ADVERTISEMENT

OSU 36 Pitt 0

jctrack

Scholarship
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2010
? for any wrestling experts? Program breaker, or is OSU that good?

Neither. OSU is good, but is just mediocre as we have been for years. There is and has been a huge difference between the top teams(1-8 ranked) and the rest of the NCAA teams. Pitt would be lucky to win one match against either Iowa or PSU also. Being ranked in top 20 of wrestling is nothing. There are not that many schools that take wrestling somewhat seriously. Only around 50 or so schools really try at all. Thus being ranked # 20 is only being in the top 40% of NCAA schools.

Reactions: mike412
Thanks, Thom. Up here in NW PA, wrestling is big and many Pitt fans would like wrestling to do well.

I attended the match today.

Oklahoma State is one of the best teams in the country ..... Pitt is not at their level.

Maybe 4 of the 10 matches were relatively competitive and OSU won all of them ...... the other 6 were easy wins for OSU.

Pitt had 3 of their 10 wrestlers ranked in the top 20 nationally, only one in the top 15 ...... OSU on the other hand had 8 of their 10 wrestlers ranked in the top 19 and 6 of them were ranked in the top 7, 3 in the top 3, and 2 were ranked #1 in the country..... their 165 lb wrestler is a defending national champion, I think ..... OSU is at another level compared to us.

By the way, there was a pretty good crowd there for today's match ...... maybe 3000.

I attended the match today.

Oklahoma State is one of the best teams in the country ..... Pitt is not at their level.

Maybe 4 of the 10 matches were relatively competitive and OSU won all of them ...... the other 6 were easy wins for OSU.

Pitt had 3 of their 10 wrestlers ranked in the top 20 nationally, only one in the top 15 ...... OSU on the other hand had 8 of their 10 wrestlers ranked in the top 19 and 6 of them were ranked in the top 7, 3 in the top 3, and 2 were ranked #1 in the country..... their 165 lb wrestler is a defending national champion, I think ..... OSU is at another level compared to us.

By the way, there was a pretty good crowd there for today's match ...... maybe 3000.

Deringer(165) is two time defending champ and maybe the best in NCAA this year.

Deringer(165) is two time defending champ and maybe the best in NCAA this year.

Yeah, he is really strong ...... took Weircioch down straight to his back for a pin in 24 seconds of the match.

Big to do on Fifth and Forbes page about soccer program spending big time money to improve, time for Barney to get big money for a big time coach for a program that is in arguably the HS wrestling hot bed in the nation, yet can get nary a sniff from any of the "big" time recruits in the area.

Reactions: mike412
Big to do on Fifth and Forbes page about soccer program spending big time money to improve, time for Barney to get big money for a big time coach for a program that is in arguably the HS wrestling hot bed in the nation, yet can get nary a sniff from any of the "big" time recruits in the area.

Don't get me started. When I think of that I start looking for sharp objects.

Reactions: jctrack and mike412
PSU has two freshmen ranked #1 in their weight classes. Ohio State won the NCAAs last year on the backs of 3 freshmen. You can turn wrestling around faster than any other sport. Barnes needs to realize that.

Against Duke, which has been the doormat of the ACC, they won 5 matches; we won 4. We won only because they don't have a 125 pounder and the forfeit was worth 6 points for Pitt, the margin of victory. They lost two 125 pounders to injuries and have forfeited 4 straight matches at that weight.

NC State brought in a new coach 3 years ago and now is ranked #3 nationally. VT is #5. We will be underdogs in every remaining ACC match this year and are projected to finish last in the ACC tourney.

This is Peters' 3rd year. Compare it to the NC State coach who came from Binghampton and took over a program with zero tradition in a state with minimal HS wrestling. Pitt wrestling needs support from the AD and it needs a new coach. Soon.

Reactions: rc79 and persp
Pennsylvania is kind of like Texas in the Wrestling . There are a lot of talented wrestlers in Pa and it's a shame Pitt can't get very many top kids . There needs to either have a coaching change or get the current one to start getting results.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT