ADVERTISEMENT

Observations

Oct 25, 2021
1) Guess it wasn't really a QB competition after all. Narduzzi expected the game to be out of reach earlier so he could insert Yarnell and continue the lip service, but it's pretty obvious that Holstein has the job.

2) I wonder if part of the reason they know they have to go with Holstein is this o line. The pocket was seldom clean today, and it reminded me of the pass blocking in 2018... and this is only Kent State. *Gulp*

3) Love some of the offensive plays. Lots of misdirection, etc. That's what college football should be about: you're not facing professionals; try to make them think as much as possible. They will inevitably miss assignments.

Love getting guys the ball in space and a passing game that serves as an extension of the running game.

4) They didn't get tested a ton, but CB is going to be a problem. Battle isn't a natural CB at all.

5) I'm more encouraged than discouraged by Holstein, because at least he can make the throws. But he's got a long way to go. Lots of low passes; obviously the interception and two more should-have-been interceptions... you can't lob it up like that; needed to look defenders off a few times instead of staring a guy down and throwing it to him.

But I'm encouraged. It will all be about how well he can learn to play the position.

6) D line... well, it's what we thought it would be. I think Edwards, Matlack, and Scott will be okay. But that interior... yikes. Hopefully Fitzsimmons and Brewu are back soon.

7) Kent State is awful and will probably lose about 125-10, in total, against Tennessee and Penn State. I'm excited to see how we look against a P4 team.

3) Love some of the offensive plays. Lots of misdirection, etc. That's what college football should be about: you're not facing professionals; try to make them think as much as possible. They will inevitably miss assignments.

Love getting guys the ball in space and a passing game that serves as an extension of the running game.

You can see what they want to do, and you can see how it could work against a good team. But man, they need to be much better on offense really soon (and we certainly should expect some level of improvement as the year goes on) or this could get ugly fast.

And it doesn't look like the offense is going to get much help from the defense. If we don't play defense much better really soon, we are going to need to win games like the 2016 Syracuse game. And the offense certainly isn't up to that yet.

Call me nuts, but I'm encouraged even though it was Kent St.

- Holstein looked much better than I expected. He's a RS freshman so he's gonna make mistakes. Threw a lot of nice balls

- Turnovers were unacceptable. Muffed punt was terrible. Up 28-7 and getting the ball back - you absolutely can't do that.

- O'Brien needs to be better or sit. The defense wasn't bad, but wasnt good. Gave up a few plays they shouldn't have.

- The WCU guys can play. Reid looks like a nice player.

- Thought Bell called a good game. Was aggressive until the end.

Offense looked better than I expected and the defense a bit worse, but I think they'll be able to fix their problems.

The biggest improvement comes between weeks 1 and 2.

I didn't realize Kent St has Penn St and TENN coming up, they are going to get demolished in those games. I hope their kids don't lose heart.

There was good and bad with Holstein. But then I sit back and think he had 300 yards, 3 TDs in his first college game ever. Very good chance he just keeps getting better all year. Of course, the competition will be getting better too, but like he looked better in his first college game than many QBs we've trotted out have ever looked in their career.

Offense looked better than I expected and the defense a bit worse, but I think they'll be able to fix their problems.

agree, my only complaint with offense is I thought they could have turned off the tempo game late in the 4th. There was about 3 minutes left and Yarnell was snapping with more than 20 seconds on the clock, or throwing passes. Would have liked to seen more grinding of the clock at that point.

agree, my only complaint with offense is I thought they could have turned off the tempo game late in the 4th. There was about 3 minutes left and Yarnell was snapping with more than 20 seconds on the clock, or throwing passes. Would have liked to seen more grinding of the clock at that point.

I said something like that at the game. "There's three minutes left, we are up by 28 points, just run the clock down and go home."

Agree with your comment about the O Line. They need to get much better quickly. Kent State had lots of pressure....and it's we're talking about Kent State. Branson Taylor got used a few times.

Agree on the DB's. They're going to get torched against good competition particularly if we can't get pressure on the QB. I still can't understand why our DB's never seem to try to locate the ball.

WR's played pretty well if you ignore the Mumfield drops.

TE's were MIA in the first half. Second half we seem to have discovered that you're allowed to throw the ball to a TE.

Agree 100% on why Holstein is the choice at QB. We need someone who can move given the amount of pressure they are likely to see.

Overall, a pretty good start for the season but we're going to need to improve against quality teams.

Reactions: 303vND
They want Yarnell to get live game reps on hiw they want offense run. No problem with it because it was 1st game.

I know why they were doing it, but he took a couple of shots on that last drive. He takes one that he doesn't get up from and it's a whole different story. At some point, discretion is the better part of valor.

1) Guess it wasn't really a QB competition after all. Narduzzi expected the game to be out of reach earlier so he could insert Yarnell and continue the lip service, but it's pretty obvious that Holstein has the job.

2) I wonder if part of the reason they know they have to go with Holstein is this o line. The pocket was seldom clean today, and it reminded me of the pass blocking in 2018... and this is only Kent State. *Gulp*

4) They didn't get tested a ton, but CB is going to be a problem. Battle isn't a natural CB at all.

5) I'm more encouraged than discouraged by Holstein, because at least he can make the throws. But he's got a long way to go. Lots of low passes; obviously the interception and two more should-have-been interceptions... you can't lob it up like that; needed to look defenders off a few times instead of staring a guy down and throwing it to him.

But I'm encouraged. It will all be about how well he can learn to play the position.

6) D line... well, it's what we thought it would be. I think Edwards, Matlack, and Scott will be okay. But that interior... yikes. Hopefully Fitzsimmons and Brewu are back soon.

7) Kent State is awful and will probably lose about 125-10, in total, against Tennessee and Penn State. I'm excited to see how we look against a P4 team.
1 & 2) I think it's possible it was a competition and some point recently, they like what they see from Eli a little more than Nate. I think you're right that it's Eli's job now. But based on what I saw yesterday, I can easily see Eli shitting the bed against better competition when he gets hit in the mouth. When that day comes, does he sit or play through?

3) Mostly agree. But college football at the highest level will always be about physicality and dominating in the trenches. Several different ways you can scheme it from there, but you can't
be elite without elite line play.

5) Agree. Given his first ever start & natural throwing ability, I fall on the side of VERY encouraged. Give him better OL play and with more experience, I think he can make the offense hum and put up huge numbers.

3) Mostly agree. But college football at the highest level will always be about physicality and dominating in the trenches. Several different ways you can scheme it from there, but you can't
be elite without elite line play.

5) Agree. Given his first ever start & natural throwing ability, I fall on the side of VERY encouraged. Give him better OL play and with more experience, I think he can make the offense hum and put up huge numbers.

of course, you aren't going to beat Georgia in the playoffs with schemes alone. But it would still be a pretty nice season just to make the playoffs relying on that style.

I said something like that at the game. "There's three minutes left, we are up by 28 points, just run the clock down and go home."
I see it a bit differently. It’s a new offense and Nate needs the reps. So I have no problem running the normal offense I’m not a fan of putting your back ups in and running the clock out

Various ways to look at the game. Missed the 1st half yesterday--watched the first half this morning on ESPN app.

Had it been a clean first half offensively, IMHO, Pitt would have kicked a short FG on 4th-down instead of getting the 4th TD after the targeting call on 4th-down play. Then, take away Kent's Pitt-fumbled punt return TD and be more conservative near the goal line on the series where Kent got the interception and long return and kick another short FG to end that drive.

That would have led to a 27-7 halftime score vs 28-14 and probable a final like 54-17.

Would we have felt better about that result rather than what we got (55-24)?

Maybe yes, IMHO. A lot to like about the new offense; but, there are situations in the red zone where it would be better to be a little more conservative.

It torched Iowa who actually had a pulse
The defense lost that game .

If it performs about cincy and wvu - I’ll believe in it .
torched Iowa through 3 quarters, and then fell asleep for rest of game. Couldn't do a thing against Utah.

What part of my post of "it was only one game" and comparing to the Graham debut only didn't compute for you?

Reactions: Tanat

Next 2 weeks will inform us if a bowl game is possible

of course, you aren't going to beat Georgia in the playoffs with schemes alone. But it would still be a pretty nice season just to make the playoffs relying on that style.

Count me as one who thinks it's fun to win regardless of style.

If there were a time machine back to the 90s,, I'd be just as cool with Nebraska's Triple Option as Florida's Fun n' Gun.

I'm pretty damned happy with Hollstein. Or Holstein. Whatever. This is a young kid with pedigree on the stage for the first time. Yeah, it was a shit opponent, but that matters not. He's far better than what we've had many times before.

A good QB can make a huge difference, as we learned one year recently. And he's got at least one more year, if not two. This is good.

Reactions: NCPitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT