ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CBS Sports outbids the SMF Network...

HOF Coach

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2012

New pro volleyball league signs with CBS​

A new women’s professional volleyball league — the Pro Volleyball Federation — announced Wednesday that it has reached a multi-year media rights deal with CBS Sports that will include at least ten matches in the inaugural 2024 season. Most coverage will air on CBS Sports Network, though the deal does include “opportunities” for matches on the CBS broadcast network.

The new volleyball league is set to launch at a time of increased viewership for women’s college volleyball. Last weekend’s national championship was the most-watched college match on record, breaking a weeks-old mark. (Pro Volleyball Federation 12.20)

A new women’s professional volleyball league — the Pro Volleyball Federation — announced Wednesday that it has reached a multi-year media rights deal with CBS Sports that will include at least ten matches in the inaugural 2024 season. Most coverage will air on CBS Sports Network, though the deal does include “opportunities” for matches on the CBS broadcast network.

The new volleyball league is set to launch at a time of increased viewership for women’s college volleyball. Last weekend’s national championship was the most-watched college match on record, breaking a weeks-old mark. (Pro Volleyball Federation 12.20)

I can't believe it took this long for a pro women's league. Women's volleyball and soccer are the 2 best women's sports I think. I'd expect this league to overtake the WNBA.

Will be interesting to see how this goes. The game is so popular everywhere else, you'd think it would stand a chance here.

I can't believe it took this long for a pro women's league. Women's volleyball and soccer are the 2 best women's sports I think. I'd expect this league to overtake the WNBA.
like saying the liver and brains are the two best tasting organs from a cow...

I unironically thought that Hallmark should turn one of its three cable channels into a sports network for women’s sports. It’d make sense given they’re the highest-viewed cable entertainment channel and are top five among all cable channels for female viewers. They could have a ton of inventory between the NCAA, WNBA, NWSL, and now this league.

I unironically thought that Hallmark should turn one of its three cable channels into a sports network for women’s sports. It’d make sense given they’re the highest-viewed cable entertainment channel and are top five among all cable channels for female viewers. They could have a ton of inventory between the NCAA, WNBA, NWSL, and now this league.

Men watch women's sports more than women watch women's sports. In fact, there are some out there that have said women need to help grow their sports more by watching and supporting them.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Its uniforms will help to determine that.

That will be interesting. Honestly, if they allow/encourage the players to wear booty shorts skimpier than NCAA teams wear, the league would get more viewers and some of the more attractive players could get some pretty good marketing deals.

Men watch women's sports more than women watch women's sports. In fact, there are some out there that have said women need to help grow their sports more by watching and supporting them.
Exactly. My idea was that placing women’s sports content on one of the most popular cable networks for women could help boost viewership with that demo. The biggest question would be if men would continue to watch at that rate if the games aren’t one ESPN, FOX, CBS, etc.

Tennis is still the best women's sport IMO. It is superior from a viewing perspective to the men's game because you get way more volley's. I'd put women's volleyball next, then soccer. I sort of like women's college basketball too. I love the way they play more of a motion offense and move the ball around a ton.

Tennis is still the best women's sport IMO. It is superior from a viewing perspective to the men's game because you get way more volley's. I'd put women's volleyball next, then soccer. I sort of like women's college basketball too. I love the way they play more of a motion offense and move the ball around a ton.

I used to watch tennis when I was younger. Probably because there was only ESPN so you had to watch whatever was on so I watched a ton of French Open and Wimbledon. I liked watching men's tennis and women's tennis equally. I dont know why actually. Women's tennis just didnt seem like an inferior product. It seemed just as good for lack of a better explanation.

Reactions: deepelemblues
tbh watching Pitt WVB the last several seasons, the attractiveness of the girls wasn't much of a factor for me. And there's no denying most of the girls on any team are pretty. It's a fun fast paced sport that takes a lot of physical skill and individual and team coordination. Broadly speaking there's a lot of similarities to basketball with the quick ball movement and importance of positioning etc. And like SMF said, there isn't an appearance of inferior product with women's volleyball (like there is with women's basketball or soccer)

Of course having pretty girls everywhere on the screen is going to be a draw though, can't deny that

Reactions: HailToPitt725
tbh watching Pitt WVB the last several seasons, the attractiveness of the girls wasn't much of a factor for me. And there's no denying most of the girls on any team are pretty. It's a fun fast paced sport that takes a lot of physical skill and individual and team coordination. Broadly speaking there's a lot of similarities to basketball with the quick ball movement and importance of positioning etc. And like SMF said, there isn't an appearance of inferior product with women's volleyball (like there is with women's basketball or soccer)

Of course having pretty girls everywhere on the screen is going to be a draw though, can't deny that

I mean I dont think any of us are watching Pitt volleyball because of pretty girls in spandex shorts. However, if this pro league has pretty girls in possibly even shorter shorts, more men will watch. How many more? I dont know. But this isnt really debatable. And you may have the occasional Anna Kournikova, Olivia Dunne, or that West Ham player who can become a household name and star because of her looks. That brings viewers.

The women's pro volleyball we already have is played outside in the sand by women wearing next to nothing. They play two to a side. I'm guessing if they played more to a side the ball may never touch the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT