ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** The hour is late, but the Panthers are more than worthy of some after midnight words.

** I doubt this slightly abbreviated version will do everyone justice, so apologies in advance.

** But we must start with 104.

** Not only does Blake now have the season three point record along with his others, he’s now blown it away with plenty of basketball yet to be played.

** Beyond his long bombs though, we’ve had the pleasure of watching the finest Panther single season since a couple of guys named Sam and Fella rocked the court.

** It’s been that good. A better season than Ashton’s, Brad’s, Lamar’s Justin’s or Jamarius.’ And those seasons were pretty darn good.

** But what we will miss most after this season is over is Blake’s character. That is, he is a character who has character. And his character was on full display this late night early on from his egging on the crowd following Bub’s tussle, to his delightful little dance to highlight a Seminole travel call.

** And when that first Blake bomb goes down like it did tonight is when Blake’s character shows the most. He’s been a leader with his play, his personality and his poise.

** All of the Panthers came to play this night with their fullest spirit and energy, but Jaland was the certainly the guy who made us go. All of his double digit assists were worthy, and he’s playing the point at a level that we perhaps have not seen since the aforementioned Sam and Fella rocked the court.

** And that floater of his might be the finest we’ve seen from a Panther since a guy named Jaron.

** For the record, Jaland is now averaging 12.2 PPG in ACC play, and has scored in double figures in 13 of his last 14 contests.

** But this was a team win in all ways shapes and forms and all of our Panthers were on the same page offensively.

** Just a week ago, somehow the guys managed just 4 assists. But they’ve followed that up by dishing 20 two games in a row.

** This night, we got points inside and out perhaps more than any game we’ve seen this year. We created offense instead of just creating shots. There’s still plenty of one on one play, but a chunk of that is now by design with matchups we know we can win.

** This wasn’t a stellar defensive contest from our Panthers. But it was a feisty and physical contest from which the Panthers never backed down.

** But let’s move onto the work that has been done from our once maligned Coach Capel.

** Even I suggested early in January that his work last year may have been just a fluke. We all know now that any such suggestion was dead wrong.

** What was frustrating about Capel's teams in his first four years was how those teams faltered down the stretch. What we have seen from Capel’s teams in his last two years are groups who have improved over the course of the year. His 10-3 record of late, after the 1-5 ACC start is nothing short of remarkable.

** Last year, Jeff Capel was named ACC Coach of the Year, an honor he certainly deserved. He won’t receive this recognition this year. But I have no problem suggesting the work he’s done this year has topped what he accomplished last year.

** So we go into the final games before the NCAA Tournament with our post season fate still hanging in the balance. Personally, I still believe we need to pick up a win Saturday and two in Washington DC for our name to be called on Selection Sunday.

** But if we play in the ACC tournament the way we’ve played the last two games, winning at least two in that tournament may not be such a tall task.

** Still, even if we end up on the wrong side of the bubble, I feel more than comfortable suggesting that the team we’ve watched over the last two games, and really over the last 13 games, is one of the best 40 teams in the country. Maybe a fair bit better than that.

** So let’s all join at the Pete on Saturday to end this fine Panther regular season, and even finer Blake Hinson season with our greatest level of appreciation. They all deserve every bit of it.

Loved the intensity on both ends of the court. Love how involved all 5 players were in the offense in the first half

Fun game. Hard to believe this is the same team that imploded against Florida and Missouri
I think they would beat both teams now because Jaland wasn't starting in those earlier games. Changed the whole season around. Fede is playing much better now too, maybe he was not in game shape yet at that time perhaps.

** The hour is late, but the Panthers are more than worthy of some after midnight words.

** I doubt this slightly abbreviated version will do everyone justice, so apologies in advance.

** Not only does Blake now have the season three point record along with his others, he’s now blown it away with plenty of basketball yet to be played.

** Beyond his long bombs though, we’ve had the pleasure of watching the finest Panther single season since a couple of guys named Sam and Fella rocked the court.

** It’s been that good. A better season than Ashton’s, Brad’s, Lamar’s Justin’s or Jamarius.’ And those seasons were pretty darn good.

** But what we will miss most after this season is over is Blake’s character. That is, he is a character who has character. And his character was on full display this late night early on from his egging on the crowd following Bub’s tussle, to his delightful little dance to highlight a Seminole travel call.

** And when that first Blake bomb goes down like it did tonight is when Blake’s character shows the most. He’s been a leader with his play, his personality and his poise.

** All of the Panthers came to play this night with their fullest spirit and energy, but Jaland was the certainly the guy who made us go. All of his double digit assists were worthy, and he’s playing the point at a level that we perhaps have not seen since the aforementioned Sam and Fella rocked the court.

** And that floater of his might be the finest we’ve seen from a Panther since a guy named Jaron.

** For the record, Jaland is now averaging 12.2 PPG in ACC play, and has scored in double figures in 13 of his last 14 contests.

** But this was a team win in all ways shapes and forms and all of our Panthers were on the same page offensively.

** Just a week ago, somehow the guys managed just 4 assists. But they’ve followed that up by dishing 20 two games in a row.

** This night, we got points inside and out perhaps more than any game we’ve seen this year. We created offense instead of just creating shots. There’s still plenty of one on one play, but a chunk of that is now by design with matchups we know we can win.

** This wasn’t a stellar defensive from our Panthers. But it was a feisty and physical contest from which the Panthers never backed down.

** But let’s move onto the work that has been done from our once maligned Coach Capel.

** Even I suggested early in January that his work last year may have been just a fluke. We all know now that any such suggestion was dead wrong.

** What was frustrating about Capel's teams in his first four years was how those teams have faltered down the stretch. What we have seen from Capel’s teams in his last two years are groups who have improved over the course of the year. His 10-3 record of late, after the 1-5 ACC start is nothing short of remarkable.

** Last year, Jeff Capel was named ACC Coach of the Year, an honor he certainly deserved. He won’t receive this recognition this year. But I have no problem suggesting the work he’s done this year has topped what he accomplished last year.

** So we go into the final games before the NCAA Tournament with our post season fate still hanging in the balance. Personally, I still believe we need to pick up a win Saturday and two in Washington DC for our name to be called on Selection Sunday.

** But if we play in the ACC tournament the way we’ve played the last two games, winning at least two in that tournament may not be such a tall task.

** Still, even if we end up on the wrong side of the bubble, I feel more than comfortable suggesting that the team we’ve watched over the last two games, and really over the last 13 games, is one of the best 40 teams in the country. Maybe a fair bit better than that.

** So let’s all join at the Pete on Saturday to end this fine Panther regular season, and even finer Blake Hinson season with our greatest level of appreciation. They all deserve every bit of it.
Going to be really hard to win 2 in the ACC tourney now that we likely get a double bye. We may get in with just an NC St win, but an NC St win and one in ACC tourney will make us a lock now.

I think they would beat both teams now because Jaland wasn't starting in those earlier games. Changed the whole season around. Fede is playing much better now too, maybe he was not in game shape yet at that time perhaps.
We would beat Missouri easily. Florida would be a great game, they have played really well lately too.

** This wasn’t a stellar defensive from our Panthers. But it was a feisty and physical contest from which the Panthers never backed down.

** What was frustrating about Capel's teams in his first four years was how those teams have faltered down the stretch. What we have seen from Capel’s teams in his last two years are groups who have improved over the course of the year. His 10-3 record of late, after the 1-5 ACC start is nothing short of remarkable.

I can’t believe you think if we win Saturday and have a double bye they still need to win one and if no double bye two!? They are firmly IN unless something crazy happens. The human element piece is not going to leave out a top 5 ACC team

Mizzou, yes. Florida, would be a great game.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Glad someone recognized how much better Fede has been playing!! I’m a little biased, but I love that kid!!!

I can’t believe you think if we win Saturday and have a double bye they still need to win one and if no double bye two!? They are firmly IN unless something crazy happens. The human element piece is not going to leave out a top 5 ACC team

They left out a Top 3 ACC team last year in Clemson, who went 14-6 and took NC St, who lost to them 3 times by a million points. If we beat NC St, get the double bye and lose, we have about a 30% chance of getting in. I've been saying this for awhile but the bubble is crazy strong this year. I believe part of this is due to NET gaming and coaches understanding they need to coach blowouts. All those Big East and MWC teams have a ton of Q1 wins and good NETs. Pitt doesnt have the Q1s to offset the Q3 losses and how dare you lose at home to 11-9 Syracuse. If you put Pitt's resume this year in last year's field, they are pretty safely in and even ahead of last year's #67 Pitt team.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I think we’re confusing things when we say we need 2 ACC wins.

IMO we need NC State + getting to semifinals = lock (1 in ACC if double bye/ 2 if single)

NC state + getting to quarterfinals= bubble
(1 in ACC if single bye)

Wake (5th) in 2022 and Clemson (tied for 3rd) last year were left out. And Clemson made it to the semifinals last year. Let’s hope we don’t become the 2024 version of that infamous ACC recent legacy. At this point the ACC has only 3 locks. UVA should be lower than Pitt in brackets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittnerski
If we get the double bye, then one win against the five seed could do it. I was thinking that a five seed win against a 12 seed does nothing to help the case.

If we get the double bye, then one win against the five seed could do it. I was thinking that a five seed win against a 12 seed does nothing to help the case.
Yeah that makes more sense. Double bye is essential I guess as the first game can only hurt you. So dumb

I've really grown to love the makeup of this team, all the personalities are infectious. It will be a sad day when this season does end and we will no longer have the pleasure of watching and listening to Hinson. Austin seems to be a quite guy but boy he has really come to life as a somewhat over looked piece of the puzzle.
I'll be very disappointed should this team not make the tourney, longing to watch them play for a few more weeks.

Blake will leave as the best long range shooter in Pitt history. Maile and Matthews were excellent, but were not routinely making contested 28 footers. Larry Harris was a great shooter but he was before the 3 point line.

The only thing left is for Blake is to make one those long ones as a buzzer beater game winner in the ACC tourney or NCAA tourney. I would love for him and for us to have that moment.

YEP. He did a really good job coaching the team last year. This year his coaching has truly been exceptional.

He has put together a very efficient and dangerous team with Hinson, a kid who was playing pickup ball for a year in the middle of his college career, a Rhode Island transfer guard, two freshman guards and Fede, G and Austin.

That says a lot, but what we have seen the last two months has been a team that knows exactly what it should be going on both ends of the court and executing at a very high level. And, increasingly you can see the unique game planning from game to game that again they are executing.

It is important to note, a few weeks ago, I believe it was the Virginia game, the announces said the other team's HC told them before the game that in watching video teams have been trying to do all sorts of things to stop them offensively, and no one has come up with the answer. They certainly have had a good or two since that they did get slowed down, but we saw anther example last night.

FSU clearly came in prioritizing not letting Hinson get any clean looks outside the three point line. That game plan worked with Hinson, but HCJC has taught these kids how to adjust to that, using that to really spread the court out and allow for attacking inside the three point line, which led to Lowe having his first double double.

SO, Hamilton adjusted to using a zone in the second half, which left Hinson with open deep looks, which he used to break their backs.

As for Hinson, someone shared a tweet of Hinson after the game, arena empty other than staff, a student in the seating had asked him to sign a jersey and Hinson took the time to come out and do it, let someone take a picture of him and the kid, chatted them up a bit and shook both their hands.

If we play like we did against Boston College we do very well. If we played like we did last night an upstart team can surprise us and we go home. FSU made it too close for comfort late.

YEP. He did a really good job coaching the team last year. This year his coaching has truly been exceptional.

He has put together a very efficient and dangerous team with Hinson, a kid who was playing pickup ball for a year in the middle of his college career, a Rhode Island transfer guard, two freshman guards and Fede, G and Austin.

That says a lot, but what we have seen the last two months has been a team that knows exactly what it should be going on both ends of the court and executing at a very high level. And, increasingly you can see the unique game planning from game to game that again they are executing.

It is important to note, a few weeks ago, I believe it was the Virginia game, the announces said the other team's HC told them before the game that in watching video teams have been trying to do all sorts of things to stop them offensively, and no one has come up with the answer. They certainly have had a good or two since that they did get slowed down, but we saw anther example last night.

FSU clearly came in prioritizing not letting Hinson get any clean looks outside the three point line. That game plan worked with Hinson, but HCJC has taught these kids how to adjust to that, using that to really spread the court out and allow for attacking inside the three point line, which led to Lowe having his first double double.

SO, Hamilton adjusted to using a zone in the second half, which left Hinson with open deep looks, which he used to break their backs.

As for Hinson, someone shared a tweet of Hinson after the game, arena empty other than staff, a student in the seating had asked him to sign a jersey and Hinson took the time to come out and do it, let someone take a picture of him and the kid, chatted them up a bit and shook both their hands.

Credit to Hamilton for actually coaching. He played a token press in the 1st half, meant to deny the inbound pass and keep Lowe from bringing it up. It knocked us off our rhythm early. Then the 1-3-1 and 2-3 zones got us out of our rhythm midway through the 2nd.

As for Hinson and the guys. They are good people. You didnt feel that with Johnson/McGowens/Toney. Capel has built a strong culture which is difficult to do nowadays. That's partly why I dont think you can run off Fede or the twins in search of a better 5. I get that Jorge may not be ACC level but if he accepts his role, its fine for him to be the 12th man. Jeffress is also a great teammate. The issue next year is they are going to have 2 more guys in Barnes and Ndiaye who arent going to score. So that would give them 4/13 players right off the bat who cant score. So you better be able to rely on the other 9.

Credit to Hamilton for actually coaching. He played a token press in the 1st half, meant to deny the inbound pass and keep Lowe from bringing it up. It knocked us off our rhythm early. Then the 1-3-1 and 2-3 zones got us out of our rhythm midway through the 2nd.

As for Hinson and the guys. They are good people. You didnt feel that with Johnson/McGowens/Toney. Capel has built a strong culture which is difficult to do nowadays. That's partly why I dont think you can run off Fede or the twins in search of a better 5. I get that Jorge may not be ACC level but if he accepts his role, its fine for him to be the 12th man. Jeffress is also a great teammate. The issue next year is they are going to have 2 more guys in Barnes and Ndiaye who arent going to score. So that would give them 4/13 players right off the bat who cant score. So you better be able to rely on the other 9.
I just don’t think we’d get an impact big that’s a demonstrable upgrade. I’d rather spend that $ on the guards.

I just don’t think we’d get an impact big that’s a demonstrable upgrade. I’d rather spend that $ on the guards.
There's also the danger of too many mouths to feed, with balls and cash. You don't really need more than 3 primary scorers and then surround them with pieces who can step up.

FWIW, just exchanged texts with a friend of mine who is an assistant at NCSt @DT_PITT
"You guys aren't going to knock Pitt out are you?"
"In regardless. 44 NET. Maybe Dayton."

So the belief in coaching circles is they have done enough.

There's also the danger of too many mouths to feed, with balls and cash. You don't really need more than 3 primary scorers and then surround them with pieces who can step up.

FWIW, just exchanged texts with a friend of mine who is an assistant at NCSt @DT_PITT
"You guys aren't going to knock Pitt out are you?"
"In regardless. 44 NET. Maybe Dayton."

So the belief in coaching circles is they have done enough.
That’s good to hear. Hope the committee sees it the same way.

How do you know Barnes isn't gonna score next year?

Loved the intensity on both ends of the court. Love how involved all 5 players were in the offense in the first half

Fun game. Hard to believe this is the same team that imploded against Florida and Missouri
It is clearly NOT the same team, but I get what you mean.

88 points and 15 point win aren't acceptable apparently?
Yeah it was great but Florida STate kept getting it in single digits late. Maybe there is a reason we didn’t move up in NET. Because NET expectation would have been a 30 point win. If you cannot see we struggled with their bigs in the last 9 minutes you are wearing Blue/Gold glasses.

Going to be really hard to win 2 in the ACC tourney now that we likely get a double bye. We may get in with just an NC St win, but an NC St win and one in ACC tourney will make us a lock now.
If we get the double bye, a win against the five seed may be good enough.

If we are the 5 seed, a win against the 12 seed doesn’t help much at all. I think we’d need the second win against the four seed.

Yeah it was great but Florida STate kept getting it in single digits late. Maybe there is a reason we didn’t move up in NET. Because NET expectation would have been a 30 point win. If you cannot see we struggled with their bigs in the last 9 minutes you are wearing Blue/Gold glasses.
Um Pitt was favored by 7.5. We won by 15.

What a fun team to root for and one that has improved dramatically when it counts the most .

Hopefully this yr puts to bed the notion that JC and his staff aren’t capable of running a winning program.

I think Lowe’s floaters and improvisations around the basket are the best I’ve seen from a Panther ….ever . He’s becoming my favorite player to watch . As good as Bub and Blake have been Jaland has been the lynchpin of this team’s turnaround.

Blakes range is just amazing, I just wish he’d shoot his FTs better . After missing two FTs he drains 22 footers , crazy !

Can’t see Pitt not in the tourney if they win Sat and one game in DC .

The emergence of Lowe has completely elevated this team. If we had this version in November/December, we are not just in, but likely a top 25 ranked team. He's the best pure FR PG in Pitt history.

I think others know how much of a Lowe fan I am. I think he's Pitt's best player and certainly one of the best freshmen in the country. He adds so much more than just one player usually does. He makes every player on that team so much better than they could be by themselves. I'm just hopeful that he stays at least another year and doesn't get swayed by the massive NIL offers he's about to get, unless it's from Pitt.

And yes, he is the best pure freshman PG in Pitt history.

Can’t wait til Saturday. Hemingway’s?
My kid is coming in from spring break and the game, so we are going to go to Stacked as that's their favorite place. I should get there around 5:15.

** This wasn’t a stellar defensive contest from our Panthers. But it was a feisty and physical contest from which the Panthers never backed down.

** What was frustrating about Capel's teams in his first four years was how those teams faltered down the stretch. What we have seen from Capel’s teams in his last two years are groups who have improved over the course of the year. His 10-3 record of late, after the 1-5 ACC start is nothing short of remarkable.

Agree with your thoughts on Blake’s character. As far as some of his character moments yesterday, the one I liked the best was the bear hug he gave to Jaland from behind after knocking down the 3 for the record off a pass from Jaland.

I also agree with you that winning 2 in the ACC tourney may likely be needed to make the big dance. If we get the double bye, that 2nd one will have to come against UNC or Duke though.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Agree with your thoughts on Blake’s character. As far as some of his character moments yesterday, the one I liked the best was the bear hug he gave to Jaland from behind after knocking down the 3 for the record off a pass from Jaland.

I also agree with you that winning 2 in the ACC tourney may likely be needed to make the big dance. If we get the double bye, that 2nd one will have to come against UNC or Duke though.

I'll clarify ... if we get the 4 seed, we may only need one win as it would be a quality win against the 5 seed.

But I don't believe "one win in the ACC tournament" helps us if it's a win against a 12 seed.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT