ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

The ship landed a direct hit. Unless there was a power failure or something it’s hard to believe running smack dab into the middle of the column is an “accident”.

Still doesn’t explain why it was headed directly for the support. It’s not like the supports are that close together

Last edited:
The ship landed a direct hit. Unless there was a power failure or something it’s hard to believe running smack dab into the middle of the column is an “accident”.

Still doesn’t explain why it was headed directly for the support. It’s not like the supports are that close together

There were 2 power failures. You can see the lights go off, the generator fire up (black smoke) and the lights come back on, and then off again. The ship was unpowered for a long period of time.

I can't imagine the damage would have been less if the ship hit the bridge instead of a truss. Might have given some people a better chance at survival? Either way that is a huge bridge to fall from. I feel terrible for those who were on it.

Will be interesting to hear if the bridge was properly maintained or if it needed repairs like the bridge in Frick Park.

We just had a meeting about it. Obviously in the Mid Atlantic alot of materials arrive through Baltimore now that Port will be closed down for awhile. So things will be rerouted to Norfolk and Newark and Charleston. So expect some things to go up in price and delays as we know companies never let an opportunity go by to pass on price increases.

Also, the Sobotka's will be looking for work if anyone is hiring.

There were 2 power failures. You can see the lights go off, the generator fire up (black smoke) and the lights come back on, and then off again. The ship was unpowered for a long period of time.

I can't imagine the damage would have been less if the ship hit the bridge instead of a truss. Might have given some people a better chance at survival? Either way that is a huge bridge to fall from. I feel terrible for those who were on it.
That’s not my point. Why was the ship headed directly at the support to begin witb. Look at the bridge. There’s tons of space in between supports. It’s not like there was a tight squeeze between supports. You don’t turn those puppies on a dime.

That’s not my point. Why was the ship headed directly at the support to begin witb. Look at the bridge. There’s tons of space in between supports. It’s not like there was a tight squeeze between supports. You don’t turn those puppies on a dime.
The ship was floating unpowered and at the mercy of the water channel / inertia for a long period of time. The crew tried to restore power and briefly succeeded, but they didn't have control for a long enough period of time to avoid the bridge.

The unpowered ship just happened to directly hit the truss. Why do bad things happen? They just do.

But don't worry. This guy is on it...

Clarence_Royce.jpg

I saw earlier that the captain was calling whomever you are supposed to call saying he had lost power. They tried to stop it. Just an accident that looks absolutely horrific.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Will be interesting to hear if the bridge was properly maintained or if it needed repairs like the bridge in Frick Park.
if the Frick Park bridge was hit by a 150,000 ton cargo ship that might have actually made sense...

I'm thinking the union made them hire Ziggy Sobotka for the open third shift Harbor Pilot 1 position

The failure in the bridge design is more tied to the lack of robust fenders at the footing. You can't really feasibly design the super structure/substructure of a bridge to be able to sustain that type of impact.

The true root cause seems to be tied to the loss of power scenario likely stemming from a lack of regulations or not having a proper pre startup inspection of these safety systems. I also find it hard to believe they were relying solely on a finicky backup generator and didn't have a more seamless power transfer system like an uninterruptible power supply.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Newer bridges that are long span and get big ships under them are built with piers that are a short distance from the supports. If a ship does get off course, it hits the pier and not the bridge. This is one of those, "what are the odds," questions if you're looking for why they never added them to this one. I imagine you'll see the piers when the bridge is rebuilt.

Newer bridges that are long span and get big ships under them are built with piers that are a short distance from the supports. If a ship does get off course, it hits the pier and not the bridge. This is one of those, "what are the odds," questions if you're looking for why they never added them to this one. I imagine you'll see the piers when the bridge is rebuilt.
don't doubt you but do you have a "such as" on that one? Seems like a hell of a lot of added cost to put it piers in 50 feet of water on both sides of a bridge loaded with supports that are capable of stopping massive cargo ships...

Reactions: Jeffburgh
don't doubt you but do you have a "such as" on that one? Seems like a hell of a lot of added cost to put it piers in 50 feet of water on both sides of a bridge loaded with supports that are capable of stopping massive cargo ships...
Skyway Bridge in Tampa. The old one was hit buy a boat in a storm and several vehicles drove off the edge. When they rebuilt it, they put those piers in.

Google for the images and you can see them.

Skyway Bridge in Tampa. The old one was hit buy a boat in a storm and several vehicles drove off the edge. When they rebuilt it, they put those piers in.

Google for the images and you can see them.
ringing a bell now....

I love the Sobotka references in this thread.

Novice question here....when do tugs come into play?

Would tug requirements totally slow down the movement of ships into the harbor?

Again...NOVICE question, so no one come for me with an insulting reply.

I love the Sobotka references in this thread.

Novice question here....when do tugs come into play?

Would tug requirements totally slow down the movement of ships into the harbor?

Again...NOVICE question, so no one come for me with an insulting reply.
Normal protocol is to have tugs nearby, and this one had three, but the time elapsed between the loss of power and the strike was too short for the tugs to have altered the outcome. Especially so since the Dali was basically one of the biggest ships in the world.

Some ships - like oil tankers - do have tugs the whole way into port due to the possible ramifications of a wreck.

These bridges are very different and were built for different reasons. The Key Bridge was literally 50% higher.

Can we all agree to stop Monday Morning Quarterbacking bridge construction if we aren't engineers?

That's what message boards are for. I don't know much about bridges and never claimed that I did. Some just seems more robust than others. Perhaps height is the main reason for the difference.

There is no train that goes over that bridge. All trains go through downtown Baltimore. You might be thinking of the bridge over the Susquehanna around Aberdeen
Pretty sure he’s referencing Joe Bidens remarks today saying he rode on trains over Francis Scott Key bridge many times. When of course it never had tracks as you noted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT