ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beatles “Eight Days A Week” Documentary By Ron Howard

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Just recently premiered on Hulu. Really excellent documentary covering the Beatles’ touring years.

No matter what he does, Ron Howard generally does it very well. He combines interviews with archival footage to produce a compelling look at the Beatles focused on the period from their first hit in England in 1963 through their final concert in San Francisco in November 1966. After that concert. George, who always hated touring, said he was finished with it and the group, which always required unanimous votes on major issues, agreed.

As Howard also points out, their best music occurred after they stopped touring and focused on making new studio albums.

I lived through Beatle-mania. I was a senior in HS when they did their first Ed Sullivan show. But, I never realized just how big they were in 1964 and became in the following two years. Howard illustrates how their impact dwarfed that of Elvis, Sinatra or any other musical superstar. He somehow found footage no one else had used and ties it all together beautifully.

I am an admitted documentary lover. I still think “Harvest of Shame” made more than 60 years ago was the pinnacle of television journalism. But, I suspect even those who ordinarily hate documentaries or are indifferent to them will enjoy this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News