ADVERTISEMENT

Did Pitt schedule tough enough OOC?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Everyone plays a tournament and an SEC Challenge game. Pitt scheduled 1 other game which was supposed to be a good resume-builder (WVU). Here's who other teams have scheduled in addition to their tournament and SEC Challenge

Clemson: Boise, South Carolina, TCU, Memphis. Their tournament was a bit weaker though with UAB and Davidson. But they seemed to over-correct last year's weak schedule which kept them out

UVa: Florida, Memphis

Miami: UCF (B12 now), Colorado

VT: just South Carolina but did have 3 tough games in their tournament

NC State: Ten

UNC: UK, UConn, OU

Wake: UGa, Rut

Syr: Grown, Oregon

Duke: Az, MSU, Baylor

Pitt: WVU

Pitt and NC State scheduled the least ambitious being that they both only had 2 game tournaments and scheduled only 1 P6 team in addition to their SEC Challenge game. To Pitt's defense, they expected WVU to be very good but I dont think that excuses them from scheduling a 2nd P6 game. They had to realize that a L vs Florida and W vs a bad Oregon St team were a good possibility. And Mizzou didnt look good preseason and still doesnt. So that possible W wasnt going to do much. They needed another game vs like a Cincinnati or Northwestern type. Given the fact that they BARELY made it at 14-6, I'm not sure why they wanted to put so much pressure on themselves to need to run through the ACC to make it again. The ACC isnt very good but its hard to win 13 or 14 of the 20 games. Road games are hard and there's some guaranteed losses built in. Honestly, the way NET is, I'd probably only schedule 2 cupcakes: the season-opener and the after Finals game. Play 9 P6s OOC then your 20 ACC games. Go 17-14 and you're in.

Everyone plays a tournament and an SEC Challenge game. Pitt scheduled 1 other game which was supposed to be a good resume-builder (WVU). Here's who other teams have scheduled in addition to their tournament and SEC Challenge

Clemson: Boise, South Carolina, TCU, Memphis. Their tournament was a bit weaker though with UAB and Davidson. But they seemed to over-correct last year's weak schedule which kept them out

UVa: Florida, Memphis

Miami: UCF (B12 now), Colorado

VT: just South Carolina but did have 3 tough games in their tournament

NC State: Ten

UNC: UK, UConn, OU

Wake: UGa, Rut

Syr: Grown, Oregon

Duke: Az, MSU, Baylor

Pitt: WVU

Pitt and NC State scheduled the least ambitious being that they both only had 2 game tournaments and scheduled only 1 P6 team in addition to their SEC Challenge game. To Pitt's defense, they expected WVU to be very good but I dont think that excuses them from scheduling a 2nd P6 game. They had to realize that a L vs Florida and W vs a bad Oregon St team were a good possibility. And Mizzou didnt look good preseason and still doesnt. So that possible W wasnt going to do much. They needed another game vs like a Cincinnati or Northwestern type. Given the fact that they BARELY made it at 14-6, I'm not sure why they wanted to put so much pressure on themselves to need to run through the ACC to make it again. The ACC isnt very good but its hard to win 13 or 14 of the 20 games. Road games are hard and there's some guaranteed losses built in. Honestly, the way NET is, I'd probably only schedule 2 cupcakes: the season-opener and the after Finals game. Play 9 P6s OOC then your 20 ACC games. Go 17-14 and you're in.
Except our NET is actually really, really good all things considered. We just didn’t win the Mizzou game, which to me is the one that hurts.

I get it, you’ve posted 7,500 times about how the season is over and blah, blah, blah. We get it. The horse is beyond dead.

I’m just going to enjoy the games, the freshman guards, and maybe an all-time season from Hinson. If we go 12-8 and miss out…oh well. It’s not the end of the world. I’m not even sure we will win 12 games, we have to show we can beat someone with a pulse first. I would say winning the next 3 Fort Wayne, @Cuse, UNC would put us in really, really good shape and kind of reset everything.

Not sure, time will tell. What I'm really not sure about is how you have the time and energy to post so frequently. A lot of folks scoff, but I'm kind of amazed. How do you pack so much trivia into your brain?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT