ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best feelings you have experienced playing sport

From reading the OP, I thought he was talking about more of a physical sensation than an emotional moment.

I never felt good after running a race. And I was a sprinter, not a distance runner.
We'll take anything here. Should have titled it "Glory Days".
These are great!
Blowing past someone at the tape must feel great.
I never hit a hole in one. That would be amazing. I guess you would feel that and have some hope after hitting it. Then seeing it go would be fantastic.

I hit a hole in one on a 190 yard par 3 at The Grandover resort in Greensboro.

I was not the least bit excited about it because it was a lucky shot. I hit a horrible slice that came within inches of hitting a tree about half way to the green.

My buddies were ecstatic, and I pretty much shrugged my shoulders.

Reactions: USN_Panther
-12 years old, Munhall little league baseballl Championship game. Extra Innings, tied game. Hot July night. People lining the fence and stands. Snacked a grand slam with 2 outs, full count to win game. Nothing more a twelve year old could ask for.

We'll take anything here. Should have titled it "Glory Days".
These are great!
Blowing past someone at the tape must feel great.
I never hit a hole in one. That would be amazing. I guess you would feel that and have some hope after hitting it. Then seeing it go would be fantastic.
I know someone who’s never had an ace but hit a mulligan tee shot in a scramble that went in. It’s still a cool shot, but it wasn’t a hole in one.

I’ve never had one. Been super close about half a dozen times (twice damaged the hole) and witnessed a handful.

Baseball, hit a game winning double off Neil Walker's brother in little League. I stunk at baseball but got lucky.

Judo, first time I threw someone with my favorite throw (uchimata.) Loud thump, applause.

HS basketball, shut down a great scorer until he got two technical fouls because I am so GD annoying to play. Not really good, just annoying.

I hit a hole in one on a 190 yard par 3 at The Grandover resort in Greensboro.

I was not the least bit excited about it because it was a lucky shot. I hit a horrible slice that came within inches of hitting a tree about half way to the green.

My buddies were ecstatic, and I pretty much shrugged my shoulders.
I had one in 1992. I'm glad I have one, but I don't think getting a second one would be much of a big deal. I just remember thinking that it was a good shot that just happened to find the hole.

But a double eagle would be completely different, I'd be ecstatic. I read somewhere that there are 14,000 aces made for each albatross. You have to hit two long, great shots and the second one has to be perfect. Anyone might luck into one good shot on a par three, but you really have to nail two great shots to make a 2 on a par 5.

Baseball, hit a game winning double off Neil Walker's brother in little League. I stunk at baseball but got lucky.

Judo, first time I threw someone with my favorite throw (uchimata.) Loud thump, applause.

HS basketball, shut down a great scorer until he got two technical fouls because I am so GD annoying to play. Not really good, just annoying.
I hit a game winning grand slam in Little League. Our manager's car was parked beyond the centerfield fence and the ball shattered his windshield. His congratulations were pretty muted.

Mine was crushing a home run to dead center field in the little league all-star game to a guy who I simply couldn't hit against all season ... Struck me out 4 or 5 times that year if I remember correctly . Also . Watching my son destroy one to dead center in his pony league all-star game .. Brought back a fine memory ..

Reactions: HunkyPanther
Mostly golf related:

-3 holes-in one
-3 18-hole rounds below par (-5, -3, and -1)
-Birdieing all four par 5’s in the same round
-Making a double eagle on a Par 5 (it was a scramble; another guy’s drive; my second shot)
-Being part of a triple play in summer league baseball. Had to have been the strangest I’ve ever witnessed or been in. The scorecard would’ve said: 6-9-4-2-5-6

oh, and at Pitt, freshman year, our dorm softball team (Mad House - floors 17-19 in B Tower) won the intramural championship by beating the Delts @ Trees Field. Yours truly had a three-run homer; a gapper that rolled out to well over 400’

1. (Teen) - American Legion baseball went 8-0 as a pitcher, batted near .700, won the local championship, and swept all of the postseason awards.
2. (College) - 20 points in a Pitt intramural BB game.
3. (Retiree) - several gold medals in major pickleball tournaments, but the first was the best.

1. Coming back from 2 shots down with 3 holes to play to win the club championship a few years ago. Just grinding that one out and getting it done is a feeling I'll never forget.

2. My first sub 70 round of golf. This one is a strange feeling because the 69 I shot was satisfying...but I made 8 birdies, including a double bogey on 17, so there is some what-could-have-been in there too.

3. Also golf lol. This was also the best feeling of them all. I entered into a tournament playoff with a rival of mine. We go back to 18 tee and we start talking smack to each other as we always do. After some solid zingers on his part, I respond with "Well, you better back up your talk because I'm making birdie here.".

We both pipe our drives, but I'm out so I'm first to play. This was a two tiered green with the ridge running across the green, making a front and back section, but the putting surface is blind from the fairway. The pin was just past the ridge on the top shelf. I nut my 8 iron and it comes down about 10-12 feet left of the pin. He lines up and hits his shot and it looks even better than mine. It comes down right at the pin and he starts talking smack about that birdie I told him I would make. But, I had noticed that the 20-30 people that gathered on the hill to watch the playoff had clapped and cheered for my shot but not his. Good sign.

We reach the green and one ball is top shelf and the other is lower. I knew which was which. Still, this guy is known for his ability to sink crazy putts under pressure so I was still concerned that he was going to pull one out of his backside. He nearly did. Had it right on line, dead center of the cup but it stopped 3 inches from the hole. Whew.

I have a 12 foot putt uphill and into the grain. I had a similar putt during regular play that was going in, but I left short due to the grain of the green. Knew I could make it if I hit it harder. Still, I was nervous as hell.

I line up over the putt. I'm confident in my line and pace and start my backstroke...but the putter head catches the ground on the way back, causing it to wobble. Somehow, I stop my stroke and back away. My rival starts howling about me struggling under the pressure and I agree but assure him that I'm definitely rolling it in now. I readdress the ball and smoothly run that ball right into the heart of the cup!

Never have I felt such a rush of satisfaction as I did in that moment. It was that moment that you imagine as a kid where everything was on the line -last shot, for the win- and I backed my talk up with exactly what I said I would do. Thrilling, exhilarating, orgasmic, etc. All accurately describe that moment.

In the grand scheme of things, it's inconsequential. But to have a moment in my life where I came through in the clutch and delivered with a great performance is pretty special. I did not and would not Pitt in that situation. Hell yes

persp: You wrote:

2. My first sub 70 round of golf. This one is a strange feeling because the 69 I shot was satisfying...but I made 8 birdies, including a double bogey on 17, so there is some what-could-have-been in there too.

my 2nd sub 70 round had me 6 under going to 17, which was a par 5. At that point I had not had a 5 on my card. I’d birdied the other four par 5’s (5 of them at this course), so the scorecard was littered with 4’s and 3’s and at least one 2. I’m on the green in 3 with a makable but downhill putt for birdie. Just missed. So the first 5 is on the card. 18 was a 415 yd par 4. Was on in 2 but 60+’ from the pin. Three-jacked it. Still finished 5 under but it would’ve been even more special to finish without a bogey or a 5. 7 under was the course record but from the championship tees. I was playing from the next set up. Still gives me some great memories!

Hitting an ace in tennis. When it connects and you just know. Same with hitting a line winner because of the technical skill involved. Doing something your opponent can't stop means you are at the top of your game.

Goalie punted the ball to me. Instead of going up for a header or trapping it, I flicked it off my heel over my head as the defender ran towards me. I heard the oohs in the crowd as I took the breakaway and cashed the check right corner of the net.

Drained a 60 footer in our work scramble and same day driving a long (for me) par 4.

Last edited:
My disclosures are that my football and basketball was high school AAAA back in the 80s, pony league baseball, regional golden gloves level boxing, and adult beer league ice hockey. The feelings may or may not differ based on level, not sure....

1. Left hook knockout punch. You feel this connect in the balls of your feet as the power is transmitted from rotational force. This is a beautiful feeling. A straight right is quicker and the ending more instant so you just don't experience it the same.

2. A home run that you just smash. The mid-barrel of the bat and pulled. Once again you feel that down in the balls of your feet.

3. These plays are now called targeting. Just launching and destroying a receiver coming across the middle. My favourite hit ever in FB was a block. I was WR and was wide open deep. The QB hit our huge TE over the middle who was being chased by a LB. I turned back upfield to block. As the TE turned upfield towards the end zone, the LB had no idea I was coming and he was absolutely KTFO near our bench. I stood over him out gave him a 10 count. We scored a TD, but our sideline went nuts about that block. (I was a little guy, fought at featherweight, but strong AF.)
A few years later at Pitt I dated a girl from that school, and she told me how someone injured her then boyfriend and stood over him and counted him out. I told her no way would anyone from our team do that. She had to be mistaken. Truth in relationships is important. That one was doomed from the start.

4. Kick back pass and swish. I usually bricked that, but when it went it was glorious.

5. One timer goal. Only did that once and was probably pretty lucky it went in. I play goalie now, and saves are pretty much expected, so not like you get to get crazy and celebrate.

So back in the day, what were your plays of glory? The ones where you still remember how they felt at the time....
Making it to the semi finals PIAA wrestling. Winning my weigh class in boxing at the academy. Earning my marksmanship. But kicking ass in power school. Lastly watching my son to be 90 wonder at 5’7 ” hit 300 yd drives. Worst sport feeling jr year Hs hit a friend in a football game (rivalry game) and he would never play again

Getting a two point take down against Cary Kolat...the rest of the match is forgotten like a massive car crash....
When was this, high school or college? I think state final his senior year when he did the semi backflip with opponent on a low single and popping out through the legs for a takedown was amazing, and that opponent was a hundred plus winner if I recall. He threw that kid around like a rag doll and toyed with him.

My disclosures are that my football and basketball was high school AAAA back in the 80s, pony league baseball, regional golden gloves level boxing, and adult beer league ice hockey. The feelings may or may not differ based on level, not sure....

1. Left hook knockout punch. You feel this connect in the balls of your feet as the power is transmitted from rotational force. This is a beautiful feeling. A straight right is quicker and the ending more instant so you just don't experience it the same.

2. A home run that you just smash. The mid-barrel of the bat and pulled. Once again you feel that down in the balls of your feet.

3. These plays are now called targeting. Just launching and destroying a receiver coming across the middle. My favourite hit ever in FB was a block. I was WR and was wide open deep. The QB hit our huge TE over the middle who was being chased by a LB. I turned back upfield to block. As the TE turned upfield towards the end zone, the LB had no idea I was coming and he was absolutely KTFO near our bench. I stood over him out gave him a 10 count. We scored a TD, but our sideline went nuts about that block. (I was a little guy, fought at featherweight, but strong AF.)
A few years later at Pitt I dated a girl from that school, and she told me how someone injured her then boyfriend and stood over him and counted him out. I told her no way would anyone from our team do that. She had to be mistaken. Truth in relationships is important. That one was doomed from the start.

4. Kick back pass and swish. I usually bricked that, but when it went it was glorious.

5. One timer goal. Only did that once and was probably pretty lucky it went in. I play goalie now, and saves are pretty much expected, so not like you get to get crazy and celebrate.

So back in the day, what were your plays of glory? The ones where you still remember how they felt at the time....
I love number 3.

Man, I’ve done a few 100s and a bunch of other ultra distances, but I won the Outer Banks 8k a couple of years ago and I was flying high afterwards. Brag that 5k win up!
I know a couple former Rangers that do them

When was this, high school or college? I think state final his senior year when he did the semi backflip with opponent on a low single and popping out through the legs for a takedown was amazing, and that opponent was a hundred plus winner if I recall. He threw that kid around like a rag doll and toyed with him.
HC United States Naval Academy

On the flip side, I did something monumentally/epically bad playing collegiately vs Duquesne back in my day, but if I said it here I might blow my anonymity…so I’ll just reply with something else that most of us can probably relate to from back in our HS days…

scoring a touchdown or hitting a home run with the girl you adore watching from the bleachers. Life was simpler back then.

it’s the small things…

There are so many, but I guess the one that stood out to me was 8th grade Gym class playing "Murder ball." Remember "dodgeball is a sport of violence, exclusion and degradation" anyways, I had this crush on this one girl and I promptly threw the red ball of fire and smacked her right in the face and then caught my foe's ball for a "two player swing" as he tried to avenge her honor... (remember you pay double for that.) I often sit in my tree stand and think about that great play I made... I became a legend
As a little kid playing pick up games with no fans, no coaches, no parents.

Still really trying to figure out how to answer this...

Scoring just an absolutely gorgeous handsy goal against Mark Madden's Express team in the Penn Hills Hockey League game was fun.

Follow up dunk on an offensive goaltending call in an intramural game was special. I couldn't dunk per se, but I could get decently over the rim and the ball was sitting there, and I timed my jump perfect to cuff it in. I'm 5'10"

In HS, okay, I ran a leg on a 2 mile relay (800 meters each leg) and we were lapped and I ran like a 55 second 400 meter 1st leg to get lapped (and like a 1 minute 30 second 2nd lap because they already finished) but I just wanted to get lapped.

Company golf outing......everyone gathered around the 18 and I was like 90 yards away...and I can hear them betting and saying how I will duff it and I just friggin sweet spotted a wedge that was a dart and landed and stuck 2 yards from the hole for the tap in birdie.

Coolest thing? I threw out the first pitch at a Pirates game as a 12 year old. It was the 1979 WS team.

Still really trying to figure out how to answer this...

Scoring just an absolutely gorgeous handsy goal against Mark Madden's Express team in the Penn Hills Hockey League game was fun.

Follow up dunk on an offensive goaltending call in an intramural game was special. I couldn't dunk per se, but I could get decently over the rim and the ball was sitting there, and I timed my jump perfect to cuff it in. I'm 5'10"

In HS, okay, I ran a leg on a 2 mile relay (800 meters each leg) and we were lapped and I ran like a 55 second 400 meter 1st leg to get lapped (and like a 1 minute 30 second 2nd lap because they already finished) but I just wanted to get lapped.

Company golf outing......everyone gathered around the 18 and I was like 90 yards away...and I can hear them betting and saying how I will duff it and I just friggin sweet spotted a wedge that was a dart and landed and stuck 2 yards from the hole for the tap in birdie.

Coolest thing? I threw out the first pitch at a Pirates game as a 12 year old. It was the 1979 WS team.
Christ almighty .. You may have forgotten the time you cured polio ? 🙄 😁

Winning PIAA 440 championship 1971
Running a 1:49 half mile at Drake Relays
Being part of winning mile relay at the Penn Relays (I lost the damn watch 😞)
Competing at Madison Square Garden
Competing at indoor NCAA’s (track & field) in Detroit

1984: Winning the Pony League Regional Tournament and advancing to the state tournament in Washington, PA. In championship game, lost 3-2 to Upper St. Clair, coached by Pitt's own Bobby Lewis. Winner advanced to the Pony League World Series.

1988: Scoring 1,000 point and recording 500th assist in high school basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT