ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BBQ in Western PA

Yeah I have Aaron Franklin's book. He's a complete BBQ geek.
Great book but you have to adapt to your equipment which will be different than the big smokers he has on site. That’s in addition the variability of the meat and wood. There may also be stuff left out in the book. Like that mad scientist bbq guy on YouTube has talked about if Franklin uses beef fat when wrapping the briskets.

I’m kind of surprised to hear that. I’ve been to Franklins and few other Texas places and nobody comes close to replicating their brisket or ribs up here. Best BBQ I’ve had. Now for sure you may prefer a different style to Texas. Just depends on what you like.

At Franklins they told me how they buy meat from a specific ranch with the cows raised to Mr Franklins requirements. They just take it so seriously down there that its tough to replicate.
I wanted to go there, I really did. But I just couldn't justify waiting in line like that.

Will be making my second trip to KC this summer next week. Itinerary already being formed. The Smokehouse and Jack stack at the top. Meat Mitch also a possibility. No Arthur Bryant’s this time. It’s not my favorite.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I have eaten there. Had like a sampler platter and the first time I ever had burnt ends. Smoked Sausage is a very underrated BBQ protein.
Going there again next week. Have gone there twice a summer for about 3 years in a row now. I go to the one in Lees Summit. Don’t sleep on the Smokehouse in Independence. Good smoke profiles in the meats.

I maintain that I make better BBQ then many of these establishments, though I will also admit, I am not as consistent, and I sometimes (like 2/3 times out of 10) produce an inferior product.
They cook volume and you cook for yourself. Anytime you can put more time and effort into cooking something it will be better. You also know the flavor profile you like, and have probably adjusted and adapted your process to that.

I find that often times the variability is because of the meat. All briskets aren't created equal and neither are all ribs. Butts are probably the easiest to be consistent with, as I find the cut lends itself to be less variable to quality. Pretty hard to mess up a pork butt.

I've heard you want briskets and ribs that are more flexible when you pick them up. Don't know if it's legit or not, but I'll always check how stiff they are and go for the ones that bend easier.

Will be making my second trip to KC this summer next week. Itinerary already being formed. The Smokehouse and Jack stack at the top. Meat Mitch also a possibility. No Arthur Bryant’s this time. It’s not my favorite.
Hereford House if you want great steak at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Dan1911
I wanted to go there, I really did. But I just couldn't justify waiting in line like that.
It’s definitely a commitment. Particularly on weekends. They do have a pre order option if you can plan it out further in advance.

You can still find other great BBQ in Austin, I just thought Franklins was the best.

Reactions: Mikefln

I know it is a BBQ hub, but I always try and hit Lidia's especially now since the one in Pittsburgh closed.

Reactions: Tucker99
Where is the good BBQ in the greater Pittsburgh region?

I’m talking brisket, pulled pork, smoked turkey, etc. Ribs too, but not an only ribs joint like DeeJays, has to have all the meats.

And before a bunch of people say there is no good BBQ in Western PA, that’s fine, just want to know what’s the best of what we got.
has to have all the meats...You are talking Arby's buddy. Plenty of locations in Western PA...

Reactions: ratking17
We used to go to Wilsons on the North Side. Of course, that was 30 years ago when we lived in Pittsburgh so I have no idea if Wilson's still exists and if it does is it any good?

One thing I remember about Wilson's....if you asked for the really hot BBQ sauce you better be ready with a big glass of milk on the side.

Cruzer

We used to go to Wilsons on the North Side. Of course, that was 30 years ago when we lived in Pittsburgh so I have no idea if Wilson's still exists and if it does is it any good?

One thing I remember about Wilson's....if you asked for the really hot BBQ sauce you better be ready with a big glass of milk on the side.

Cruzer

Good call. They just re-opened last year.

Good call. They just re-opened last year.

Thanks for the heads up and the article. Next time I'm back in Pittsburgh I'll definitely check it out. If it's half as good as the original it's worth a try.

Cruzer

Reactions: joeydavid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT