ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Thoughts-Long

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
First off Chris can you get @RoadToNumber10 to do an article comparing our current offense to modern pro offenses?

I watch a lot of pro football and I don’t think we run a modem pro style offense at all. Part of it is obviously players. No we don’t have Tyrese Hill. But I see a lot of things we don’t do schematically. That is a pro offense.

1) The average time seems to be around 3-4 seconds max for qb to release the football. That’s too anyone including tight ends and running backs in the NFL. Fields was under 3 seconds a lot last night and he is a bad qb.

2) WR have mastered their route trees and know with the qb to break off or duck inside. Are our WR having too complicated route trees and too many options? Do they make the qb hold the ball too long?

3) Why don’t we use more pre snap motion. That’s used all the time in the NFL now and helps to get the guy in motion open in the flat or circle route or end around.

4) we don’t move the pocket. This is done in the NFL right from the snap now into roll outs and an underneath pass to a back or right end or a deeper route to the sideline.

5) Maybe we can use Kenny on one to two deep post play or stop and go’s per game to loosen the box a bit. The other team is close to the line of scrimmage.

6) Most pro teams use two backs during a game . We need Hammond but maybe save him a little and pace him so we can use him in the second half of games more. If he can’t catch then pitch him the ball or shovel pass. Be creative.

7) I liked the seam routes to Barth. Need to keep doing that. We need to use him so much more. I would use him like Sam Laporte for the Detroit Lions. Just get the ball in his hands. Even little quick flip passes off a rollout.

I just watch a lot of pro football and our offense is what I saw in the pros about 25 years ago. So I don’t understand why we keep calling it a pro offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News