ADVERTISEMENT

OT : Caitlin Clark Abuse

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I don’t care for women’s hoops but I do like women’s sports (soccer and volleyball)., so I haven’t paid much attention to Clark over the past couple of years. Frankly from afar I wasn’t crazy about her. But now I’m starting to pay attention a bit and finding myself pulling for her now because of the abuse she’s been taking as a pro. It makes me think of Sid when he first entered the NHL. He didn’t handle things 100% the right way and got labeled as a crybaby. That label has stayed with him for his whole career among rival fans, even though he never really was outside of some early incidents like when his teeth got knocked out in Philly. Clark says she’s trying to ignore everything and not let it bother her. Is she? if she can, she will be better off.

Reactions: TreesHero
I happened to be watching that game yesterday when she took that foul. I don't understand how the refs didn't go to the monitor to review it. If they saw it live, surely they would have called a flagrant foul. And if they were looking at it when it happened, when they look over and see Clark on the ground do they not wonder, "gee, how did that happen? Maybe we should at least take a look at it."

Reactions: pittbb80
I happened to be watching that game yesterday when she took that foul. I don't understand how the refs didn't go to the monitor to review it. If they saw it live, surely they would have called a flagrant foul. And if they were looking at it when it happened, when they look over and see Clark on the ground do they not wonder, "gee, how did that happen? Maybe we should at least take a look at it."
Well it happened right in front of the ref and it appeared to me that he saw it all the way and called the foul. He just didn’t assess it as anything more. I guess the question remains, when will they start enforcing some of this stuff? Not to be conspiratorial, but it is peaking my interest and maybe this kind of attention brings more eyes. You hear all the time how NBA officials are told to call things a certain way based on circumstances. Maybe this is one of them. Lol. I kid. Sort of.

There was a viral clip of some opponent making a foul shot then running over to her to face guard her and talk smack. Problem is the opponent forgot she had another free throw so it was super awkward.

There's just a lot of jealousy and basically hatred towards her because I think there's a feeling that they've been here the whole time so why is this one player have to be the chosen one?

Side note: my son's friend was over the house last week and out of nowhere he says, its 7:00, put on the Indiana Fever game. This is a kid who doesnt play basketball and I didnt know he even liked the sport. But he makes time for Indiana Fever games now apparently. It should be noted that the NBA playoffs were on opposite the Fever.

There was a viral clip of some opponent making a foul shot then running over to her to face guard her and talk smack. Problem is the opponent forgot she had another free throw so it was super awkward.

There's just a lot of jealousy and basically hatred towards her because I think there's a feeling that they've been here the whole time so why is this one player have to be the chosen one?

Side note: my son's friend was over the house last week and out of nowhere he says, its 7:00, put on the Indiana Fever game. This is a kid who doesnt play basketball and I didnt know he even liked the sport. But he makes time for Indiana Fever games now apparently. It should be noted that the NBA playoffs were on opposite the Fever.
Which is why it feels like the Crosby thing to me.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Which is why it feels like the Crosby thing to me.

Canadiens are goons and there's no respect between hockey players so I don't think it was necessarily a Crosby thing. More of a "I'm a goon playing a cartoon sport so I have to attack a good player" thing.

I watched the play and it was a foul but not as egregious as many have made it out to be. The refs are now on notice so let's see going forward how plays are called ( have to take X's word since I have never watched a WNBA game and have no intention to start.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
I watched the play and it was a foul but not as egregious as many have made it out to be.

It fits the parameters of a flagrant foul pretty much to a tee. A flagrant one foul is for any foul that is unnecessary. Seeing as to how the ball wasn't even in play at the time the foul was committed, it doesn't get any more unnecessary than that.

The only question should have been if it was a flagrant two foul, which is unnecessary and excessive. You could make an argument that it wasn't excessive, so it should have "only" been a flagrant one.

I mean you'd be wrong, but you could make that argument. :D

It fits the parameters of a flagrant foul pretty much to a tee. A flagrant one foul is for any foul that is unnecessary. Seeing as to how the ball wasn't even in play at the time the foul was committed, it doesn't get any more unnecessary than that.

The only question should have been if it was a flagrant two foul, which is unnecessary and excessive. You could make an argument that it wasn't excessive, so it should have "only" been a flagrant one.

I mean you'd be wrong, but you could make that argument. :D
I agree that it was a flagrant foul but people are saying it was racist and things like that.

I agree that it was a flagrant foul but people are saying it was racist and things like that.

I think it's possible that there was some racist intent, along the line of "why is this white girl getting all the attention instead of me", but it's way more likely that it was more along the lines of "why is this rookie getting all the attention instead of me".

I think it's possible that there was some racist intent, along the line of "why is this white girl getting all the attention instead of me", but it's way more likely that it was more along the lines of "why is this rookie getting all the attention instead of me".
Well it’s possible, if they watch MSNBC, because the race baiters there have been saying for weeks that Clark is only getting all of this positive attention from fans and media because she’s white…which is complete horseshit of course. But that’s what they do there.

Personally I thought there was something unlikable about her before, and if I felt that, surely competing players feel that way too. So I’m not ready throw the R word out there yet.

It is racist and jealousy. She’s had I think 10 flagrant fouls against her already? Not to mention this Chennedy women screaming your a bitch after she knocked her down. These women want commensurate compensation to men? What a Fing joke. No one is paying to watch this trash.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Well it’s possible, if they watch MSNBC, because the race baiters there have been saying for weeks that Clark is only getting all of this positive attention from fans and media because she’s white…which is complete horseshit of course. But that’s what they do there.

Personally I thought there was something unlikable about her before, and if I felt that, surely competing players feel that way too. So I’m not ready throw the R word out there yet.

People don't like white people in basketball. Jeff Capel said so himself in one of his introductory press conferences at Pitt. I assume Christian Laettner was something he was familiar with.

It is racist and jealousy. She’s had I think 10 flagrant fouls against her already? Not to mention this Chennedy women screaming your a bitch after she knocked her down. These women want commensurate compensation to men? What a Fing joke. No one is paying to watch this trash.

If you watch any of the games (yeah, I know, it's beneath you), you'd find that there is a lot of trash talking going on all over the court. Including by Caitlin Clark.

As to no one paying to watch it, Indiana has already played to more fans at home this year than they did all last season. They are selling out arenas everywhere Clark plays. The ratings on television, even in the games that Clark is not playing in, are at all time highs.

So yeah, clearly no one is watching.

Reactions: Ski11585

FK, come on now, you know that's true though. I like Caitlin Clark as much as the next guy but the fact she looks like the girl next door is a huge part of her appeal. If she were black, yes, she would still be popular, but not transcendent like she is.

People don't like white people in basketball. Jeff Capel said so himself in one of his introductory press conferences at Pitt. I assume Christian Laettner was something he was familiar with.

I personally dont like dorky looking white players for some reason. I dont know why, really. But I do think that white guys generally dont like certain white players because they are good and white. Like that little 12 year old kid that Wake Forest plays, I want to break my TV when he starts draining 3s against us.

FK, come on now, you know that's true though. I like Caitlin Clark as much as the next guy but the fact she looks like the girl next door is a huge part of her appeal. If she were black, yes, she would still be popular, but not transcendent like she is.

See, I don't get it. To me, Clark does look like the girl next door. Meaning an average, kinda plain girl that you see plenty of every day. Every game she plays there are players (and that's plural) on the court who are more physically attractive than her. If someone's thing is to watch because the players are good looking and they are watching because of Clark, they are doing it wrong.

See, I don't get it. To me, Clark does look like the girl next door. Meaning an average, kinda plain girl that you see plenty of every day. Every game she plays there are players (and that's plural) on the court who are more physically attractive than her. If someone's thing is to watch because the players are good looking and they are watching because of Clark, they are doing it wrong.

I dont think they watch Clark because she is attractive. I mean she is relatable. People gravitate towards people who look like them or who they can relate to. I promise you if Clark was all tatted up and had pink hair, she wouldn't be loved as much. The fact that she's a "plain," white, and sorry but I'll just say it, heterosexual girl AND a great player is a big part of her appeal. In women's sports, looks matter because a large part of the audience is going to be white men.

I personally dont like dorky looking white players for some reason. I dont know why, really. But I do think that white guys generally dont like certain white players because they are good and white. Like that little 12 year old kid that Wake Forest plays, I want to break my TV when he starts draining 3s against us.

Look how much Pitt/other fans disliked Grayson Allen, Kyle Fillipowski, Eric Devendorf, Kevin Pittsnoggle, Gerry McNamara, Buddy Boeheim, like 60 - 70% of the guys who have played at Notre Dame, many more from Duke, etc. I know some of them are douches, but you'd be foolish to think it's a coincidence. Heck, look at how Carmody and Morton get talked about on this board (myself included).

I think the card gets way overplayed in general, but there seems to be something to it in basketball. At least in the case of the unathletic 3-point shooters, I don't think people like that someone so "unqualified" keeps using their niche to throw daggers like that. But I think it goes beyond that as well, though the guys who come over from modern Europe seem almost immune to it.

Look how much Pitt/other fans disliked Grayson Allen, Kyle Fillipowski, Eric Devendorf, Kevin Pittsnoggle, Gerry McNamara, Buddy Boeheim, like 60 - 70% of the guys who have played at Notre Dame, many more from Duke, etc. I know some of them are douches, but you'd be foolish to think it's a coincidence. Heck, look at how Carmody and Morton get talked about on this board (myself included).

I think the card gets way overplayed in general, but there seems to be something to it in basketball. At least in the case of the unathletic 3-point shooters, I don't think people like that someone so "unqualified" keeps using their niche to throw daggers like that. But I think it goes beyond that as well, though the guys who come over from modern Europe seem almost immune to it.

Yea its interesting because you are right that the Euro NBA players don't get that treatment. But white fans "hating on" white college players is a thing. For me, its only certain ones though. Like most of those ND shooters, I didnt mind. Kinda liked Gerry Mac and Devendorf and most of the Duke guys. Hate Filipowski. Didnt like Laettner (though didnt hate). Liked Hurley. Pittsnogle was a rivalry thing but if he played for Providence, I still wouldn't have liked him. Too goofy looking. Same with Grant Billmeier from SHU back in the day. Looked like a total nerd.

I dont think they watch Clark because she is attractive. I mean she is relatable. People gravitate towards people who look like them or who they can relate to. I promise you if Clark was all tatted up and had pink hair, she wouldn't be loved as much. The fact that she's a "plain," white, and sorry but I'll just say it, heterosexual girl AND a great player is a big part of her appeal. In women's sports, looks matter because a large part of the audience is going to be white men.
Reading this... Now I hope Clark goes full Birdman as she evoles as a player. Mohawk and all. 😄 🤣

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I don’t think so at all
It’s because she makes amazing passes , takes deep threes , and plays with a swagger
I mean it’s the same reason why Diana Taurasi was a star .

I mean Caitlin is the definition of mid looking .
How is that appealing ?
Cameron Brink and Angel Reese are way more attractive looking

Yep , it’s rookie hazing of the proclaimed star .
Plenty of wnba players said before the first game - she won’t have as easy a time here , because we are professionals who at bigger , stronger , and better than she’s used to .

And so far - Clark is doing well compared to other rookies. But is far from the star she was in college .

You have a weird disorder. I’ll just leave it at that.

She’s a trash talking plain jane. Not the kind of person Madison ave firms would pick to sell a product if she didn’t have the most talent anyone has seen in recent years. Her appeal is her play. Period.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Her style of play is her selling point

I don’t watch women’s hoops at all. But I know who Clark and Sabrina ionescu are. I don’t know very much about Kelsey plum even though she was a peer of ionescu in college and was the person who held the all time scoring record in college before Clark broke the record. Plum wins championships and goes to all star games and is probably more attractive than both ionescu and Clark.

I’m guessing that plum doesn’t drop 3s from absurd distances and I’m guessing she isn’t good enough to go toe to toe with steph curry in a 3 point shooting contest.

Being a headline athlete isn’t just about being good it’s how you go about it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
You have a weird disorder. I’ll just leave it at that.

She’s a trash talking plain jane. Not the kind of person Madison ave firms would pick to sell a product if she didn’t have the most talent anyone has seen in recent years. Her appeal is her play. Period.

Her appeal is

- her talent
- her style of play
- being white and not ugly or weird looking

You need all 3 of these to become the type of crossover star she has become. If she had 2 of them but not all 3, she wouldn't be.

For example, lets say she was a Center and just dominant in the paint, she wouldn't be as popular because her deep 3s is what the masses tune into.

Lets say she has the first 2 but was black or a crazy looking tatted up white girl, she wouldn't be as popular.

Her appeal is

- her talent
- her style of play
- being white and not ugly or weird looking

You need all 3 of these to become the type of crossover star she has become. If she had 2 of them but not all 3, she wouldn't be.

For example, lets say she was a Center and just dominant in the paint, she wouldn't be as popular because her deep 3s is what the masses tune into.

Lets say she has the first 2 but was black or a crazy looking tatted up white girl, she wouldn't be as popular.
I really don’t want to have this conversation which is why I said above I’ll leave it at that. So after this I’m done with your flawed opinion. If what you are describing is true, she’d be John Stockton. But her level of play is way above even his, a HOF dream teamer. Thus the hype that she has and he never got. Generational talents are generational talents. And that’s what she has and that’s what matters.

Reactions: pittbb80
She’s a very marketable star so anything that happens with her will be magnified. But outside of a few games in college she’s never faced physicality like this. The big 10 stunk so she never faced this good of players on the reg. Were some of these fouls a little dirty? Sure but most are just hard basketball. The Carter hit was uncalled for. And I’m sure EVRY player that goes up against her wants to make a name for herself. No different than going up against a big star in any sport.

Yep , it’s rookie hazing of the proclaimed star .
Plenty of wnba players said before the first game - she won’t have as easy a time here , because we are professionals who at bigger , stronger , and better than she’s used to .

And so far - Clark is doing well compared to other rookies. But is far from the star she was in college .
In many cases, Sidney Crosby went through alot of this. He was a goofy looking kid who looked like he was 12 years old and wasn't afraid to get into verbal matchups and guys like Derian Hatcher "tested" him. But in hockey, this is considered standard operating procedure.

As for Clark and WNBA....this is great for them. People are talking about their league.

I never got the hating of white players. I actually like Laettner and those Dukie teams. I loved Rex Chapman. I hated Grayson Allen and Buddy Boeheim and that leprechaun Chris Quinn of ND. I wasn't Magic over Bird, but Dr J was my favorite so I hated Bird.

I never got the hating of white players. I actually like Laettner and those Dukie teams. I loved Rex Chapman. I hated Grayson Allen and Buddy Boeheim and that leprechaun Chris Quinn of ND. I wasn't Magic over Bird, but Dr J was my favorite so I hated Bird.
Loved Bird Way underrated as an athlete

Agree with Allen. Only disliked Boeheim because of his old man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT