ADVERTISEMENT

Now with Toney, 4 Star Hyatt favoring Pitt too? Visiting soon, Capel on Fire

Hazard a guess - At what position(s) and how many minutes would you expect Hyatt to play this season?
Chill out dude. Take a step back. 3 months ago everyone was hysterical because they thought it was going to take 3-5 years to become relevant again. Now you are worried because we will be lacking in one area this year. It’s a process. The bigs will come next year. But this year is looking light years better than anyone thought it would a short while ago.

Sure. Pitt needs a big. But is their a serviceable big still available at this point? I’d rather see Capel take a better player that will help Pitt more in the long run than reach for a guy to fill a position for the sake of filling that position?

Yes, I agree. I don't see any value in adding a big for 2018-2019 season who won't help immediately and will occupy a ship for 4-5 years.

But a decent rebounding big (grad transfer) who only ties up a ship for one year (or perhaps a JUCO who only ties up a ship for 2 years) could be the difference between a 12 to 15 win season and a 16 to 19 win season for 2018-2019. So, if such can be found I am for it.

Otherwise, IMO, Brown and Ilgomeh will have to be improved well beyond what fans are expecting if we are to avoid another below 0.500 season resulting--no matter how talented and deep we are at guard and wing and with playing a 4-guard style offense.

Reactions: gary2
I don't think anyone is arguing against Pitt needing a big man, or needs at other positions. I'm not.

But, I'd rather get as many good players as possible right now. I think a fighting spirit on the court and recruits getting to know Coach Capel will help a great deal for the 2019 recruiting class.

This team is going to turn out better than I would have ever expected, but they still aren’t a winner. I view this recruiting class like a draft. We take as many guys with upside as possible, results be damned, and figure out how to complement that to be a winner in 2019.

I couldn’t care less whether they are a “team” this year. Sleepy reiterated every game how high the spirits of the players were last year and how the chemistry was great, yet they lost 19 games in a row. That’s silly.

We need some badasses who want to put the ball in the hoop.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
Why is anybody really worried about next year . Yes , these are far better recruits than we’re use to seeing and the futures never looked better for long term success , but these aren’t Dukes or Kentucky type recruits . No ones leaving for the NBA after next season . This is a process , let’s get as many talented kids in here and let them develop . Next yr will be better and the yr after that will be even better and so on ...

This team is going to turn out better than I would have ever expected, but they still aren’t a winner. I view this recruiting class like a draft. We take as many guys with upside as possible, results be damned, and figure out how to complement that to be a winner in 2019.

I couldn’t care less whether they are a “team” this year. Sleepy reiterated every game how high the spirits of the players were last year and how the chemistry was great, yet they lost 19 games in a row. That’s silly.

Bingo!

Reactions: rrig5 and levance2
Yes, I agree. I don't see any value in adding a big for 2018-2019 season who won't help immediately and will occupy a ship for 4-5 years.

But a decent rebounding big (grad transfer) who only ties up a ship for one year (or perhaps a JUCO who only ties up a ship for 2 years) could be the difference between a 12 to 15 win season and a 16 to 19 win season for 2018-2019. So, if such can be found I am for it.

Otherwise, IMO, Brown and Ilgomeh will have to be improved well beyond what fans are expecting if we are to avoid another below 0.500 season resulting--no matter how talented and deep we are at guard and wing and with playing a 4-guard style offense.
I would say very few big man grad transfers will move the needle that much. Any big worth his salt leaves early, and any dude not going to the NBA will be like Maia or Ododa. If I had the choice between a 4 star wing and a space eater underneath, I'd take the guy who has a possibility of being a star.

Not every really good team has an excellent 5 man. I am sure Capel can work around it for one year.

Anyone who can't see this is somewhat deluded.

I would say very few big man grad transfers will move the needle that much. Any big worth his salt leaves early, and any dude not going to the NBA will be like Maia or Ododa. If I had the choice between a 4 star wing and a space eater underneath, I'd take the guy who has a possibility of being a star.

Not every really good team has an excellent 5 man. I am sure Capel can work around it for one year.

Results for the 2018-2019 season will be relevant. If that team demonstrates a significant W-L improvement it will help in recruiting the 2020 class (November 2019 LOI signees) since Capel will be able to sell a program that is rising rapidly. The lesser the improvement in 2018-19 the lesser will be Capel's ability to sell Pitt to that 2020 class.

As of now, there has been added increased depth in the backcourt and on the wing. However, much of it is young freshman and, talented or not, they most likely will only have a modest impact as freshmen on overall team results. Their best and biggest contributions will likely not happen until they are soph and juniors.

In the interim, this roster appears to remain extremely weak in talent needed for rebounding and defending the rim. IMO, that doesn't indicate to me that significant W-L improvement is likely without the addition of a big who can make an immediate defensive impact. If that can't happen, so be it. But it would be nice if an experienced transfer defensive big could be added to bridge the gap until better quality bigs can be added via high school recruiting. But, maybe Brown and Ilgomeh will make giant leaps forward and all will be well in the rebounding and rim defending area. We shall see what happens.

Reactions: Chescat and gary2
Idc what position these kids play,if pitt wins that’s all that matters,our Big guys finnaly have a a true coach to coach them up,he might be able to get something out of them

Results for the 2018-2019 season will be relevant. If that team demonstrates a significant W-L improvement it will help in recruiting the 2020 class (November 2019 LOI signees) since Capel will be able to sell a program that is rising rapidly. The lesser the improvement in 2018-19 the lesser will be Capel's ability to sell Pitt to that 2020 class.

As of now, there has been added increased depth in the backcourt and on the wing. However, much of it is young freshman and, talented or not, they most likely will only have a modest impact as freshmen on overall team results. Their best and biggest contributions will likely not happen until they are soph and juniors.

In the interim, this roster appears to remain extremely weak in talent needed for rebounding and defending the rim. IMO, that doesn't indicate to me that significant W-L improvement is likely without the addition of a big who can make an immediate defensive impact. If that can't happen, so be it. But it would be nice if an experienced transfer defensive big could be added to bridge the gap until better quality bigs can be added via high school recruiting. But, maybe Brown and Ilgomeh will make giant leaps forward and all will be well in the rebounding and rim defending area. We shall see what happens.
Glad to see somebody gets it

Reactions: sonofabit

I have no idea whats available out there for grad transfer bigs, but Capel does. If he thinks a 4 star wing beats a low level grad transfer center, I can live with that. We'll see what happens.

You get it, Capel doesn't?

I know who I am betting on, and it's not the ninny wringing hands over getting another 4 star talent.
Tell you what - I will acknowledge how wise you are when Capel puts Hyatt on this year's team.

You want Hyatt - Are you sure Capel does?

Is that fair enough for you? The #45 player reportedly wants to come here. You feel Capel has to want him. Should almost certainly happen. Lets see.

Or..maybe the last ride goes to the nearest thing to a big.

Last edited:
SCORE, SCORE, SCORE. That’s where we had our most difficulty last season.
And just about every other season, even some of our best ones. The Howland/Dixon era scoring droughts in the middle of games-often in the second half-were legendary. Fortunately we were pretty good most years in causing similar problems for the opponent.

JC just points out that we’re young and talented and your one of the missing pieces we need to take that giant leap . They’ll be better they show improvement and he’ll recruit just fine no matter what their record is next season .

Tell you what - I will acknowledge how wise you are when Capel puts Hyatt on this year's team.

You want Hyatt - Are you sure Capel does?

Is that fair enough for you? The #45 player reportedly wants to come here. You feel Capel has to want him. Should almost certainly happen. Lets see.

Or..maybe the last ride goes to the nearest thing to a big.
I'll let it ride with whatever coach thinks is best. I NEVER said he has to want him. My opinion is that you take a top player in the country over a low major schlub just because he is tall. I'm certainly not going to wring my hands that we are getting too many highly rated wings and guards at the expense of bringing in a 6'8" guy from Alcorn State for one year.

I agree on let's see, cheers to you.

Maybe a lot, maybe none. Depends who the best players turn out to be. You don't turn away good talent though because some internet know nothing schlubs don't know how things will turn out.
There will be a ton of minutes available this season for any player who can walk and chew gum simultaneously. All of Capel’s best players will be in the backcourt and on the wing. Expect a lot of small lineups with Terrell Brown getting the bulk of time at the 5.

It would be close to a minor miracle for Capel to bring in a talented big who can contribute right away at his point. I’m not putting it past him, but I just don’t see any out there. That’s why he was looking at that 6’9 stiff from Canada the other day.

Hazard a guess - At what position(s) and how many minutes would you expect Hyatt to play this season?

No clue. Pitt's pretty crowded at the wing right now. But that doesn't change my position. I'd rather see Pitt take a 4* guy like Hyatt under the assumption that he'll straighten out his shooting than take a flyer on some grad transfer big man who averaged 5 and 5 against poor competition.

There are a lot of arguments against you, gary2:
- we were 0-19 so take BPA (only one I really would make)
- there is no such thing as too many wings these days
- Capel prefers a 4 out offense anyway

I am less sold in the 2019 record matters thing, as long as we can win about 4 conference games, it sells the trending up from 0 well enough.

That said, I'd be fine with taking a solid grad transfer big IF they were a legitimate rim defender -- but does that guy even exist? We've lacked a legit rim defender for something like four years, which is a problem. Hopefully it can be somewhat minimize that weakness by having guards play better perimeter defense to stop so much penetration to start with.

Reactions: gary2 and HOF Coach

I am less sold in the 2019 record matters thing, as long as we can win about 4 conference games, it sells the trending up from 0 well enough.

That said, I'd be fine with taking a solid grad transfer big IF they were a legitimate rim defender -- but does that guy even exist? We've lacked a legit rim defender for something like four years, which is a problem. Hopefully it can be somewhat minimize that weakness by having guards play better perimeter defense to stop so much penetration to start with.
I understand why people on the other side of this issue feel the way they do - I do admit to be somewhat surprised about how some people seem to be coming on so strongly against my position.

I think having multiple high level recruits (in your first class) with any of those players hardly playing is not helpful to future recruiting.

Does it help recruiting if a Toney or a Hyatt hardly plays? Does it help recruiting if Johnson hardly plays?

I believe Capel said he wants to win now. Even if we play the style some have argued we will, I find it hard to argue that a physical big would not be more useful than whatever wing loses the battle for playing time.

I don't think in 2018 basketball there is a such thing as a log jam for wings and guards? Maybe I'm wrong.

Adams was the last one.

I understand why people on the other side of this issue feel the way they do - I do admit to be somewhat surprised about how some people seem to be coming on so strongly against my position.

I think having multiple high level recruits (in your first class) with any of those players hardly playing is not helpful to future recruiting.

Does it help recruiting if a Toney or a Hyatt hardly plays? Does it help recruiting if Johnson hardly plays?

I believe Capel said he wants to win now. Even if we play the style some have argued we will, I find it hard to argue that a physical big would not be more useful than whatever wing loses the battle for playing time.
You don’t want your coach to say anything else now do you ?

Pitt hasn’t signed any can’t miss guys , there’s no guarantee that any of these guys will be superstars .

I want to see guys that have the athletic ability to play with the conference big boys , but I don’t expect them to be ready to beat the Dukes of the world their first year . Adding a mediocre grad transfer won’t really help .

Pitts best hope for the inside play is that Brown , Peace and Chewy improve .

Unless these guys are vastly overrated they’ll see plenty of PT .

Reactions: Loman909

If Capel is going after high end recruits, I hardly doubt they are worried about how much PT prior recruits have gotten. Just like top recruits generally dont worry about who they will be competing with for PT because they all believe in their ability to get PT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT