ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Duke Football Problems

If Pitt's ever to construct something, I believe building it near the Hot Metal Bridge is the ideal spot. Right down the street from Oakland. Just across the bridge from South Side. Plenty of land. Why the hell not? I don't know if it's feasible, but I'd heard some suggest a second, smaller campus nearby as well.
Maybe you're right. But what good would that do? We'd still be using an off-campus stadium that wouldn't be "walkable" for the students.

Reactions: UPitt '89
Maybe you're right. But what good would that do? We'd still be using an off-campus stadium that wouldn't be "walkable" for the students.
It would be Pitt's own stadium. Situated much, much closer to campus. Realistically walkable too. That's like a 20 minute walk.

It would be Pitt's own stadium. Situated much, much closer to campus. Realistically walkable too. That's like a 20 minute walk.
I can't quote the numbers, but the price of building and maintaining an off-campus stadium for a handful of events each year is probably cost prohibitive.

It's my understanding that Pitt doesn't contribute to maintaining Heinz. (I'll apologize now if that's inaccurate.)

It's not a great walk, but the city is working on a road connecting Oakland and Hazelwood via Panther Hollow.

I can't quote the numbers, but the price of building and maintaining an off-campus stadium for a handful of events each year is probably cost prohibitive.

It's my understanding that Pitt doesn't contribute to maintaining Heinz. (I'll apologize now if that's inaccurate.)

Pitt pays a lot of money each year to rent Heinz.

Pitt pays a lot of money each year to rent Heinz.
I get that. But are maintenance fees built into that?

It costs a ton of money to simply open the doors at Heinz, so does the rent only cover the basics? Or are maintenance costs included, too?

If Pitt's ever to construct something, I believe building it near the Hot Metal Bridge is the ideal spot. Right down the street from Oakland. Just across the bridge from South Side. Plenty of land. Why the hell not? I don't know if it's feasible, but I'd heard some suggest a second, smaller campus nearby as well.
If Pitt can expand its campus and have 2 sections (similar to WVU), then it would be a possibility and make sense. WVU has its Evansdale and Downtown campuses connected by a monorail. Their medical facilities and football stadium are in the same area. Squeezing a new stadium into the middle of Oakland is dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT