ADVERTISEMENT

One Thing Is Certain About Next Years OOC Schedule

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
We have to finish at least 3-1 if we are to have a decent seven or eight win season. even DUuz said recently that last years 1-3 mark backfired in terms of scheduling three power conference schools although the losses to. WVU and CINNCY very winnable games. We must beat either or both Cinncy and WVU and of course avoid upsets against KSU and YSU. And without really knowing who is gonna lineup for Pitt, WVU or UC with all the movement of players its anyones guess. In fact I can’t even recall starting the season 4-0 with the dumb scheduling model we seem to use.if we start out 2-2 it could be another bowl less season which will set the program behind again.

This program is cursed when it comes to OOC games. Outside of the one game COVID year I believe we haven’t had a undefeated OOC schedule going on 30 plus years now. In fact, historians on the board, have we ever gone undefeated OOC since joining a conference?

We couldn’t even do it in 2021 when the schedule wasn’t crazy and we took care of the “big game” vs Tennessee. Narduzzi and his brain trust on defense couldn’t figure out how to stop slant passes against Western Michigan.

You are absolutely right though. It has to be a minimum of a 3-1 start if this team wants to have a decent year. In reality, it should be 4-0. Cinci was a P5 school by association only last year and we get WVU at home.

There will probably be something though. We will hear that the players are having trouble picking up the offense if we lose to KSU. The kicker will hit a personal best 60 yard field goal at the end of the game if we lose to Cinci. The scary Mountaineers were just too much to overcome coming off their incredible 9-4 season if we lose that game. It just goes on and on.

Hope springs eternal though…. I guess.

H2P

Last edited:
This program is cursed when it comes to OOC games. Outside of the one game COVID year I believe we haven’t had a undefeated OOC schedule going on 30 plus years now. In fact, historians on the board, have we ever gone undefeated OOC since joining a conference?

We couldn’t even do it in 2021 when the schedule wasn’t crazy and we took care of the “big game” vs Tennessee. Narduzzi and his brain trust on defense couldn’t figure out how to stop slant passes against Western Michigan.

You are absolutely right though. It has to be a minimum of a 3-1 if this team wants to have a decent year. In reality, it should be 4-0. Cinci was a P5 school by association only last year and we get WVU at home.

There will be probably something though. We will hear that the players are having trouble picking up the offense if we lose to KSU. The kicker will hit a personal best 60 yard field goal at the end of the game if we lose to Cinci. The scary Mountaineers were just too much to overcome coming off their incredible 9-4 season if we lose that game. It just goes on and on.

Hope springs eternal though…. I guess.

H2P

No. We have never gone unbeated in OOC play which is an incredible stat. My guess is we are the only P5 team that can say that. Part of the reason Pitt football never has any buzz is because we are never 4-0, 5-0, 6-0.

No. We have never gone unbeated in OOC play which is an incredible stat. My guess is we are the only P5 team that can say that. Part of the reason Pitt football never has any buzz is because we are never 4-0, 5-0, 6-0.

I think it was like us, Vanderbilt, and Indiana as of a few years ago. Something like that. But it truly is incredible, especially considering we got taken down by a MAC team in a season when we had something close to a playoff team and almost half our starters got drafted - including three in the first round.

Edit: Looks like Indiana did it in 2019, so you can take them off the list.

Last edited:
last years 1-3 mark backfired in terms of scheduling three power conference schools although the losses to. WVU and CINNCY very winnable games.

That's the real issue. It's not that scheduling teams like the 2023 versions of Cincinnati and West Virginia were really tough games that you need a big upset to win. It's that you scheduled two teams that turned out to be as crappy as Cincinnati and West Virginia did, and you still couldn't beat them.

If we are going to be a contender in ACC we should go 4-0. UC and WVU are middle of pack in Big 12 at best. You’ve got to beat those teams in and out of conference. They are not more talented than Pitt.

But, we’ve consistently shown we can’t seem to go 4-0 in ooc. So my realistic expectation is 3-1.

Reactions: MajorMajors
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT