ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ben interview on WDVE

A lot of people making a character assassination of Ben on here but you might as well do it for a ton of steelers and pro athletes.
You are right and I dislike all the criminals and jerks. I think it creates for a weird dynamic. I will root for Ben, AB, Lev Bell, James Harrison, etc. on game day. Just because they are jerks doesn't mean they don't deserve to make a living and the Steelers are a business so I can understand the Steelers employing them. But off the field, I don't care what happens to them nor care to listen to them speak. Bell's career goes in the toilet? Yeah, don't care, tough luck. I don't root for bad things to happen to them, but nor do I care either way.

And people like the above make you appreciate the Troy P, Cam Heyward, Heath Miller, etc. types more. Those guys I do wish the best for and am happy when they got a new contract or Pro Bowl bid or whatever. I would listen to Ramon Foster's show, for instance, because he had intelligent, thoughtful things to share. Ben doesn't ever speak publicly without inflating his own ego in some way.

Me too! But because they let him go. So you're saying you didn't like him before he left the Pirates? Can you explain why? 1988-1993 was really the last decent era of Pirates baseball, losing Bonds was kind of the end of Pirates baseball IMO.
I was sitting in left field one game, and he really didn’t want to be there. He might have been having a bad day, but it was enough for me to walk away. He was miserable. Never looked back.

IMO it is pretty silly to try to gauge degree of like/ dislike for a sports figure, but to me the most telling item is the near total lack of commercials that have included BR, particularly after “the troubles” emerged last decade. Talk by fans and especially anonymous message boards posters is cheap; much louder is the evidence that companies that have to put their brands on the line to sell their product have overwhelmingly chosen not to have ever employed BR. In fact I’m not sure I can even think of an elite QB, who has played as long as he did, with multiple championships for one of the most prominent sports franchises in America, getting as few endorsement deals as he has.
They sure did cancel him for endorsements after then. It will be interesting to see what they do with DeSean Watson, I'm betting he still will eventually get endorsements, because of his race.

I was sitting in left field one game, and he really didn’t want to be there. He might have been having a bad day, but it was enough for me to walk away. He was miserable. Never looked back.
OK? I don't really get it, but thanks. So he was having a bad day and showing it? So what?

They sure did cancel him for endorsements after then. It will be interesting to see what they do with DeSean Watson, I'm betting he still will eventually get endorsements, because of his race.
Even Brady gets a lot more endorsements and he’s a proven cheater (multiple times over!).

Geez, even Kapernick gets a huge Nike deal and likely no sports figure is more hated by at least half the population. Yet Ben can’t even get CoGos commercials.

OK? I don't really get it, but thanks. So he was having a bad day and showing it? So what?
You don’t have to agree with me, but play nice. I still think he was and is a Dickwad, and still do. You didn’t agree. That’s ok.

You don’t have to agree with me, but play nice. I still think he was and is a Dickwad, and still do. You didn’t agree. That’s ok.
I tend to not think too much about people I don't know personally. I've known people that seemed like dikwads, until I got to know them.

Reactions: Pitt1975
I never understood what "CLASS" means, DEFINE IN GREAT DETAIL?
The dictionary defines class as used this way as "the best of its kind", by its nature the word is not detailed, simply implies good, best. In this case "no class" simply means not near/like the best of people. It is not that hard to understand.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
The dictionary defines class as used this way as "the best of its kind", by its nature the word is not detailed, simply implies good, best. In this case "no class" simply means not near/like the best of people. It is not that hard to understand.
But really it's just kind of an opinion, you could but 10 people in front of 100 and ask the 100, ""who has class out of these 10?" and the opinions would probably wildly vary, it's not something definable.

A lot of people making a character assassination of Ben on here but you might as well do it for a ton of steelers and pro athletes.
I can speak to when Ben was younger because I had a few casual encounters and my girlfriend (now wife) at the time was friend’s with Willie Colon’s girlfriend. Willie was a down to earth guy. Ben was an arrogant a-hole to kids at signings and out in public. The whole situation in GA tops all of them. On the other hand, Charlie Batch was a nice guy in person. The big OG - Kemoautu also was trying to hit on my current wife (before I knew her) and literally picked her up as he was hammered and Willie had to tell him to put her down. The guy was straight nuts from what my wife said. I could also speak to a certain OLB back in the day who was cheating on his wife with a girl I knew at the time. Kordell Stewart was not gay because he used to always hit on a girl I knew who worked at a local dealership. Jagr was a first class jerk because he tried to force himself onto my wife and her friends (prior to when we were married), but she also said some other guys that played for the Pens who were with him told him to back off, so in their case they were good guys. Townsend and Ward used to make it rain in the club and sometimes hit up the After Hours club we went too. I have a few more involving Jack Lambert and Rocky Bleier, but will stop there.

Last edited:
I can speak to when Ben was younger because I had a few casual encounters and my girlfriend (now wife) at the time was friend’s with Willie Colon’s girlfriend. Willie was a down to earth guy. Ben was an arrogant a-hole to kids at signings and out in public. The whole situation in GA tops all of them. On the other hand, Charlie Batch was a nice guy in person. The big OG - Kemoautu also was trying to hit on my current wife (before I knew her) and literally picked her up as he was hammered and Willie had to tell him to put her down. The guy was straight nuts from what my wife said. I could also speak to a certain OLB back in the day who was cheating on his wife with a girl I knew at the time. Kordell Stewart was not gay because he used to always hit on a girl I knew who worked at a local dealership. Jagr was a first class jerk because he tried to force himself onto my wife and her friends (prior to when we were married), but she also said some other guys that played for the Pens who were with him told him to back off, so in their case they were good guys. Townsend and Ward used to make it rain in the club and sometimes hit up the After Hours club we went too. I have a few more involving Jack Lambert and Rocky Bleier, but will stop there.
The takeaway I get from that post is that you seem to have out kicked your coverage.😉. Good for you.

• Haha
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
But really it's just kind of an opinion
Yes, no doubt. From reading your posts on the matter you define "best of" as what brings pleasure to you for the moment. But you're not alone of course, prostitution is a lucrative business, always has been.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BTisinDC
Yet Ben can’t even get CoGos commercials.
Big%20Bens%20Mild%20BBQ%20Sauce%2018oz.png

• Wow
Reactions: FireballZ
People have to distinguish between being accused of sexual assault (or any crime really). And actually getting charged for it and prosecuted. Yes he has privileges most would not have, and I really think there would be no chance in hades of him getting charged in Pittsburgh in his prime (indeed, the arresting officers would likely end up next to the Center County DA wherever his offal has been disposed). But both of Ben’s accused transgressions occurred in places far from Pgh where they aren’t Steelers fans in the least. And the accusations ultimately couldn’t stand up enough for him to get charged.

Did Rooney money get liberally distributed in those locales to prevent that? It well could have. But many here scoff at my assertion that college recruits are getting payola, so I reserve the same right to be dubious. I think if there were decent grounds to nail him in those locales, at least one of them would have taken it to the hoop criminally . Remember that the Steelers are popular but are also one of the most DISliked teams nationally. Georgia and Cali (or was it Nevada?) authorities and DAs aren’t likely to be Steelers fans. Unless ALL were happy to take bribes to pressure the women involved not to press charges…or whatever…it just seems not that likely.

That said he admitted himself he was a pig in his earlier days. He almost surely acted like a creep with these ladies. Lots and lots of guys are, especially wealthy athletes do the same, sadly, every single day. I don’t admire ANY of them but I don’t have justification to hate this guy MORE. I also wish Pitt’s best basketball player wasnt a car thief either, but he’s more guilty of that crime in the legal sense than Ben. So what is the right approach there?

They were paid off to avoid sending a rapist to prison. It's an unfortunate "end of story".

All those guys are NORMAL then, because they want to get laid.

So how did your wife and all her girl friends know all those guys? Where they like groupies chasing after rich athletes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Yes, no doubt. From reading your posts on the matter you define "best of" as what brings pleasure to you for the moment. But you're not alone of course, prostitution is a lucrative business, always has been.
Prostitution? I'm not getting paid anything. Lot's of times I look at the people that are deemed as classy and I see a pompous ass, personally I like be around a really yinzer Yinzer, it's more FUN. I never said Ben has class, but I'd rather have a mean, criminal hall of famer JERK JAGOFF QB-if that's what he is, than a mediocre nice guy, makes MY TV SHOW better.

So you're saying that I'm a prostitute?
Man, did you go to college?
You said "I'm not getting paid anything" .....the prostitutes get paid, not the "johns" so I say "You got that backwards", meaning your goal of pleasing your self for the moment, without regard to right ,wrong, morals etc. is akin to a john (not a prostitute)

what is going on with this thread? pitt79 is a pimp, other poster's wives are groupies getting passed around by any and every pro athlete in the city..

Hey guys, we dont have to share everything here. sometimes less is more with the details..

Mind blowing.

Just mind blowing.

Dude tracked Bettis down at the end of the SB to personally hand him the game ball, but is the worst team mate ever cause ... that is what people want to think.

Not saying he is the best team mate ever, but just because he isn't in the mold of someone who says all the well scripted things all the time doesn't make him a horrible team mate.

He looks a bit oafish and isn't fake, doesn't make him a horrible person.

As others noted, there 100% are FAR worse people in that locker room than Ben.

Mind blowing.

Just mind blowing.

Dude tracked Bettis down at the end of the SB to personally hand him the game ball, but is the worst team mate ever cause ... that is what people want to think.

Not saying he is the best team mate ever, but just because he isn't in the mold of someone who says all the well scripted things all the time doesn't make him a horrible team mate.

well im just a dumb fan and i cant say that my wife was a groupie to any steeler like another poster but with Ben and being a good teammate/leader, he came into a locker room that had such extroardinary leadership already. Guys like Farrior, Bus, Aaron Jones, even Troy who is quieter so there was no need for him to grow into a vocal leader.

I think when these guys started leving, the Kiesels, jones, farriors then there was a space for him to step into that role and from the outside perspective, he never did. I am a ben fan, think he was great but he wasnt that guy that helped the younger players, especially the backup qbs. i dont think you are a hater to say that, i am not a hater by any stretch and that is what it seems to me.

All those guys are NORMAL then, because they want to get laid.

So how did your wife and all her girl friends know all those guys? Where they like groupies chasing after rich athletes?
Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension or just pick and choose what you want to read. She was friends with Willie Colon’s girlfriend. That is why she was around other players. Good looking people usually socialize together. I get it - you can’t relate to this. Sometimes Neanderthals like yourself, Kemeotu, Ben, and Jagr think they can just go up to girls and do whatever they want. Attractive girls have to deal with this nonsense. So what you said makes absolutely no sense because her friend was dating Willie and my wife is the opposite of a groupie because she married a normal guy like myself. As we started dating, I went to a few get togethers and talked to Willie and Charlie Batch in person. They were nice guys. Not everyone is a loser like yourself. You’re probably like Bill Cosby and have to drug girls to get laid.

Last edited:
Man, did you go to college?
You said "I'm not getting paid anything" .....the prostitutes get paid, not the "johns" so I say "You got that backwards", meaning your goal of pleasing your self for the moment, without regard to right ,wrong, morals etc. is akin to a john (not a prostitute)
So I suppose you stop watching Sports, TV Shows or movies you like when there are bad people playing, or the actors turn out to be LIKE BEN or you stop listening to music you like if the artist is LIKE BEN? Or do you keep watching and listening with the goal of pleasing your self for the moment, without regard to right ,wrong, morals etc. There wouldn't be much left to watch or listen to if you had to cross everything with not so good participants off the list? And I don't really get the hate for Ben, yeah, he's been a jerk, who hasn't, yeah he did some questionable things in his 20s, who hasn't? But in general, he seems to have become a typical, family man schmuck doing right by who matters most in real life, so I have no reason to hate on him. To be honest, I watch sports, TV shows, movies and listen to music that I like and never even think about what the actual people are like personally, because I don't plan to or want to meet them anyways.

i dont think you are a hater to say that, i am not a hater by any stretch and that is what it seems to me.
I agree, 100%. From the outside Ben seems to have "issues", but like old friends(many of mine) with flaws, the bond of shared experiences, in this case enjoying game days, pulling for the steelers helped to escape the hard days of work in between, keeps one a fan.

Sometimes Neanderthals like yourself, Kemeotu, Ben, and Jagr think they can just go up to girls and do whatever they want.
I never thought that, but I'm sure rich, famous athletes do because women constantly throw themselves at them FOR THE MONEY, then claim it's "love" :) so I can understand them thinking she'll probably give in. Because that's the norm for them. I get it, your wife WAS NOT a groupie, but don't try to pretend they don't exist! I saw a picture of the lobby where the players being drafted stayed in Vegas, the afternoon they arrived there where dozens of hot women in miniskirts waiting! Checking their makeup in the mirrors. Yes, they where there because they cared about the guys personality :)

Mind blowing.

Just mind blowing.

LOL! Ben is as fake as a $3 dollar bill. And you've obviously not been touched personally by his douchiness (is that a word? If not, I just invented it) and fakeness.

LOL! Ben is as fake as a $3 dollar bill. And you've obviously not been touched personally by his douchiness (is that a word? If not, I just invented it) and fakeness.
If he is WHO CARES? He was just a character in my favorite TV, outside those few hours I watched, what he did mattered ZERO to me, so whatever he's like as a person, I never cared, never planned to meet him or hang out with him and still don't, THERE IS NO REASON TO CARE, beyond his gameday performance, and that goes with all players.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
If he is WHO CARES? He was just a character in my favorite TV, outside those few hours I watched, what he did mattered ZERO to me, so whatever he's like as a person, I never cared, never planned to meet him or hang out with him and still don't, THERE IS NO REASON TO CARE, beyond his gameday performance, and that goes with all players.
i think you and i are in the minority here, caring about these guys' performances on the field and not really giving a crap what they do off of it. im with you man and it's weird that adults care about a steeler or penguin being "fake." Lol, who cares, he beats the ravens in the championship game and won super bowls.

just a very weird opinion. it's like the little 8 year old in the rain waiting for his "hero" to sign an autograph and the athlete ignores him and there's little Bobby, sad faced, heart broken, but it's not an 8 year old, it's a grown ass man..

Reactions: Pitt79
This is an example of how much people want to believe what they want to believe.

He is fake as a $3 bill?

How so?

He pretty clearly is who he is, he isn't trying to be someone he isn't.

He just is not what people think he should be - the buttoned up great leader, and ... wait for it ... isn't trying to act like he is. So ... NOT fake.

I was old enough to know enough about Brad, and he was every bit the party guy Ben was in his younger years, and for all the balling around about how Ben didn't work on his game, at least he didn't waste his time and energy trying to be a (really bad) country music and (really bad) actor.

This franchise has had exactly two great QBs, and 6 SB trophies, not coincidentally all of which were brought home with those two as the starting QBs.

But, people got slag on Ben cause he isn't Mark Malone (Classy).

Jesus ...

Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension or just pick and choose what you want to read. She was friends with Willie Colon’s girlfriend. That is why she was around other players. Good looking people usually socialize together. I get it - you can’t relate to this. Sometimes Neanderthals like yourself, Kemeotu, Ben, and Jagr think they can just go up to girls and do whatever they want. Attractive girls have to deal with this nonsense. So what you said makes absolutely no sense because her friend was dating Willie and my wife is the opposite of a groupie because she married a normal guy like myself. As we started dating, I went to a few get togethers and talked to Willie and Charlie Batch in person. They were nice guys. Not everyone is a loser like yourself. You’re probably like Bill Cosby and have to drug girls to get laid.
I am telling you as an absolute certainty, having been around these types of athletes for a time in my younger years ... Yes, Ben was a pig with women in his younger years. But, he was far from the only one in that locker room AND I can guarantee there were worse.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I am telling you as an absolute certainty, having been around these types of athletes for a time in my younger years ... Yes, Ben was a pig with women in his younger years. But, he was far from the only one in that locker room AND I can guarantee there were worse.
James Harrison (who threw his wife through a wall) would like a word…

This is an example of how much people want to believe what they want to believe.

He is fake as a $3 bill?

How so?

He just is not what people think he should be - the buttoned up great leader, and ... wait for it ... isn't trying to act like he is. So ... NOT fake.

I was old enough to know enough about Brad, and he was every bit the party guy Ben was in his younger years, and for all the balling around about how Ben didn't work on his game, at least he didn't waste his time and energy trying to be a (really bad) country music and (really bad) actor.

This franchise has had exactly two great QBs, and 6 SB trophies, not coincidentally all of which were brought home with those two as the starting QBs.

Jesus ...

I've seen his fakeness and being a jerk first hand. Not just by me, also by members of my family and on a personal level. What I'm talking and what you're talking about are 2 different things. Yes, he is who he is. I'm not debating that. Looking at him pointing to the sky during games as a show of his spirituality is as fake as it can get, considering who he is. He really needed to quit that. But now he's not around anymore, so we don't have to put up with him.

i think you and i are in the minority here, caring about these guys' performances on the field and not really giving a crap what they do off of it. im with you man and it's weird that adults care about a steeler or penguin being "fake." Lol, who cares, he beats the ravens in the championship game and won super bowls.

just a very weird opinion. it's like the little 8 year old in the rain waiting for his "hero" to sign an autograph and the athlete ignores him and there's little Bobby, sad faced, heart broken, but it's not an 8 year old, it's a grown ass man..
Seriously, I haven't given a crap where Ben is or what he's doing today since he left my TV SHOW. Same goes for all of them! Hines Ward? haven't thought about him in 10 years! Read last week he's going to be an XFL coach! Great congratulations, outside of that I was never wondering about him all these years, never wondered if he was mean to 8 year olds :)

He is fake as a $3 bill?

How so?

Jesus ...
If a lot of these people dissing Ben now knew about how Bradshaw was, they'd hate him too. Bradshaw was a basket case, dude was mentally weak, couldn't stand Noll being mean to him, he's lucky he stuck it out until the team got good around him, and yeah, he was out partying and spending time NOT WORKING ON HIS QB CRAFT playing country singer and actor wannabe.

If a lot of these people dissing Ben now knew about how Bradshaw was, they'd hate him too. Bradshaw was a basket case, dude was mentally weak, couldn't stand Noll being mean to him, he's lucky he stuck it out until the team got good around him, and yeah, he was out partying and spending time NOT WORKING ON HIS QB CRAFT playing country singer and actor wannabe.
If you lived in the Burgh, you’d hear all the stories still being told to this day about Bradshaw and what a jerk he was. You’d also know all the Bonds stories. Everyday Joes tell the story. And of course you’d know the Ben stories too. The media all like to tell the Bradshaw and Bonds stories. And now that Ben is retired, we will start to hear more from the media guys. I do remember he ticked them all off when they all waited by his locker for a long period of time, and then he ran out of the locker room yelling “I’m not winning no Rooney award this year!!”, which goes to the player who is media friendly. And of course he was never the most popular guy in the locker room with teammates.

the point is, he’s a jerk and everyone knows it. But some people don’t care and that’s fine. And he’s not in your tv show. We get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt79
I do remember he ticked them all off when they all waited by his locker for a long period of time, and then he ran out of the locker room yelling “I’m not winning no Rooney award this year!!”, which goes to the player who is media friendly. And of course he was never the most popular guy in the locker room.
Actually I think that's funny, I might do that if I don't feel like talking, personally, I never tried hard to be "most popular" anywhere, so I can relate to that, I always felt like, if you don't like me as I am, F it, I don't care... unless of course I was trying to get laid :)

It’s a shame we have 2 separate ridiculous threads on Ben with all kinds a crap being thrown around because one guy who obviously has a big time problem with him started both of them. Is he that much of a problem for you FKPitt that you needed to get some online assurance that others think of him the same as you.

The guy’s retired now, We drafted Kenny P and instead of being pumped and talking about that, you’d rather drag the prior guy through the mud. Congrats.

But off the field, I don't care what happens to them nor care to listen to them speak. Bell's career goes in the toilet? Yeah, don't care, tough luck. I don't root for bad things to happen to them, but nor do I care either way.

And people like the above make you appreciate the Troy P, Cam Heyward, Heath Miller, etc. types more. Those guys I do wish the best for and am happy when they got a new contract or Pro Bowl bid or whatever. I would listen to Ramon Foster's show, for instance, because he had intelligent, thoughtful things to share. Ben doesn't ever speak publicly without inflating his own ego in some way.
I don't care what happens to any of them off the field, I don't care to hear them speak, any of them, even the ones you deem as "good"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT