ADVERTISEMENT

Off Campus - NCSU

VeroBeachPanther

Scholarship
Jun 27, 2001
Hilton Head Island, SC
I was at NCSTATE v. Furman for "parents weekend". If your not familiar, they play 3 miles off campus at NC Fairgroud complex. Being off campus doesn't seem to bother anyone. Today with Uber's and Lyfts the students could come and go anytime they wanted. Someone in each fraternity had a pickup or they rented a uhaul to setup tailgates.

For the old timer fans (me) most seats are hard uncomfortable benches (no backs or cup holders) and a lot of people had to move because wider fans had used up more than the allotted 17" plank.
And there was no view of the nice Raleigh skyline.

We have a good thing in Heinz.

BTW: stadium started emptying at halftime because the home team was up big and it was 90 degrees

I was at NCSTATE v. Furman for "parents weekend". If your not familiar, they play 3 miles off campus at NC Fairgroud complex. Being off campus doesn't seem to bother anyone. Today with Uber's and Lyfts the students could come and go anytime they wanted. Someone in each fraternity had a pickup or they rented a uhaul to setup tailgates.

For the old timer fans (me) most seats are hard uncomfortable benches (no backs or cup holders) and a lot of people had to move because wider fans had used up more than the allotted 17" plank.

BTW: stadium started emptying at halftime because the home team was up big and it was 90 degrees

Agree to disagree

Look around the stadium at Pitt, most of the guys and some strong stomach ladles who go, are the ones 40 and over. The only young people around are the students , at times that's not even true, and youngins, brought to games by the 40 somethings and older. We lost a generation or two of Pitt fans. If KETCHUP is so great, where are they ???? I mean the lost Pitt fan has had the best of everything according to some on here, why did they leave or never take the passion?

I sat through some very bad ball, I'm 46, but the passion was strong , it still is , but not like it was a decade ago.

Winning cures all.

Not sure why fans get a "bad rap" either for this being a fact.

Scenarios like the Chicago Cubs (until recently) are rare. To have a true integration in to the fabric of the culture, you need to consistently win.

Heinz is a good facility in a great location. It does lack a little of the "college town" and "tailgating feel". But the amenities in it and especially around it are pretty unique in college football. I'm sure visiting teams consider it a great trip for fans

That comes back to - WIN. That gets back two groups. 1) passionate fans that the experience isn't worth the money and 2) the yinzer fringe that will support winning and an event.

Have I mentioned winning, damnit?

Winning cures all.

Not sure why fans get a "bad rap" either for this being a fact.

Scenarios like the Chicago Cubs (until recently) are rare. To have a true integration in to the fabric of the culture, you need to consistently win.

Heinz is a good facility in a great location. It does lack a little of the "college town" and "tailgating feel". But the amenities in it and especially around it are pretty unique in college football. I'm sure visiting teams consider it a great trip for fans

That comes back to - WIN. That gets back two groups. 1) passionate fans that the experience isn't worth the money and 2) the yinzer fringe that will support winning and an event.

Have I mentioned winning, damnit?
You need big time players to win at the level yinzers would jump aboard. The only way to land enough of those players is to play the recruiting game.

Saw them play GA State there and it was 95 but the game was close so very few left early.
Correct , miles off campus but they pretty much fill the place.

This constant racket about building a football field yes football in clogged up Oakland is poppycock.
Heinz is fine.

So, NC State has their own stadium, it has crappy seats and no view, lacks the amentities of Heinz, yet they get 10,000 more per game than Pitt. Hmm.

Reactions: Toddy_Too_Hotty

I too have been there (for multiple "parents weekends") and you are 100% correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT