ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Rock Drummers of the modern era

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I saw this questioned posed on Twitter. By "modern" I am talking about guys like Buddy Rich NOT counting, But the 3 most mentioned were obviously:
John Bonham. Led Zeppelin
Neal Peart. Rush
Keith Moon the Who

And they asked for a 4th. I mentioned Stewart Copeland of the Police and Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers. But my choice is obvious. Danny Carey of Tool. Not only just one of the most instrumentally influenced bands of the last 30 years, but the dude is the goofiest, geekiest, dad body rock star. Google Danny Carey and you will see.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
And to highlight how "normal" the dad drummer is,.....here is some Jr High rock band performing a Tool song with a special guest drummer.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
One of my favorite singular performances was by 20 year old Michael Shrieve at Woodstock in front of a couple hundred thousand music lovers/ druggies.

He played for Carlos Santana and his work here is pure gold. Soul Sacrifice to me was the best performance I saw from the Woodstock documentary. If you haven't seen this it is worth a look.

Terry Bozzio
Vinnie Coliauta
Neil Peart
Jojo Mayer
Marco Minnemann
Billy Cobham

Most aren’t exclusively rock … but all rock

I saw this questioned posed on Twitter. By "modern" I am talking about guys like Buddy Rich NOT counting, But the 3 most mentioned were obviously:
Neal Peart. Rush
Keith Moon the Who

And they asked for a 4th. I mentioned Stewart Copeland of the Police and Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers. But my choice is obvious. Danny Carey of Tool. Not only just one of the most instrumentally influenced bands of the last 30 years, but the dude is the goofiest, geekiest, dad body rock star. Google Danny Carey and you will see.

Ok this is weird. I woke up to this thread…didn’t see it last night. In fact I might have been asleep before you posted it.

But do things in life ever happen that make you wonder if we inherently have a gift or a sixth sense that we just don’t know how to tap into?

Alex Van Halen popped into my dream last night. For what reason I have no idea. Why is that? I didn’t listen to any Van Halen music yesterday, nor did I give one thought to Van Halen at any time during the day. So why would this guy appear in a dream? What would have triggered this? Had to be your post that I didn’t know occurred until I woke up and saw it just now.

So I guess I’d vote for alex Van Halen even though I think he’s an Ahole who deprived Van Halen fans of ever seeing the band play together again. And it all started going south when he brought the Rush manager in to manage them.

Steve Gadd
Also Topper Headon was the perfect drummer for what The Clash were trying to do; the "human drum machine" keeping this solid four on the floor beat so they could experiment with taking punk in a danceable direction.

Reactions: pittguy81
Oh and I know a lot of people hate the Dave Matthews Band, but Carter Beauford is a bada$$. . Tip of the cap to Druid for the Billy Cobham mention.
He’s outstanding and should be on any list of best rock drummers.

I think I posted a video of Bozzio when he was with Missing Persons on the song Mental Hopscotch.
Missing Persons were sooooo damn good. All Zappa alum who ran circles around most New Wave. I saw them in 1984 when Bozzio had his electronic set up… he killed me lol ! Just a great player

Photo-Jul-18-12-52-24-AM.jpg

Missing Persons were sooooo damn good. All Zappa alum who ran circles around most New Wave. I saw them in 1984 when Bozzio had his electronic set up… he killed me lol ! Just a great player

Photo-Jul-18-12-52-24-AM.jpg
Do you remember that awful song by Zappa's daughter "Valley Girl"? I haven't heard for like decades, then I heard it about a month ago. And as I listened to it, I was amazed about how good the musicianship was in the background and the pace was amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DruidTM
Do you remember that awful song by Zappa's daughter "Valley Girl"? I have heard for like decades, then I heard it about a month ago. And as I listened to it, I was amazed about how good the musicianship was in the background and the pace was amazing.
Yep

The story behind that as told by Chad Wackerman the drummer was Frank was basically always recording and by the point would “marry” parts to create songs. If I remember correctly he had Wackerman and the bass player go through these sections with zero reference to the final song. So months later or whatever the lead vocals by his daughter Moon Unit and all the other stuff was added … it was on the “Ship Arriving Too late to save a Drowning Witch “ album

Frank_Zappa_-_Ship_Arriving_Too_Late_to_Save_a_Drowning_Witch.png

Neal Peart. Rush
Keith Moon the Who

Really anyone that doesn’t think is Neil Peart is just not being truthful or don’t know anything about the guy. He was just a drum guru

I like the brutal drummers of the heaviest bands who sound like they are physically abusing the drumkit. Guys like Eloy Casagrande of Sepultura and Krimh from Septicflesh. But for straight up rock, Ill take Brad Wilk of RATM or Dave Grohl
Chuck Biscuits would be the punk equivalent

For how versatile he is across genres - Travis Barker doesn’t get mentioned enough

Last edited:
Neal Peart. Rush
Keith Moon the Who

Little surprised Jimmy Chamberlin didn’t make your list

Last edited:
Reactions: ratking17
I'll just add to what people have already said. Since all the drummers (including Ketih Moon, the Jimi Hendrix of drumming) already mentioned are great.

A few missing so far:

Phil Collins, Genesis (especially Peter Gabriel era) Brand X
Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix Experience
Mick Fleetwood, Fleetwood Mac
Bill Bruford, Yes
Aynsley Dunbar, Bluesbreakers
Ginger Baker, Cream
Levon Helm, The Band
Ringo Starr, The Beatles
Dave Grohl, Nirvana
Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters
Reni from the Stone Roses
Dave Abbruzzese, Pearl Jam

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Do you remember that awful song by Zappa's daughter "Valley Girl"? I haven't heard for like decades, then I heard it about a month ago. And as I listened to it, I was amazed about how good the musicianship was in the background and the pace was amazing.

I can’t imagine any of you know who Candiria is but their drummer Kenneth Schalk is unbelievable. Probably not a lot of your music style. Hardcore band from Brooklyn. I’ve seen them multiple times live and have just kept my eyes on him.

I'll just add to what people have already said. Since all the drummers (including Ketih Moon, the Jimi Hendrix of drumming) already mentioned are great.

A few missing so far:

Phil Collins, Genesis (especially Peter Gabriel era) Brand X
Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix Experience
Mick Fleetwood, Fleetwood Mac
Bill Bruford, Yes
Aynsley Dunbar, Bluesbreakers
Ginger Baker, Cream
Levon Helm, The Band
Ringo Starr, The Beatles
Dave Grohl, Nirvana
Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters
Reni from the Stone Roses
Dave Abbruzzese, Pearl Jam
Yeah I just started this because the question on Twitter (which is still running by the way) was asked who is basically #4 on the Mt Rushmore of Rock Drummers with Moon, Bonham and Peart.

I said Stewart Copeland of the Police (if you listen to early Police and that Ska sound, he was just phenomenal and complex)

Chad Smith (because I think he and Flea along with Chancellor and Carey and maybe Cummerfield and Wilk) are the best rhythm sections in modern rock and of course

Tool's Danny Carey.

But yeah, Grohl, Wilk, Baker, Hawkins, Fleetwood, Bozzio, Matt Cameron, Meg White, the chick who drummed for Slater Kinney (forget her name), Adrien Young of No Doubt all are among my favorites.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Neal Peart. Rush
Keith Moon the Who

Agree on Chad Smith. In a band where Flea and Frusciante get a ton of props ( rightly so) he gets forgotten a bit, but he plays his ass off and has been a rock at drummer since 89.

Throw a nod out for Charlie Watts and Danny Seraphine (Chicago during the Terry Kath days could jam with any band) knowing both are more jazz influenced and there is no right or wrong answer

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Ginger Baker -- certainly the most interesting and complex drummer
Watch "Beware of Mr. Baker" to see a man fully committed to his art.

Yeah I just started this because the question on Twitter (which is still running by the way) was asked who is basically #4 on the Mt Rushmore of Rock Drummers with Moon, Bonham and Peart.

I said Stewart Copeland of the Police (if you listen to early Police and that Ska sound, he was just phenomenal and complex)

Chad Smith (because I think he and Flea along with Chancellor and Carey and maybe Cummerfield and Wilk) are the best rhythm sections in modern rock and of course

Tool's Danny Carey.

But yeah, Grohl, Wilk, Baker, Hawkins, Fleetwood, Bozzio, Matt Cameron, Meg White, the chick who drummed for Slater Kinney (forget her name), Adrien Young of No Doubt all are among my favorites.
Totally, I agree with all of the them! Just adding more for fun. Didn't mean to suggest you should have mentioned them first.

Chad Smith is one of the most criminally underrated drummers mainly because they have been around so long and don't fit into one niche. He can play everything and still bring energy, whether he's behind the beat or on it. And I love all of the ghost notes he plays. Top 5 in my mind. I'd probably have him number 4.

Last edited:
Totally, I agree with all of the them! Just adding more for fun. Didn't mean to suggest you should have mentioned them first.

Chad Smith is one of the most criminally underrated drummers mainly because they have been around so long and don't fit into one niche. He can play everything and still bring energy, whether he's behind the beat or on it. And I love all of the ghost notes he plays. Top 5 in my mind. I'd probably have him number 4.
The King of ghost notes is Harvey Mason. His work on Herbie Hancock Headhunters is seminal IMO...but he is more Jazz/Jazz Fusion.

Reactions: DruidTM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT