ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WVU and PSU NIL

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Besides getting the coach's kid for free, WVU isnt having a great time in free agency. They only return 2 players and have only landed 3 other players so far, all from the University of Illinois system. 2 from Champaign-Urbana who averaged 2 PPG and 3 PPG. 1 from Chicago who averaged 11. This is a program who had one of the highest payrolls in college basketball last season and would have been higher if Tre Mitchell and Joe Toussaint didn't transfer. Makes me wonder if the boosters are taking a year or 2 off from basketball to go all in on football, who I don't believe has lost a significant player.

And PSU - not a good transfer class so far. I didn't think Rhoads was a good hire. Never like guys who simply maintain the best job in their league.

Besides getting the coach's kid for free, WVU isnt having a great time in free agency. They only return 2 players and have only landed 3 other players so far, all from the University of Illinois system. 2 from Champaign-Urbana who averaged 2 PPG and 3 PPG. 1 from Chicago who averaged 11. This is a program who had one of the highest payrolls in college basketball last season and would have been higher if Tre Mitchell and Joe Toussaint didn't transfer. Makes me wonder if the boosters are taking a year or 2 off from basketball to go all in on football, who I don't believe has lost a significant player.

And PSU - not a good transfer class so far. I didn't think Rhoads was a good hire. Never like guys who simply maintain the best job in their league.
This is a really good post…for tribalists who weirdly obsess over what a school an hour south and 3 hours east does.

Don't know what ps has coming in, but pretty sure I heard a blurb somewhere about them losing their leading scorer in the portal.

This is a really good post…for tribalists who weirdly obsess over what a school an hour south and 3 hours east does.

I expected WVU to go really big considering they got a Top 5 transfer for free and considering how much they spent last year. I did say when they lost Huggy, Toussaint, and Mitchell, that they shouldnt pay their #1 transfer class and save the money for the following year. Instead they suffered through a terrible season where their Big 3 only played a few games together and now they must not have any money to spend this year. I would guess WVU fans and boosters think they have a shot at the CFP so all in on that?

I expected WVU to go really big considering they got a Top 5 transfer for free and considering how much they spent last year. I did say when they lost Huggy, Toussaint, and Mitchell, that they shouldnt pay their #1 transfer class and save the money for the following year. Instead they suffered through a terrible season where their Big 3 only played a few games together and now they must not have any money to spend this year. I would guess WVU fans and boosters think they have a shot at the CFP so all in on that?
Please go to the sheep board!!! You've been drooling over them for years on here. Do u have a collection of beer cans too???

Do u always create fake addys and reply to them??? Your charade is old and pathetic. Kinda creepy always stocking me for years on here. Go back to morganhole yinzer. H2P!!!
Do you really think I am creating all of these fake poster names? I mean, the dude has even mocked me. He's funny.

At least we play the hoopies so there might be some reason why people would care about them. We typically don't play the nitters in basketball any more. Unlike their football team, the basketball team is completely irrelevant in the Pittsburgh marketplace. Who cares what they are doing?

Guy from Tennessee 1.7 PPG
Nebraska 4.2 PPG
Xavier 2.5 PPG
Illinois-Chicago 7.3 PPG

"Guy from Tennessee" is an intriguing prospect. Freddie Dilione was the second highest paid guy on their roster this year behind Dalton Knecht. He's a guy the Vols really wanted to stick around. He had a plantar fascia tear that bothered him & Barnes never felt comfortable with Dilione on the defensive end.

Reactions: GomerTV
WVU added a Fresno State C who averaged 7 and 5. They seriously arent funding this team next season.

Spoke too soon. They got an honorable mention All-Big 12 guard from Okie St. Averaged 15 and 37% from 3. With him and DeVries, they may be good now.

I just heard that PSU paid a wrestler $400k to return. Wrestling is the 2nd sport at PSU so there is no way their hoops program is paying anyone more than $150k.

Uh, 247Sports has WVU’s transfer portal haul as the 5th best in the country. They already have landed 2 of the Top 10 ranked players in the portal and there are strong rumors they are about to land a 3rd.

Country Roads Trust is doing their 2nd “$1 million May” NIL drive. Last year, the Trust captured over $1m in this May drive. My guess is they do it again this month

Uh, 247Sports has WVU’s transfer portal haul as the 5th best in the country. They already have landed 2 of the Top 10 ranked players in the portal and there are strong rumors they are about to land a 3rd.

Country Roads Trust is doing their 2nd “$1 million May” NIL drive. Last year, the Trust captured over $1m in this May drive. My guess is they do it again this month

DeVries and the Okie State dude are good. The rest are straight up garbage. And the one guy you got for free. I am thinking you arent spending on hoops this year.

DeVries and the Okie State dude are good. The rest are straight up garbage. And the one guy you got for free. I am thinking you arent spending on hoops this year.
You’re nuts. You must be forgetting they also got a point guard and power forward from the University of Illinois that are FAR from garbage. Let’s see, 247Sports says WVU has a Top 5 portal haul and SMF says it’s garbage. Wonder who I should believe???……

You’re nuts. You must be forgetting they also got a point guard and power forward from the University of Illinois that are FAR from garbage. Let’s see, 247Sports says WVU has a Top 5 portal haul and SMF says it’s garbage. Wonder who I should believe???……

The one averaged 2 PPG. The other was redshirted, not due to injury, but because he wasn't going to help the team this season. I get that Illinois was good but the dudes barely got in the games. I dont care what 247 says. You have 2 legit P5 players at the moment. The Illinois ballboys may end up being good but based on how little they got to play there, they are very low-rated transfers. If Pitt took those dudes, we'd be bashing the staff.

Last edited:
They averaged like 2 PPG. I get that Illinois was good but the dudes barely got in the games. I dont care what 247 says. You have 2 legit P5 players at the moment. The jury is out on the Illinois ballboys.
Sincere Harris redshirted this past season due to an injury, but played in all 33 games the year before on a Top 10 Illinois team and started in 7 of those games. And Hansberry was a 4 Star recruit coming out of high school with offers from Kansas, Miami, Oklahoma, etc. .

Pitt would be happy to have such garbage.

Sincere Harris redshirted this past season due to an injury, but played in all 33 games the year before on a Top 10 Illinois team and started in 7 of those games. And Hansberry was a 4 Star recruit coming out of high school with offers from Kansas, Miami, Oklahoma, etc. .

Pitt would be happy to have such garbage.

Wrong answer.

Harris redshirted because he wasn't going to get minutes. Nowhere does it say anything about an injury. There is the coachspeak of "he needs to get stronger." Translation: you aint gonna play so redshirt.

And Hansberry may very well be a bum. I dont care what he's ranked. The guy played 40 minutes total from February 17 on. He's young so maybe he improves but there is the chance, you know, that he totally sucks. Was it you or someone else telling me Akok was better than Fede? Fede had a bad year and we cut him but he's light years better than Akok. I know college basketball.

You guys are getting the equivalent of our Will Jeffress and saying "he was a Top recruit out of HS." Yea, and? Your Illinois ballboys couldn't get on the court. They arent proven P5 material. Okie dude and Devries are. You have 2. We have a team full. I thought you'd do better in the portal but its not looking that way. Everything going to football.

Apparently he was considering UFC so he might have actually had some leverage. Paying a wrestler that kind of money shows where the priorities are at Penn State.

If some boosters paid a wrestler 400K to return, that is really really sick. Penn State was going to win the NC with or without him. Heck, whoever replaced him would probably win the NC. PSU wrestling is so dominant that if it were 1 team and the rest of the NCAA was on another team, it still might win a Natty. In the 10 championship matches, 6 featured a PSU wrestler and they won 4 of them. So, yea. PSU won 4. The NCAA won 6. They dont need that Starocci dude. If I was the bball coach, I'd be highly pissed that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel when wrestling is paying a guy to stay who is irrelevant to their guaranteed national championship.

Wrong answer.

Harris redshirted because he wasn't going to get minutes. Nowhere does it say anything about an injury. There is the coachspeak of "he needs to get stronger." Translation: you aint gonna play so redshirt.

And Hansberry may very well be a bum. I dont care what he's ranked. The guy played 40 minutes total from February 17 on. He's young so maybe he improves but there is the chance, you know, that he totally sucks. Was it you or someone else telling me Akok was better than Fede? Fede had a bad year and we cut him but he's light years better than Akok. I know college basketball.

You guys are getting the equivalent of our Will Jeffress and saying "he was a Top recruit out of HS." Yea, and? Your Illinois ballboys couldn't get on the court. They arent proven P5 material. Okie dude and Devries are. You have 2. We have a team full. I thought you'd do better in the portal but its not looking that way. Everything going to football.
Funny how you parse things to fit your misguided narrative. Why omit that the kid played in all 33 games and started in 7 of those games for Illinois. How does that jive with your original comment "barely got in games"?? I would wait for your answer, but I'm tired of such a worthless dialogue. It's obvious you can't stand the fact that WVU is once again out-recruiting Pitt

Funny how you parse things to fit your misguided narrative. Why omit that the kid played in all 33 games and started in 7 of those games for Illinois. How does that jive with your original comment "barely got in games"?? I would wait for your answer, but I'm tired of such a worthless dialogue. It's obvious you can't stand the fact that WVU is once again out-recruiting Pitt

Yes, he did. On an Illinois team which wasnt as good as this year's team. Listen, this isnt very hard. He wasnt going to play much on this year's team so there was a mutual decision to redshirt. Its very rare to see a guy redshirt without an injury. Harris was recruited over and the decision was made to save a year of his eligibility instead of waste it on the bench. I promise you if Underwood thought he was going to help the team, he wouldn't have redshirted. Congratulations on your Illinois ballboys. I know you guys are thrilled you got 2 guys who couldn't crack the lineup. Weird.

You have 2 P5 players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT