ADVERTISEMENT

One rule to Improve Scoring

Harve74

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
Lots of talk lately about changing rules to raise scoring - shorter shot clocks, changing 3-pt distance, eliminating the charge or making the circle bigger, etc.

Basically, all if them would move the game closer to the NBA rules.

Two real problems with that.

1) Very few college players are skilled enough to play NBA basketball style.
2) A LOT of college fans don't particularly like NBA basketball, at least partly because of the differences in style.

ONE simple rule change could raise scoring and make the college game much better. It won't happen, but it could.

Eliminate the one and done rule. The guys who should be best 15 to 25 players in college basketball have already been in the NBA for a season or three by this time.

If we had the 8 or 9 star caliber guys who go early entry EVERY season playing as sophomores, again as juniors and again as seniors, many would be nearly unstoppable. Scoring would go up with more All-American caliber players.

And MORE different teams would have star caliber players because 5-star recruits would not stack up 2 or 3 deep at KY or Duke if they knew they would be sitting behind superstars for 2 or 3 years. So, more teams would have star-caliber players to drive their offenses.

The early entry draft is why scoring is down. The best players simply are gone and coaches have to do what they can to win with lesser talent.

It won't happen, but that IS the root of the problem. Not the rules on the court.

Originally posted by Harve74:
Lots of talk lately about changing rules to raise scoring - shorter shot clocks, changing 3-pt distance, eliminating the charge or making the circle bigger, etc.

Basically, all if them would move the game closer to the NBA rules.

Two real problems with that.

1) Very few college players are skilled enough to play NBA basketball style.
2) A LOT of college fans don't particularly like NBA basketball, at least partly because of the differences in style.

ONE simple rule change could raise scoring and make the college game much better. It won't happen, but it could.

Eliminate the one and done rule. The guys who should be best 15 to 25 players in college basketball have already been in the NBA for a season or three by this time.

If we had the 8 or 9 star caliber guys who go early entry EVERY season playing as sophomores, again as juniors and again as seniors, many would be nearly unstoppable. Scoring would go up with more All-American caliber players.

And MORE different teams would have star caliber players because 5-star recruits would not stack up 2 or 3 deep at KY or Duke if they knew they would be sitting behind superstars for 2 or 3 years. So, more teams would have star-caliber players to drive their offenses.

The early entry draft is why scoring is down. The best players simply are gone and coaches have to do what they can to win with lesser talent.

It won't happen, but that IS the root of the problem. Not the rules on the court.
The NBA should adopt the MLB rule. You can go pro out of HS, but if you don't, you have to wait until you're 3 seasons removed from HS (ie junior or RS soph year).

But the NCAA is at the liberty of the NBA here.

I would like this rule as a selfish college basketball fan. However, if a kid is ready to play in the NBA after a year or 2, I do think he should be allowed to go make the money.

I think what hurts the game more than the 1 and dones are the marginal players who declare early but aren't even NBA material. A guy like Jamel Artis could think, "hey, I had a great ACC season, I'm good enough and some agent will be telling him the same thing." I'm not saying he will go or should go but just using him as an example of the type of player that leaves college too soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT