he’s right.

Pickett is the only one of these QBs that should be drafted in the first round IMO. Whoever drafts Malik Willis, all I can say is good luck with that. One would think that NFL personnel guys would have learned from decades of past failures that these "raw" QB talents that basically have to be taught how to play the position from scratch almost never work out. But somehow they keep getting picked based on physical talent and arm strength alone.

I don;t see it with Howell or Corral either. Wouldn't touch either of them until maybe Round 3.

Reactions: PITT92DOG
Pickett is the only one of these QBs that should be drafted in the first round IMO. Whoever drafts Malik Willis, all I can say is good luck with that. One would think that NFL personnel guys would have learned from decades of past failures that these "raw" QB talents that basically have to be taught how to play the position from scratch almost never work out. But somehow they keep getting picked based on physical talent and arm strength alone.

I don;t see it with Howell or Corral either. Wouldn't touch either of them until maybe Round 3.

I wouldn't take Howell if we got to have him without using a draft pick. I'd rather just go get someone else's trash, like Daniel Jones or Carson Wentz or something, and see how that works out for a year than be committed to Baker Mayfield Lite for five.

They're going to be in extremely high demand next year. Lions, Giants, Texans, Falcons for sure will be looking, potentially Cleveland and Indianapolis, plus whoever of WFT, Denver, Carolina, Saints, and Steelers and maybe the Dolphins and Eagles if their young QBs fail.

It's very easy to say "we should just get one next year" because next year's class is better but half the league is going to want one and they'll be willing to trade in front of us to get him. I think if Pickett or Howell are there at 20 you take him.
Steelers will likely have a top ten pick next year, too.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Steelers will likely have a top ten pick next year, too.

That's often not high enough in a good class. #6 wasn't enough in 2020.

Young, Stroud, and Williams are going to go really early, especially after the relative failures of 2021 and the down class of 2022. I don't think there's any guarantee we get one of those 3 at #10 and we may not get one at #5. That's why I don't think we should just jump to the certainty that if we don't love a QB this year, we can just get one next year.

Reactions: pittdan77

https://fansided.com/2018/02/21/josh-allen-rumors-scouting-report-nfl-draft-history/

Yeah, guys with raw talent almost never work out.

Reactions: Ski11585
That's often not high enough in a good class. #6 wasn't enough in 2020.

Young, Stroud, and Williams are going to go really early, especially after the relative failures of 2021 and the down class of 2022. I don't think there's any guarantee we get one of those 3 at #10 and we may not get one at #5. That's why I don't think we should just jump to the certainty that if we don't love a QB this year, we can just get one next year.
I understand what you’re saying but you’re probably not getting a top QB in a guy like Howell, either. He’s certainly not a first round pick.

Sort of why it might make sense to trade back if there isn’t an ideal pick at 20. Get an extra couple of picks. Then again, maybe you just trade up this year. The problem with the Steelers is that there won’t be a quick fix unless they draft extremely well in the later rounds for a couple of years and sign the right FA’s.

I understand what you’re saying but you’re probably not getting a top QB in a guy like Howell, either. He’s certainly not a first round pick.

Sort of why it might make sense to trade back if there isn’t an ideal pick at 20. Get an extra couple of picks. Then again, maybe you just trade up this year. The problem with the Steelers is that there won’t be a quick fix unless they draft extremely well in the later rounds for a couple of years and sign the right FA’s.

Maybe. I don't think we're qualified to say Howell doesn't carry a 1st round grade. I think most QB scouts would say that he does.

Agree with you that they can go in a lot of different directions. The best option as you said is to nail your player eval and not necessarily be wedding to a particular position. Because they do need to hit on a lot more than 1 guy to turn this around. I was more pointing out the game theory concept that we shouldn't assume QBs will be available to us next year since there will be a lot more demand and there's no guarantee any of those guys come out either.

I've heard this is a good draft for o-linemen. I want the center from Iowa, but it looks like he'll be gone. I'll be sick if he ends up in Baltimore, because he has 14-year stalwart with HOF potential written all over him.

I think there's an outside chance we might be okay on the d-line, if Tuitt returns. Heyward-Adams-Tuitt with backups of Wormely, Davis, Buggs, and Loudermilk might not be all that bad. If we could spend our first two draft picks on o-linemen, I will be absolutely thrilled. OL-CB-OL in the first three rounds wouldn't be bad, either.

We'd still have plenty of other holes, of course, but I'm not really expecting to be all that competitive until 2023 at the earliest.

Reactions: pittdan77
The Liedowns aren;t smart enough to draft KP. They'll end up with another injury prone edge rusher that never lives up to his draft position.
The Lions staff is coaching at the Senior Bowl, I can easily see Lions head coach Dan Campbell falling in love with Pickett and pushing to draft him. They have the 2nd pick and could move down a few spots to get Pickett along with more picks, but the Lions organization isn't smart enough to do that.

Kenny drops to 18? Wow, if that happens imagine Steeler fans reacting to that considering 18 is where the Steelers should have been picking if they had missed the playoffs on that final Sunday.

but hey, another Steeler playoff appearance was awesome and so worth it.

Kenny drops to 18? Wow, if that happens imagine Steeler fans reacting to that considering 18 is where the Steelers should have been picking if they had missed the playoffs on that final Sunday.

fk, come on man, you play to win the game. you cant lose a game on purpose, the HC and team would be ridiculed mercilessly and deservedly so.

I mean, in hindsight sure but no coach or player would ever "Try" to lose a game to move up a spot or two in the following draft. that's beyond stupid..

outside of something like the pens did to get Mario back in the early 80s, to guarantee #1 if there is a phenom waiting for you, then possibly it's OK but you still try and cover it up

fk, come on man, you play to win the game. you cant lose a game on purpose, the HC and team would be ridiculed mercilessly and deservedly so.

I mean, in hindsight sure but no coach or player would ever "Try" to lose a game to move up a spot or two in the following draft. that's beyond stupid..

outside of something like the pens did to get Mario back in the early 80s, to guarantee #1 if there is a phenom waiting for you, then possibly it's OK but you still try and cover it up
Hey you play to win championships and you can’t win them if you don’t make the playoffs. I’m just glad the Colts laid an egg against the Jags, glad the Raiders played to win instead of tie, and glad the Chargers inexplicably called that timeout. If not for all those things, we wouldn’t have had that marvelous playoff run. We were just a play or two away from beating the Chiefs. So unlucky.

Hey you play to win championships and you can’t win them if you don’t make the playoffs. I’m just glad the Colts laid an egg against the Jags, glad the Raiders played to win instead of tie, and glad the Chargers inexplicably called that timeout. If not for all those things, we wouldn’t have had that marvelous playoff run. We were just a play or two away from beating the Chiefs. So unlucky.
What in the world does this have to do with my post. the patriots were destroyed, they were 9-7, they should have lost their last 4 games cause they have no shot, eagles were 9-8, killed in first rd, they should have lost every game too, cardinals destroyed, why didnt they lose all their games..

Everyone but 4 teams should lose all their games cause they have no shot. But if everyone tries to lose, doesnt someone have to win? nfl would be great if 26-27 teams all blow all their games in second half of the season, what a wonderful product that would be..

I wouldn't take Howell if we got to have him without using a draft pick. I'd rather just go get someone else's trash, like Daniel Jones or Carson Wentz or something, and see how that works out for a year than be committed to Baker Mayfield Lite for five.

I wouldn't touch Wentz. He'll just add drama to a team that likely won't be all that great.

I wouldn't touch Wentz. He'll just add drama to a team that likely won't be all that great.

I honestly don't know a ton about him, so you very well may be right. I definitely wouldn't expect any reclamation project to be the long-term solution, but I'm figuring it might be worth the gamble. Maybe we find our Tannehill or something. More than likely, though, it would just be some bridge guy to get us through a season or two. I just know I can't handle a full season of Mason Rudolph.

What in the world does this have to do with my post. the patriots were destroyed, they were 9-7, they should have lost their last 4 games cause they have no shot, eagles were 9-8, killed in first rd, they should have lost every game too, cardinals destroyed, why didnt they lose all their games..

Everyone but 4 teams should lose all their games cause they have no shot. But if everyone tries to lose, doesnt someone have to win? nfl would be great if 26-27 teams all blow all their games in second half of the season, what a wonderful product that would be..
I don’t know what any of this has to do with my post about the Steelers being a hair away from the 18th pick , if not for an extreme amount of luck on the final Sunday, and the fact that some people might be really upset if a potential franchise QB goes in that spot that really should have been the Steelers.

I don’t know what any of this has to do with my post about the Steelers being a hair away from the 18th pick , if not for an extreme amount of luck on the final Sunday, and the fact that some people might be really upset if a potential franchise QB goes in that spot that really should have been the Steelers.
you wanted the steelers to lose to potentially get a draft pick for a potential franchise qb who could potentially still be around when the steelers got this potential draft pick.

i dont know what's happening anymore. lets just forget this ever happened.

Maybe. I don't think we're qualified to say Howell doesn't carry a 1st round grade. I think most QB scouts would say that he does.

Agree with you that they can go in a lot of different directions. The best option as you said is to nail your player eval and not necessarily be wedding to a particular position. Because they do need to hit on a lot more than 1 guy to turn this around. I was more pointing out the game theory concept that we shouldn't assume QBs will be available to us next year since there will be a lot more demand and there's no guarantee any of those guys come out either.
The linked article has Howell as a second day guy.

I've heard this is a good draft for o-linemen. I want the center from Iowa, but it looks like he'll be gone. I'll be sick if he ends up in Baltimore, because he has 14-year stalwart with HOF potential written all over him.

I think there's an outside chance we might be okay on the d-line, if Tuitt returns. Heyward-Adams-Tuitt with backups of Wormely, Davis, Buggs, and Loudermilk might not be all that bad. If we could spend our first two draft picks on o-linemen, I will be absolutely thrilled. OL-CB-OL in the first three rounds wouldn't be bad, either.

We'd still have plenty of other holes, of course, but I'm not really expecting to be all that competitive until 2023 at the earliest.
Has a high top side for OL but i don’t think it’s anywhere near last year in terms of depth. I also like the Center from Iowa but the Ravens will probably grab him.

you wanted the steelers to lose to potentially get a draft pick for a potential franchise qb who could potentially still be around when the steelers got this potential draft pick.
Wait, I did? Hmmmm, I’m wondering where I said that.

If Rudolph is the starter you could see a historically bad season.

If Rudolph is the starter you could see a historically bad season.
Best way to describe Rudolph. You can win with him. You won’t win because of him.

And the way this team is built, there will be no extra wins next year with him at QB.

As a 50 year Steelers fan, I only think about TODAY, when I'm watching a game. I can't root for a loss for a FUTURE draft pick to be higher, all I care about is being entertained THIS MOMENT by a win. It's not life or death, it's just a TV Show

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Best way to describe Rudolph. You can win with him. You won’t win because of him.

And the way this team is built, there will be no extra wins next year with him at QB.
Exactly, didn't Ben lead 4-5 come from behind drives this year? Subtract 4-5 from the 9 win total at least.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
just to get this straight, the Steelers should have tanked to move up a few spots in the draft on the off chance they will get the exact pick at that position that they ultimately would not have gotten anyways? In other words finish this sentence...Steelers should have lost their last game so they would have gotten __________ in the first round

Exactly, didn't Ben lead 4-5 come from behind drives this year? Subtract 4-5 from the 9 win total at least.
Eh. I think it might be a bit closer than that. This offense, the philosophy and playbook was built for an aging QB that couldn’t do much of anything. It get the ball out quickly. Like it or not, Rudolph would have allowed for a wider array of plays. I think things would have been opened up a bit that might have taken the pressure of the run game, etc. Just my opinion, but I think with Rudolph, the Steelers still win 7 games. Any more than that is anyones guess.

what I don’t like is when people say he’s not an NFL QB. He’s certainly an NFL QB. He just hasn’t shown to be one that can win you games.

just to get this straight, the Steelers should have tanked to move up a few spots in the draft on the off chance they will get the exact pick at that position that they ultimately would not have gotten anyways? In other words finish this sentence...Steelers should have lost their last game so they would have gotten __________ in the first round
Nope I never said that. A higher draft pick guarantees nothing. Look at the teams that consistently draft high. But….if Pickett goes 18th, it will be funny listening to yinzers upset with themselves because they stayed up til midnight to root for a tie in the Sunday night game.

Ideally, the Steelers can figure out a way to move up to get Linderbaum. That would be a good start; this a REBUILD folks ; not a reload.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT