ADVERTISEMENT

Nicholas Patti: All he does is start bowl games

Total legend. And if Jurkovec opts out next year, he'll make his 3rd bowl game start, which may be a Pitt record. The guy at the Peach Bowl who had a Nick Patti game jersey is getting his money's worth.
As of now, Nick is not coming back.

Who is our bowl backup if Yarnell leaves? What happens if Patti decides to transfer as well?

Is this the first year where starters hitting the portal in droves before the bowls is a thing? I don’t like it. I’ve come to accept all of this movement but there should be some restrictions around it so that we can at least have the season conclude.

Who is our bowl backup if Yarnell leaves? What happens if Patti decides to transfer as well?

Is this the first year where starters hitting the portal in droves before the bowls is a thing? I don’t like it. I’ve come to accept all of this movement but there should be some restrictions around it so that we can at least have the season conclude.

Didn't Lynn Bowden have to play a wildcat QB role for Kentucky against VT a few years ago? It's probably to a point where it's downright unsafe to play if enough guys from a certain position group opt out. This "player empowerment" era is about the most annoying thing I can think of.

I think Pat Bostick has some eligibility left.

Maybe we can send someone down to whatever Florida strip joint Greg Cross is flashing his "package" in, and NIL his but over to El Paso for a one time engagement?

There are restrictions. You can't officially enter the transfer portal until today.

Is it some impossible ask to not open the portal until Jan 2? They need to do something about these bowl games. Nobody wants to play in them.

We will likely see a good bit of Wildcat during this game regardless of the official QB. Hammy, VD, and Firmy are going to need to keep their legs in good shape during December.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Is it some impossible ask to not open the portal until Jan 2? They need to do something about these bowl games. Nobody wants to play in them.

Yeah. If you don’t want to play the bowl for whatever reason then opt out. But I don’t think kids should be able to pick a new school until after bowls are over. Creates a domino affect like we are seeing.

Reactions: PantherDDS

I imagine coaches like to have a general feel for who is transferring before the early signing period for recruiting. Not that guys don't enter the portal in the Spring anyway. The whole thing is a mess.

IDK the solution because they'd just sit out the trip even if they couldn't transfer. There isn't a logical reason to play a (non playoff especially) bowl game for a lot of players, you're basically relying on an emotional tie. Maybe it was inevitable the "post season exhibition" thing was going to have major problems.

IDK the solution because they'd just sit out the trip even if they couldn't transfer. There isn't a logical reason to play a (non playoff especially) bowl game for a lot of players, you're basically relying on an emotional tie. Maybe it was inevitable the "post season exhibition" thing was going to have major problems.
Except for about 15 teams, every game is a meaningless exhibition.

Coaches are on the move right after the season ends. Some looking for other opportunities, while some staffs are flushed out. It would be really hypocritical to ask players to put their futures on hold while everyone else is taking care of theirs.

I imagine coaches like to have a general feel for who is transferring before the early signing period for recruiting. Not that guys don't enter the portal in the Spring anyway. The whole thing is a mess.

Yea of course but so what. You want to/need to have bowl games? Portal opens Jan 2. Play in your bowl game or opt out but no recruiting for you!

Yea of course but so what. You want to/need to have bowl games? Portal opens Jan 2. Play in your bowl game or opt out but no recruiting for you!

I'm saying that the guys who are entering the portal now kind of let the coaches know how many recruits they are able to sign in two weeks.

What is the logical reason for a lot of players with aspirations to play in the NFL to continue to play after they are eliminated from their conference title game?

These kids were not given scholarships to sit out games when healthy....I'd be in favor of proportional cash compensation back to the university if they chose to do so.

Last edited:
What is the logical reason for a lot of players with aspirations to play in the NFL to continue to play after they are eliminated from their conference title game?
For the better players, improve their draft stock. But I understand your point, and at some point we may see more elite players opt out end portions of seasons.

I'm saying that the guys who are entering the portal now kind of let the coaches know how many recruits they are able to sign in two weeks.
Well then also eliminate the early signing period. Don't let athletes enroll early in college (or at least make them pay their own way and not get a scholarship for the spring semester), and let them be normal high school students for the end of their senior years.

Honestly, I'm surprised the NCAA still even has binding letters of intent. They will probably be gone soon, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT