ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina

Oct 25, 2021
Feels like they should have done much more with Howell and Maye (and you can maybe even add Trubisky, although it's looking like they may have actually made him look a lot better than he is).

I'm not going to dog them too much, because they're about the same level of program as us. But man... with some of the quarterbacks who have came through recently, just seems like a good bit was left on the table.

Reactions: ratking17
Feels like they should have done much more with Howell and Maye (and you can maybe even add Trubisky, although it's looking like they may have actually made him look a lot better than he is).

I'm not going to dog them too much, because they're about the same level of program as us. But man... with some of the quarterbacks who have came through recently, just seems like a good bit was left on the table.

Mack just isn’t ever going to get the talent up enough there to overcome his coaching, because UNC just isn’t a Top 10 recruiting class type school.

But he has certainly elevated their recruiting. And probably elevated the image of the school to other potential coaches. When that job comes open, if I’m a coach that thinks he’s an elite recruiter, I’d be thinking, “I can recruit like Mack without the gameday let downs. Which is going to mean a lot of wins.”

Mack just isn’t ever going to get the talent up enough there to overcome his coaching, because UNC just isn’t a Top 10 recruiting class type school.

But he has certainly elevated their recruiting. And probably elevated the image of the school to other potential coaches. When that job comes open, if I’m a coach that thinks he’s an elite recruiter, I’d be thinking, “I can recruit like Mack without the gameday let downs. Which is going to mean a lot of wins.”

It seems like they have a little Miami-itis in that they'll play up against certain competition and then just not show up at all other nights. Georgia Tech has been a thorn in their side as of late.

And yeah - he stacked three top 15ish classes in a row. But they've always recruited pretty well compared to their results. I mean, top 25/30 classes as consistently as they put them together should have been enough to make some noise in the Coastal. Makes me wonder if NC players might be a bit overrated, similarly to PA guys. I know they get a lot of them.

Narduzzi said in an interview this past Summer that they skip over the Carolinas when recruiting. I guess that makes sense, since there's a ton of competition down there. Looks like the state of North Carolina is putting about 50 guys in the P5 this recruiting cycle, which is probably similar to like an Ohio.

They have never put much of a defense on the field, and that issue pre-dates Mack.

They actually improved this year from 115 to 95 in total D.

I can't really think of schools who had such QB talent over the span of almost 10 years and really got nothing from it. Trubisky was #2. I know Howell ended up going in the 5th round but he was a pre-season top 5 NFL pick. Maye will definitely be. Crazy.

I can't really think of schools who had such QB talent over the span of almost 10 years and really got nothing from it. Trubisky was #2. I know Howell ended up going in the 5th round but he was a pre-season top 5 NFL pick. Maye will definitely be. Crazy.

I know they've played in a few ACC championships and a asterisks-containing Orange Bowl, but yeah... not a lot cooking. That dude before Trubisky wasn't too bad, I guess, and it looks like he gave them their best season in some time, in 2015. I wanna say his name was Marquis Williams. I seem to recall him going deep on Maddox against us on a Thursday night and us losing by like a touchdown.

They have never put much of a defense on the field, and that issue pre-dates Mack.

They actually improved this year from 115 to 95 in total D.
I came to say the same thing.

It has always been their defense over the years that's been their downfall.

They can recruit in the 10-25 range.

It will be interesting to see how they recruit when Mack retires. Mack's greatest asset is greasing up boosters for money.

UNC and NC State are probably the closest things to Pitt in terms of football programs, medicority, and missed opportunities. As you said, 3 straight elite QBs and nothing to show for it.

UNC and NC State are probably the closest things to Pitt in terms of football programs, medicority, and missed opportunities. As you said, 3 straight elite QBs and nothing to show for it.
Pitt actually won an ACC Championship.

There's really no other opportunities out there for Pitt, UNC, or NCSU.

Preseason hype and failing to deliver?
Still not seeing it.

Nobody outside of some parts of the ACC footprint cares about UNC football or talks about it. It's a basketball school with no meaningful football history outside of being the alma mater of LT.

ND is relevant in every preseason conversation about college football every year. ND has also achieved far higher than UNC ever has or will, including in recent years.

They can recruit in the 10-25 range.

It will be interesting to see how they recruit when Mack retires. Mack's greatest asset is greasing up boosters for money.

That’s the thing.

There’s some place you need to be a really good recruiter at to have success.

And there’s some places it doesn’t matter how good of a recruiter you are, the recruiting classes are only going to mid.

Mack has shown you can have very good classes at UNC. But you better be in that Mack level of a recruiter. Matt Campbell isn’t pulling Top 15 classes at UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT