ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic...Peduto to speak at commencement

The cost is negligible in the scheme of city budget....there is no such thing as a negiblie cost in a budget unless you have large surpluses and no tax increases...

if increased safety is the issue, taking the bus makes commuting safer also...

Nice non sequitur. Banning cars from the roads makes it safer too.

I think he graduated or at least took some classes at Pitt's grad school for intl. affairs (GSPIA). I've worked with folks from his office on an almost daily basis. They are all without exception idiots. I'm shocked at the massive amount of money the city wastes on stupid projects while the roads and bridges crumble, petty crime destroys all but the best neighborhoods and business runs away from the city screaming.

I admit, I thought his effort to replace the city's population with Millennials was a logical and wise effort. Unfortunately, it has back-fired badly. His efforts to change up the signalized intersections to LED was ahead of its time and saved the city millions. Yet, his utter dependence on unions and social justice buffoons has completely negated all of that.

Peduto has a Masters from Pitt (GSPIA 2011).

Nothing wrong with Pitt kissing a little ass to the people in power in the city, potentially greasing some wheels for the future by throwing him an honorary degree, and this costs Pitt essentially nothing. Lord knows Pitt's has had enough confrontation with politicians in the city for the last 70 years.

That said, Pitt has never shown a propensity to spend a lot on commencement speakers. I can't say I'd be excited if I was a senior.

nice non sequitur right back at you in that motorized vehicles on roads design for motor vehicles are a necessity. You sacrifice safety for necessity. ..creating happy lanes on the aforementioned roads designed for motor vehicles for non essential (other means available other than slowing down all traffic) bikes are not......

don't get me started on crosswalk knuckleheads....

The best and most effective way to increase traffic safety and to increase efficiency is to remove as many personal vehicles from the road as possible in favor of more efficient modes of transportation. It’s why the Port Authority is trying to make bus commuting and pedestrian accessibility more efficient and effective through Oakland, and why they’re trying to separate bike commuters from personal drivers as much as is practicable.

And yet, we have people here who want to move the campus out to where you can only get to Pitt by taking a highway. It’s insane.

Reactions: CougarClaws
nice non sequitur right back at you in that motorized vehicles on roads design for motor vehicles are a necessity. You sacrifice safety for necessity. ..creating happy lanes for non essential, other means available, bikes are not......

don't get me started on crosswalk knuckleheads....

Buses are motorized vehicles. You can take the bus.

yes, that is what I said originally. yes I can...

Agreed. But some chose to drive a car. Some chose to ride a bike. I just think that it is possible to share and it makes sense to provide infrastructure so that bikers are less of a hazard to cars and vice versa.

Buses are motorized vehicles. You can take the bus.
im fine with trolley but I'd rather get hit by a bus than have to ride one. I've rode a Pittsburgh bus on occasion in this city and well I know that going forward, i'll walk, take an uber or just not go.

yes, that is what I said originally. yes I can...either way I will have the ability to go 35 mph and keep up with the flow of traffic should I need to (even uphill)...

That makes no sense, if bicyclists have their own lane they aren’t hindering your ability to drive 35 mph.

I've advocated Pitt move as much out of the city as possible for years. I would start with the hospitals and move them to places people can get to..somewhere off the new 576 for instance. If the elite in the city want to drive, they can...then let the custodial worker get jobs with the city. I'm with you 150%, Pitt is no good for the city and should move.
I find it amusing - your handle. Reminds me of what Russia has done to our country. Kinda like moving our univerity out where nobody lives...

Looking back on it, the guest speaker at my class's commencement was Zbigniew Brzezinski. He was certainly a famous, learned man, but as a speaker, he was dry and as boring as can be.

The best and most effective way to increase traffic safety and to increase efficiency is to remove as many personal vehicles from the road as possible in favor of more efficient modes of transportation. It’s why the Port Authority is trying to make bus commuting and pedestrian accessibility more efficient and effective through Oakland, and why they’re trying to separate bike commuters from personal drivers as much as is practicable.

And yet, we have people here who want to move the campus out to where you can only get to Pitt by taking a highway. It’s insane.
And quite representative of our country's mindset. We are a conflicted culture. A third of us, though mostly well meaning folks, have been convinced/propagandized to commit societal suicide.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
-- Frederic Bastiat

Reactions: CougarClaws
When it moved to it's present location few people lived there but what the heck...live in the past CC. It's safe there. Nothing to challenge your intellect.
This is funny. I study the future, and change with the times. Though i do usually lag 3 or 4 years back of the cool kids.

The City of Pittsburgh has a bright & busy future. Your neighborhood can only but feed on it.

That makes no sense, if bicyclists have their own lane they aren’t hindering your ability to drive 35 mph.
they are hindering my ability (and their safety) to make a right turn...where else on the roadway do you make a right turn crossing over another lane (and in this case a lane containing difficult to see bikes) of traffic?

they are hindering my ability (and their safety) to make a right turn...where else on the roadway do you make a right turn crossing over another lane (and in this case a lane containing difficult to see bikes) of traffic?
Bikes are a public nuisance....

They are not popular in Sh!thole countries bc they are saving the planet, they are a necessary means of transportation bc cars can’t be built or afforded there....

Bikes belong on top of cars & taken to parks , trails or country roads. Or best yet, off road altogether.....

Looking back on it, the guest speaker at my class's commencement was Zbigniew Brzezinski. He was certainly a famous, learned man, but as a speaker, he was dry and as boring as can be.

Mine was Richard Clarke (first commencement in the Pete). Truly the most boring speech I've ever heard.

Bikes are a public nuisance....

They are not popular in Sh!thole countries bc they are saving the planet, they are a necessary means of transportation bc cars can’t be built or afforded there....

Bikes belong on top of cars & taken to parks , trails or country roads. Or best yet, off road altogether.....
Ever been to one of those sh!thole countries in Europe? Cars, bikes, and pedestrians get along just fine on the same streets. Drivers do not feel like they own the road and everyone else is a nuisance.

I don't understand how people feel important if a politician gives them some hand shake and slap on the back. This is what politicians do.

I find it odd you quote a sentence and then proceed to totally ignore the context of what you quoted. "Few times" wasnt a handshake and pat on the back. And it was before he was even elected mayor. But Im sure those small truths dont mean much to you

Ever been to one of those sh!thole countries in Europe? Cars, bikes, and pedestrians get along just fine on the same streets. Drivers do not feel like they own the road and everyone else is a nuisance.
Ever been to one of those sh!thole countries in South America ?
Bikes, and pedestrians get the hell outta the way or else they will be killed !
Hell . You take your life in your own hands driving a vehicle down there !

Yeah all over it and don’t care about what Europeans do or think....

But try to show you have equal rights as a biker in Rome...you’ll end up ass over head in a fountain...

Screw Europe.....regardless.

Reactions: Swervin27
Yeah all over it and don’t care about what Europeans do or think....

But try and think you have equal rights as a biker in Rome...you’ll end up ass over head in a fountain...

Screw Europe.....regardless.
Nope, been to Rome. Never saw a biker in a fountain.

Nope, been to Rome. Never saw a biker in a fountain.
This is cute .
Been to Europe . Stayed in a number of places for an extended period .
If you think the these people are accommodating to anyone but themselves ? You've never been there .

Reactions: paulbl99
Yeah. Lol. Elite. Sorry Mr Hannity. I was born and raised in the projects of Rankin. Far from any bullshite you can cut and paste from Foxnews

well we've managed to make it to the 2nd page on a political post and it hasn't turned too ugly just yet. a few jabs but nothing crazy. I think this shows that we as a board are starting to mature and we can talk about our differences without resorting to name calling.

Reactions: pbrad and paulbl99

Sure they do. We just don't do that well here. I know I know. There goes that use of data again. Those damn commies.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F02%2F20150224_Cyclists_Fo.jpg

I was born and raised in the projects of Rankin.

Then we have alot in common, but I do not see many politicians helping the lower middle class and this has led to the results of our latest Presidential election, IMHO. Blaming people for being stupid when they become disenfranchised because of continued lack of economic hope is not a great way to lead.

Sure they do. We just don't do that well here. I know I know. There goes that use of data again. Those damn commies.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F02%2F20150224_Cyclists_Fo.jpg
I cant believe someone actually spent time in creating this. Its hilarious this graph even exists..

ADVERTISEMENT