ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Copa America

don't have it but clearly pointing out that these blacks players who were born in france weren't french since their parents came from senegal angola etc. wouldn't go over well if the same ws done here to our black players.
Pretty sure if we imported a bunch of white euros and became a WC champion overnight, the rest of the world would be saying the same about us.

I guess I just don’t know enough about it other than the broad speculation that France skirted the rules and that African influencers I see online have no problems with the song. And I also know that Argentina players took issue with this…which I absolutely love because Kante is my favorite player ever.

don't have it but clearly pointing out that these blacks players who were born in france weren't french since their parents came from senegal angola etc. wouldn't go over well if the same ws done here to our black players.

What was the point of singing a song about France after winning Copa America.

Pretty sure if we imported a bunch of white euros and became a WC champion overnight, the rest of the world would be saying the same about us.

I guess I just don’t know enough about it other than the broad speculation that France skirted the rules and that African influencers I see online have no problems with the song. And I also know that Argentina players took issue with this…which I absolutely love because Kante is my favorite player ever.

I don't see how your hypothetical is at all similar to what's happened here. Almost all of the players of African descent were born in France and those who weren't moved there at a young age. Of course one white player was born in Belgium but he isn't called out for obvious reasons.

I fail to see how anyone who is born in, and grows up in, a country would need to "skirt the rules" to be eligible. It's also pretty common for players who move to a country at a young age to also be eligible.

From what I can tell, every French player of African descent has stronger ties to France then Alejandro Garnacho does to Argentina, given that he's never lived there and played for a different country's U18 team. Argentina figures to have more of such players going forward, including Nico Paz of Real Madrid who's likewise never lived in Argentina.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I don't see how your hypothetical is at all similar to what's happened here. Almost all of the players of African descent were born in France and those who weren't moved there at a young age. Of course one white player was born in Belgium but he isn't called out for obvious reasons.

I fail to see how anyone who is born in, and grows up in, a country would need to "skirt the rules" to be eligible. It's also pretty common for players who move to a country at a young age to also be eligible.

From what I can tell, every French player of African descent has stronger ties to France then Alejandro Garnacho does to Argentina, given that he's never lived there and played for a different country's U18 team. Argentina figures to have more of such players going forward, including Nico Paz of Real Madrid who's likewise never lived in Argentina.
And that’s fair. Again, I said I was ignorant to the issue and frankly don’t know the origins of the players. The rhetoric was never anti African. It was always anti france and born out of strong euro rivals. We sit 4000 miles away and it’s probably one of those things that gets repeated over and over again until it becomes truth. In any event, I know my guy Kante was born in Paris 10 years after his parents migrated there. Are we to believe the French Football Federation knew that Kante’s parents would conceive the greatest #6 of all time ten years later? Lol.

But if all of their impactful players came from Spain, the rhetoric would be the same.

You dont see this in the US.

Which is why it was easy this time. Things like that don't happen here, so they weren't prepared for it. My guess is that they'll be a lot better prepared in two years, because they've seen the possibility.

It's just like the incident at the semi-final with the family members getting harassed. That doesn't happen here (for the most part) either. Family members of opposing teams sit in the crowd at games all the time. With a few rare exceptions, nothing happens. One of the Uruguayan players said he didn't understand why the seats of the families weren't cordoned off from the rest of the crowd. And the reason for that is that we don't do that here, because we don't need to do that here. In most of the rest of the world they have to segregate fans of opposing teams from each other, sometimes behind fences, sometimes with a wall of security people, because if they don't there will, more often than not, be trouble. That generally isn't needed here.

Now that they have seen that at events like this the fans of the teams involved will bring their behaviors with them, they will be better prepared in two years. Well, either that or heads will roll. Maybe literally.

And that’s fair. Again, I said I was ignorant to the issue and frankly don’t know the origins of the players. The rhetoric was never anti African. It was always anti france and born out of strong euro rivals. We sit 4000 miles away and it’s probably one of those things that gets repeated over and over again until it becomes truth. In any event, I know my guy Kante was born in Paris 10 years after his parents migrated there. Are we to believe the French Football Federation knew that Kante’s parents would conceive the greatest #6 of all time ten years later? Lol.

But if all of their impactful players came from Spain, the rhetoric would be the same.

I think everyone realizes the French players of African descent were born in France but there is a sentiment from European rivals and also right-wing French that this isnt fair or isn't right because the team isnt ethnic French. However, to that I say, having a team made up of one ethnicity was never supposed to be a thing. FIFA goes by nationality, obviously, not ethnicity. Now, if you want to have some other competiton where players take an ancestry.com test and assign the players to an ethnic team, fine. I'd probably watch that too.

The Bournemouth manager tonight revealed that Tyler Adams had to have surgery on his back two days after the US got knocked out of the Copa. He'll at least miss the start of the season.

Seems like playing a guy in that condition was probably a really dumb thing to do.

The Bournemouth manager tonight revealed that Tyler Adams had to have surgery on his back two days after the US got knocked out of the Copa. He'll at least miss the start of the season.

Seems like playing a guy in that condition was probably a really dumb thing to do.
Yeah I guess I’ll cut Adams some slack for loafing. Backs are a bitch. Ask the Pirate 3rd baseman.

Yeah I guess I’ll cut Adams some slack for loafing. Backs are a bitch. Ask the Pirate 3rd baseman.

I get why Adams would have wanted to play, but if he was hurt that bad why on earth did they send him out there like they did? Some responsible person has got to be there telling him no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT