ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Denny's Beer Barrel Clearfield PA

Im a card carrying member of the big eaters club -- have dialed things back of course, but if I find a good seafood buffet with crab legs, shrimp, etc I will put in the time-honored "double shift" -- love seafood. Dont mess with the ramekins, grab the soup bowl and fill it with butter and old bay.

I too have the double shift ! Can say I love eating at minimum a Vinnie pie by myself..

Fortunate the weight stays off...

I've been there plenty of times. There's a Holiday Inn Express I stay at when I'm in that area and Denny's is close and the best option for a beer and food. It's a good spot to grab a beer and hang out but I've never been impressed with the burgers.

Previously they wouldn't let you make any substitutions on burgers, no adding any toppings or having any taken off. Last time I was there they had a make your own burger option, which is better.

Then they would only cook their burgers medium-well. I asked for medium and they told me no, just medium-well. Pretty crappy for a burger joint.

Once I ordered an Elk Burger and it was enjoyable as eating my wingtips.

Beer selection is decent, cool setting. It's fine for what it is, a roadside tavern, but for a place known for burgers I think they are average.

If you're in that area try Doc G's Brewery in Dubois or Station 101 next to the Fairfield Inn off the exit by the Dubois Mall.

EDIT: Just saw the OP has his 11 year old with him. Denny's would be fine...I took my kid there once and he liked it.
Agree...the burgers are good, not great. In fact they try to pile to much stuff on them. The wings are awesome.

Skip the burgers...wings are better. If you want great hiking trails and wild area, take the 879 north out of Clearfield up to Quehanna Wild Area about 45 minutes. There is some really nice trails off the main road north of the boot camp. Watch out for
Rattlesnakes.
Big time rattlesnake activity in Clearfield County. I believe there are a number of round ups that take place in the county.

Big time rattlesnake activity in Clearfield County. I believe there are a number of round ups that take place in the county.

I am guessing a lot of cult activity up there. My god, has anyone driven through some of those towns? I would kill myself if I lived there. Literally kill myself. It is like what is that TV Show? Walking Dead? It is like they are sets from that movie.

I am guessing a lot of cult activity up there. My god, has anyone driven through some of those towns? I would kill myself if I lived there. Literally kill myself. It is like what is that TV Show? Walking Dead? It is like they are sets from that movie.
all those towns are one and the same. quaint at first then 5 minutes after you've been there, redundant. it's mickey mouse wineries, labor day yard sales and the obligatory Central PA fall festivals where they sell cornstalks and carhartt jackets on main street for 1/2 off in october. you better love all 3 of those because that's 85% of the tourism in those parts, that and the covered bridge tours..

it's why most normal human beings have a cabin there so they can visit twice a year and after 48 hours away, come back to the real world

all those towns are one and the same. quaint at first then 5 minutes after you've been there, redundant. it's mickey mouse wineries, labor day yard sales and the obligatory Central PA fall festivals where they sell cornstalks and carhartt jackets on main street for 1/2 off in october. you better love all 3 of those because that's 85% of the tourism in those parts, that and the covered bridge tours..

it's why most normal human beings have a cabin there so they can visit twice a year and after 48 hours away, come back to the real world

Good thing people on here don't like to stereotype. I grew up Pittsburgh my whole life, moved the family to one of these "towns" for work ten years ago. The reason was simple...life was more laid back. I work for in operations for a major utility, it was completely hectic, long hours, constant outages, etc in Pittsburgh. When this position opened here, I jumped on it. I drive five minutes to my office, don't work the long hours like I did, have great employees under me. Here's the catch, I get paid the same. My wife drives five minutes to her job.. Don't kid yourself and think living in the "city" is so great. When it comes to people, these small "towns" as you described are no different than any community in Pittsburgh. I have never bought a carhart and if I need cornstalks, I walk down the road and cut them from my neighbor's field and I have yet to attend one yard sale on Labor Day weekend. In addition, I have seen only one covered Bridge, I bet Washington County has more. I buy wine from the local wineries, and it tastes the same as any other wine you buy.
Granted, the selection of amenities like shopping and restaurants is slim, but I am at Heinz field into the Red Lot in exactly 1 hour, 25 minutes. I include several Pitt graduates, some even Ivy League educated as my closest friends. My property and wage taxes are low. I just dropped daughter off as a freshman for her first semester at Pitt where she starts at Swanson School of Engineering and was one of 650 incoming freshman with an average SAT score of 1385. So the education system cant be that bad either.
Please come to Red Lot 7A during any Pitt game and meet the rest of the "townfolks", PM beforehand and I will give you my cell, we would be glad to have you at our tailgate.

but I am at Heinz field into the Red Lot in exactly 1 hour, 25 minutes.

No way you live in the area he's referring to, then.

I live deeper into that territory than Clearfield and I assure you, he hit the nail on the head.

Good thing people on here don't like to stereotype. I grew up Pittsburgh my whole life, moved the family to one of these "towns" for work ten years ago. The reason was simple...life was more laid back. I work for in operations for a major utility, it was completely hectic, long hours, constant outages, etc in Pittsburgh. When this position opened here, I jumped on it. I drive five minutes to my office, don't work the long hours like I did, have great employees under me. Here's the catch, I get paid the same. My wife drives five minutes to her job.. Don't kid yourself and think living in the "city" is so great. When it comes to people, these small "towns" as you described are no different than any community in Pittsburgh. I have never bought a carhart and if I need cornstalks, I walk down the road and cut them from my neighbor's field and I have yet to attend one yard sale on Labor Day weekend. In addition, I have seen only one covered Bridge, I bet Washington County has more. I buy wine from the local wineries, and it tastes the same as any other wine you buy.
Granted, the selection of amenities like shopping and restaurants is slim, but I am at Heinz field into the Red Lot in exactly 1 hour, 25 minutes. I include several Pitt graduates, some even Ivy League educated as my closest friends. My property and wage taxes are low. I just dropped daughter off as a freshman for her first semester at Pitt where she starts at Swanson School of Engineering and was one of 650 incoming freshman with an average SAT score of 1385. So the education system cant be that bad either.
Please come to Red Lot 7A during any Pitt game and meet the rest of the "townfolks", PM beforehand and I will give you my cell, we would be glad to have you at our tailgate.
OK Hunky, I did throw out a stereotype man and I was just having some fun with you. the towns ive been to and travelled to in central pa, everywhere from North Central (have cabin in Wilcox/kane/Clermont PA area) to South central (dated a girl in Bedford for years) to central pa (worked in philipsburg often), these stereotypes seemed to be true more often than not. Really didn't mean to offend.

the city, suburbs and rural America all have pros and cons, to each his own.. truth be told, id much rather live in the rural areas than live in a city. you couldn't pay me enough money to do that again. good if you are single, in your early 20s but that's about it. I am a boring old suburbanite, I chose the middle road. not too exciting, not too boring, just comfortable enough.. but it has it's cons just like anything.

You seem like a very level headed guy so seriously man, no offense meant at all. What town are you from, if you don't mind me asking. 1 hour and 25 minutes away from parking lot doesn't seem that far out there. It takes you 45 minutes from Monroeville, I cant imagine you are too far out there if you can be in lot from your driveway in 85 minutes.. I couldn't even imagine someone from Delmont could make it to Heinz in under an hour and a half on a Saturday..

Last edited:
OK Hunky, I did throw out a stereotype man and I was just having some fun with you. the towns ive been to and travelled to in central pa, everywhere from North Central (have cabin in Wilcox/kane/Clermont PA area) to South central (dated a girl in Bedford for years) to central pa (worked in philipsburg often), these stereotypes seemed to be true more often than not. Really didn't mean to offend.

the city, suburbs and rural America all have pros and cons, to each his own.. truth be told, id much rather live in the rural areas than live in a city. you couldn't pay me enough money to do that again. good if you are single, in your early 20s but that's about it. I am a boring old suburbanite, I chose the middle road. not too exciting, not too boring, just comfortable enough.. but it has it's cons just like anything.

You seem like a very level headed guy so seriously man, no offense meant at all. What town are you from, if you don't mind me asking. 1 hour and 25 minutes away from parking lot doesn't seem that far out there. It takes you 45 minutes from Monroeville, I cant imagine you are too far out there if you can be in lot from your driveway in 85 minutes.. I couldn't even imagine someone from Delmont could make it to Heinz in under an hour and a half on a Saturday..

All good, I am not offended, well slightly...but once I stop crying, I will get over it! Hey...at least you aren't afraid to express your opinion nor do you hide after expressing it. I live in Punxsy, obviously if you have a camp in Clermont, you know where I am at. From where we meet on the south side of town, we zip the back roads to Kittanning and 28 the rest of the way. Ok, maybe I embellished, maybe it would be 1:25 to the off ramp...but not bad either way. This is for most normal games. Other big games maybe 10 minutes more. Coming off 28, there is never any traffic for games. I agree, Monroeville, Delmont...parkway east sucks because of the tunnel. The invite for the tailgate is still there.

Reactions: Swervin27
I tried the 10lb burger after a day of golfing drinking and eating dogs on the course. The crowd watched as I digested all the meat from the burger with sweat pouring off my face and I had already consumed massive quantity's of beer. Got all the extras Onions, tomatoes, more sauce and cheese finished the top of the bun and crapped out. I really didn't feel good for about 2 days, now I know why lions sleep after eating a wildebeast.

For any one that cares ( not sure why you would but none the less) overall it was a good trip. Got up there too late for a real hike, but what little we saw at Parker Dam seemed nice.

The car museum was awesome. My son and I love old cars at they had a lot of pristine examples.

Bruce gun shop was overwhelming to be honest. Since I was not there for anything in particular, just browsing, it was too much for too little time I had. It was a cool place, but to browse that store you need at least 2 to 3 hours maybe even 4 -5 hours. I was there for an a little less than a hour, which made it seem too rushed. Drove by Army and Navy and didn't go in because I assumed I would feel the same way as I did about Grice.

The town was cool, some buildings were run down but most were not. The town seemed clean and lively (for a small rural town) and well kept for the most part. I loved the river running threw, I could see myself throwing the line in if I lived in the area.

Now the main event. Denny's Beer Barrel. 1st the server/service sucks. I explain more later. The wife and I split an order of Honey Garlic wings as an app and they were amazing. My son got boneleas regular hot wings. None of us liked the sauce. I got the Clearfield burger and it was one of the best burgers I ever had. Not sure what type of burger the wife got but she liked it a lot too.

But the sevice, my goodness how do you have rules like that? Yes it stares the rules on the menu but they are stupid rules. My son wanted the sauce on the side. Nope not allowed we left 5 boneless wings unbeaten because the sauce sucked and they drenched it on so inedible to us. My wife did not ask for a subsitution, she simply asked if they could leave honey mustard off the hamburger. You would of thought she asked the waitress to kill a baby or something. She eventually gave in and said she will make sure it off, they probably sub it with boogers an c*m. Part of me says I would like to go back because it was good, but part of me of doesn't because the rules and service suck.

I would like to thank everyone for your opinions and suggestions. It was a great day and I am glad I went.

Thank you,

Mike

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT