ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone reading something good?

USN_Panther

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2001
Just finished The Battle of the beams by Tom Whipple. Interesting book on the race to develop radar for air defence and aerial targeting for bombing raids in early WW2. It focuses on Britain and Germany.

I enjoy reading history and science non-fiction. I've read so many fishing and gardening books that I am completely burned out on them.

So throw out some book recommendations! We can hold Pantherlair Book Club right after Pantherlair Fight Club.

Yes! The return of the Panther Lair Book Club!

Currently wrapping up Colson Whitehead's Crook's Manifesto. Excellent book. Also just starting Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead. Good so far.

Reactions: USN_Panther
started a grisham book, boys of biloxi. it's ok.

i used to love his books then got tired of them about 15 years ago, not sure where i found this one but am giving it a shot.

Yes! The return of the Panther Lair Book Club!

Currently wrapping up Colson Whitehead's Crook's Manifesto. Excellent book. Also just starting Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead. Good so far.
Just looked those up. Might get Demon Copperhead.

Reactions: Ski11585
I am reading "The Splendid and the Vile," by Erik Larson. It is the story of Churchill's first year as Prime Minister, from Dunkirk through the Battle of Britain, focusing on the daily life of him and his family.

The Last Folk Hero

Critics are calling this one the best book ever written about Bo Jackson

Interviews with baseball scouts. Unanimous opinions that Bo would have been the first player taken in the MLB draft if he didn't sign with Auburn

Lots of interviews with kids from his high school days that he ran over. Pretty funny stuff.

Really solid read.

I'm an action fiction reader. I'm just finishing Warlord by Ted Bell. I've read 6 of his books in the past. Now I'll rotate through David Baldacci (21 read), Andrew Britton (3 read), Lee Child (23 read), Harlan Coben (21 read), Brad Meltzer (8 read), Christopher Reich (6 read), John Sandford (37 read), and Daniel Silva (14 read).

Just finished The Battle of the beams by Tom Whipple. Interesting book on the race to develop radar for air defence and aerial targeting for bombing raids in early WW2. It focuses on Britain and Germany.

I enjoy reading history and science non-fiction. I've read so many fishing and gardening books that I am completely burned out on them.

So throw out some book recommendations! We can hold Pantherlair Book Club right after Pantherlair Fight Club.
Second World War by Antony Beevor. Start to finish coverage. Incredible insights. Does not hold back from a lot of the heinous and cruel acts of all of the factions.

I'm an action fiction reader. I'm just finishing Warlord by Ted Bell. I've read 6 of his books in the past. Now I'll rotate through David Baldacci (21 read), Andrew Britton (3 read), Lee Child (23 read), Harlan Coben (21 read), Brad Meltzer (8 read), Christopher Reich (6 read), John Sandford (37 read), and Daniel Silva (14 read).
James Lee Burke?

I happen to like American history. Just finished Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. Story of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Amazing account of what they went through. Another book I read a while ago is Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis. It's a series of stories about some of the founding fathers tribulations. Really explains just how fragile this country was at it's inception.

Invisible Storm: A Soldier's Memoir of Politics and PTSD.

It's well done. Somehow the opening scene will make you laugh.

You guys can read? Would not have guessed based on most of the posts here.

I usually stick to fiction. Just finished Dennis Lehane's Small Mercies ( will definitely get picked up as a movie) and started I, Ripper by Stephen Hunter. Can't go wrong with anything from either of them.

Been reading a lot of Jeffrey Archer. Smart man. Lots of detail…..Nothing Ventured is the one I just picked up at the library..

along the lines of historical fiction from ww2... The Little Liar by Mitch Albom. Not to give much away but it deals with the fate of Greek Jews and a young boy dealing with his actions later in life. "Truth" narrates. Good stuff.

Man, with my cutback on air travel, my reading has gone way down. I am reading some food novel about someone moving throughout the US and working with chefs, but I forget. I just finished Dumb Money about the GameStop stock fiasco I just heard about a book coming out that I want to get but now forget its name/subject.

Road of Bones - Christopher Golden
Death on Devils Teeth ( true crime) Jesse Pollak
Night -Ellie Wiesel
Ill Will -Dan Chaon
Mindhunter-John Douglas
The Witch Elm-Tana French

If you like reading history, I've found A World Undone and A World Remade by G.J. Meyer to be fascinating and easy to read, though long. They're about the events leading up to and through WWI and then the same for WWII. Also, Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne about the rise and fall of the Comanches.

Take a peak at "Under The Bleachers" by Seymour Butts.

Second World War by Antony Beevor. Start to finish coverage. Incredible insights. Does not hold back from a lot of the heinous and cruel acts of all of the factions.

I’ll have to check that one out. I’m a history teacher and am also obsessed with the WWII era. Just finished Inferno by Max Hastings, and it is the best single volume book in the war that I’ve read yet. Just need something a little bit lighter first, lol

I’ll have to check that one out. I’m a history teacher and am also obsessed with the WWII era. Just finished Inferno by Max Hastings, and it is the best single volume book in the war that I’ve read yet. Just need something a little bit lighter first, lol
Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose is a good read. Gives the soldiers' perspective from both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT