ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Beer here!"

In the '70s, Schlitz was like Bud or Coors now, the #1 generic American beer, they even sponsored NFL. Does it even exist anymore?
It's out there but only in certain markets, the brand is owned by Pabst and contracted out to big breweries for production. Pabst does that same thing for Pabst Blue Ribbon, Stroh's, Ballantine, Blatz, Lone Star, Old Milwaukee, Olympia, Schmidt's and a few others, most of them are sold in their traditional markets.

Could ones average palate really truly find distinct differences in any of the light American pilsner beers? A Coors vs Milwaukee Best vs a Pabst vs an Iron City? Etc. I never pretended I could. At some level it's strictly marketing positioning. And how you want to be perceived in what you order or have at a cookout etc.

Reactions: Pitt79
7406.jpg

Reactions: Pitt79
The amount of terrible beer that is consumed in this country is alarming. The Sheetz near me sells so much Keystone Lite that I actually worry for the mental health of my community. But this thread sort of reminds me that self medicating is a tradition in this country.
When I was coming of age in the late 60s the two beers of choice in my neck of the woods were Schmidt's and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I graduated from those to Iron City, which after a year or so actually ruined my taste buds. From there it was Miller High Life which, unbeknownst to me was very strong resulting in many sleep past noon Saturdays. I finally settled on Miller Lite when it came out in the mid 70s and I've stuck with it ever since.

When I was coming of age in the late 60s the two beers of choice in my neck of the woods were Schmidt's and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I graduated from those to Iron City, which after a year or so actually ruined my taste buds. From there it was Miller High Life which, unbeknownst to me was very strong resulting in many sleep past noon Saturdays. I finally settled on Miller Lite when it came out in the mid 70s and I've stuck with it ever since.
I was a Miller Lite guy too.
Remember when it was launched 1975?
A beer innovation!
A lite beer.
IAfter Miller Lite launched nationally in January 1975, other brands followed : Anheuser-Busch launched Natural Light in 1977; Michelob Light in 1979; and Budweiser Light, today known as Bud Light, in 1982. Coors introduced Coors Light in 1978. The rest is homogeneous history. But one thing MillerCoors conveniently leaves out of its history is, well, Miller.

It would sell out of liquor stores quick and in the beginning it was hard to find until Miller discovered they had a big winner.
I still Miller Lite, Michelob Ultra, Yuengling, Corona, and Land Shark.

A beer innovation!
A lite beer.
IAfter Miller Lite launched nationally in January 1975, other brands followed : Anheuser-Busch launched Natural Light in 1977; Michelob Light in 1979; and Budweiser Light, today known as Bud Light, in 1982. Coors introduced Coors Light in 1978. The rest is homogeneous history. But one thing MillerCoors conveniently leaves out of its history is, well, Miller.

It would sell out of liquor stores quick and in the beginning it was hard to find until Miller discovered they had a big winner.
I still Miller Lite, Michelob Ultra, Yuengling, Corona, and Land Shark.
Yep. I took to that beer the first time I drank it in spite of being called a wuss and other things by my buddies.

A beer innovation!
A lite beer.
IAfter Miller Lite launched nationally in January 1975, other brands followed : Anheuser-Busch launched Natural Light in 1977; Michelob Light in 1979; and Budweiser Light, today known as Bud Light, in 1982. Coors introduced Coors Light in 1978.

Coors and Coors Light weren't available in the east until '86 or '87.

I'm surprised no one posted this "little bueaty."
Lightning in a bottle back in the 70's.
fyi this is the quart size which was the most popular.
You could buy 4 qts for ------ , I forget but it wasn't much.
It had a bitter taste but after 2 qts no one noticed the taste??
You could locate Ballantine empties behind bars, in allies, outside the dorms, frats, and sororities.

It had a side effect.
You might wake up roll over and say who are you two, what are your names and how did both of you get here?
Short Term Memory loss!

ballantinebottle.jpg
[/QUOTE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT