ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dune Part Two

I have to watch part 1 over again because this one seems to be getting really good reviews. I thought the original was slow and dry.

Reactions: buckage
I have to watch part 1 over again because this one seems to be getting really good reviews. I thought the original was slow and dry.
I’ve been trying to watch part 1 the last few days. Can’t say it’s bad. But it’s far from good. I never read the book or saw the original in the 80’s so I’m not sure what I’m missing. I respect all the posters here who have said part two is incredible and I believe them. I just am not feeling it yet.

Posted this on the pay board.

Fantastic movie. Most fun I’ve had seeing this type of popcorn flick since Lord of the Rings came out.

Thought the take on Chani was interesting. Didn’t hate it, but I very much wanted Jessica’s closing lines from the book.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The original one was just a cluster. The Dennis Villanueve films are significantly better than that one.

The books were super dense so it’s hard to translate that into a movie.

Reactions: Farnox and DruidTM
I'm a fan of the books and Dune 1. I thought Dune 1 was almost perfect. Very little dialogue for how much speaking there is the quite-long sci-fi books. But Villaneuve lets the camera do the talking for him and man, does it ever. Every single shot is powerful. Nothing is wasted. He perfectly captured the weirdness of Frank Herbert's universe without getting too far out there.

I saw Dune 2 yesterday in IMAX and I thought it was even better. Not as consistent - there were 2 jump cuts to the end that I thought were rough - but the highs were tremendous. There was a scene that almost felt like being on a rollercoaster. Incredibly loud, fast, violent. And I almost lost it at the end with Chani. Zendaya isn't the best actress in the world (I actually thought she was pretty weak in Dune 1) but she so thoroughly conveyed Chani's feelings with just a look that I almost lost it.

I'd give Dune 2 a 9.5/10. One of the best movies of any genre that I have seen in many years. If I didn't have 2 kids under 2 I would see it at least 1 or 2 more times. It's our time's Star Wars. I highly, highly recommend seeing both films.

I'm a fan of the books and Dune 1. I thought Dune 1 was almost perfect. Very little dialogue for how much speaking there is the quite-long sci-fi books. But Villaneuve lets the camera do the talking for him and man, does it ever. Every single shot is powerful. Nothing is wasted. He perfectly captured the weirdness of Frank Herbert's universe without getting too far out there.

I saw Dune 2 yesterday in IMAX and I thought it was even better. Not as consistent - there were 2 jump cuts to the end that I thought were rough - but the highs were tremendous. There was a scene that almost felt like being on a rollercoaster. Incredibly loud, fast, violent. And I almost lost it at the end with Chani. Zendaya isn't the best actress in the world (I actually thought she was pretty weak in Dune 1) but she so thoroughly conveyed Chani's feelings with just a look that I almost lost it.

I'd give Dune 2 a 9.5/10. One of the best movies of any genre that I have seen in many years. If I didn't have 2 kids under 2 I would see it at least 1 or 2 more times. It's our time's Star Wars. I highly, highly recommend seeing both films.
It’s our time’s Lord of the Rings.

LOTR > Star Wars

What’s your point?
Well I think the proof is in the pudding. If it’s like anything they’ve done recently it would be set to lose hundreds of millions. Btw, I haven’t seen Dune 2 yet but it appears that it’s another example of if a movie is good, people will flock to the theaters.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall

Which is interesting because Star Wars borrows so much from Dune

I can’t wait to see Dune 2

Comparing Star Wars, Dune, Rings, Avatar... I'd say we'd have to include Avengers (ironically given an earlier post those are Disney and wildly successful critically and financially). Probably should include Harry Potter too. And, honestly, the Pirates series too ...at least in regards to mega series action/fantasy/scifi.

I did like this Dune more than the 1st part.

Well I think the proof is in the pudding. If it’s like anything they’ve done recently it would be set to lose hundreds of millions. Btw, I haven’t seen Dune 2 yet but it appears that it’s another example of if a movie is good, people will flock to the theaters.
It’s a lazy troll post. It could just as easily be like Endgame and set world records.
Takes imagination. But not a whole lot.
Your post certainly didn’t take imagination. Bargain bin trolling.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It’s a lazy troll post. It could just as easily be like Endgame and set world records.

Your post certainly didn’t take imagination. Bargain bin trolling.
Trolling who though? Is Bob Iger or Kathleen Kennedy on these boards? If someone here has an affinity for a motion picture and entertainment company, so much so that they get offended by someone’s post, then they have major issues. I own Disney stock so I have skin in the game but I’m not offended. I want Disney to get their heads out of the asses and start doing what they used to do best.

Watched Dune Part One on Max again and honestly I felt it was like all first movies in a series. A lot of time spent discussing details of things to help you understand what is going on that never get talked about again. But I get it. It just always bugs me because I already know why water is important and the thumpers and the walk, etc, etc. Part Two just went with the story and it was captvating.

Trolling who though? Is Bob Iger or Kathleen Kennedy on these boards? If someone here has an affinity for a motion picture and entertainment company, so much so that they get offended by someone’s post, then they have major issues. I own Disney stock so I have skin in the game but I’m not offended. I want Disney to get their heads out of the asses and start doing what they used to do best.
Nobody offended here. Just think @HailtoPitt frequently makes lazy and poorly thought out posts about Disney because he’s still mad he can’t live out his power fantasy fanfic through Luke Skywalker anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Nobody offended here. Just think @HailtoPitt frequently makes lazy and poorly thought out posts about Disney because he’s still mad he can’t live out his power fantasy fanfic through Luke Skywalker anymore.
Omg. That’s a solid post. I’m still laughing.

But he’s right about Disney though. …

And I’m still laughing. Well played.

Reactions: Ski11585

Lol. Like that's not trolling?

Look, my point was valid. If Disney was put in charge of Dune, it would have sucked. They would have taken the Paul Atreides character, 'turned him into a chick and made him gay'... as Cartman famously said. They would have focused so much on making up for past racial and gender wrong doings in cinema history, and the result would have been a lack of focus on the actual story. Dennis Villeneuve would have been fired either before filming or shortly after because someone like Kathleen Kennedy wasn't happy that he didn't make Paul Atreides a trans native america war veteran in a wheel chair with blue hair.

I expect Dune Part 2 and Across the Spider-verse to be pretty well regarded as two of the great part twos this decade probably. I preferred Spider-verse but both are big, smart, visually unforgettable sci-fi. Both very successful critically and with audiences.

Look, my point was valid. If Disney was put in charge of Dune, it would have sucked. They would have taken the Paul Atreides character, 'turned him into a chick and made him gay'... as Cartman famously said. They would have focused so much on making up for past racial and gender wrong doings in cinema history, and the result would have been a lack of focus on the actual story. Dennis Villeneuve would have been fired either before filming or shortly after because someone like Kathleen Kennedy wasn't happy that he didn't make Paul Atreides a trans native america war veteran in a wheel chair with blue hair.
To be fair, Guardians just had a part three that was well received by critics and audiences. It's also heroes journey sci-fi fantasy. It's also Disney. It released less than a year ago. It's certainly not Dune but it's not trying to be and they let James Gunn pretty much do his thing for all 3.

It's not like WB didn't just release Aquaman. Or, do some of the same things you just complained about in their new Wonka. I do like that they generally give their filmmakers more rope though.

To be fair, Guardians just had a part three that was well received by critics and audiences. It's also heroes journey sci-fi fantasy. It's also Disney. It released less than a year ago. It's certainly not Dune but it's not trying to be and they let James Gunn pretty much do his thing for all 3.

It's not like WB didn't just release Aquaman. Or, do some of the same things you just complained about in their new Wonka. I do like that they generally give their filmmakers more rope though.

What things do you think I am complaining about? We might not be on the same page.

What things do you think I am complaining about? We might not be on the same page.
The comments about what Disney would do... WB movies have recently done things along those lines for Wonka and Barbie (especially here) but the former was a success and the latter was wildly successful. Disney's just needs to make better movies regardless of casting, etc.

The comments about what Disney would do... WB movies have recently done things along those lines for Wonka and Barbie (especially here) but the former was a success and the latter was wildly successful. Disney's just needs to make better movies regardless of casting, etc.

Correct. Disney is placing their ideology ahead of making good films. Heck, they even hired a director for a Star Wars film who had never even made a movie before, outside of foreign documentaries. That says a lot.

Lol. At least try to make a serious post, my man.

Damn. That’s solid. Lol. Paula Atreides.

And you’re right.
Correct. Disney is placing their ideology ahead of making good films. Heck, they even hired a director for a Star Wars film who had never even made a movie before, outside of foreign documentaries. That says a lot.
the Acolyte? Disney hires a woman to make this series and the only thing she has on her resume that qualifies her for a job under Kathleen Kennedy is that she’s a queer woman. The woman (not sure how she identifies) doesn’t like Star Wars, doesn’t know anything about Star Wars, has never made a movie or show even similar to Star Wars but she was handed the keys to this project. And allegedly she made all the main characters queer and trans.

If Boba Fett, Mando Season 3, Kenobi, Ashoka, etc all flopped and lost the studio money, what are they expecting from this show?

Aside from Avatar 2 which Disney acquired and then distributed, Guardians 3 is the only movie for Disney that made money last year. And it barely made money. That said, you’re right. It was already a successful franchise with a guy leading the franchise that they let do his own thing. And thankfully so.

Edit: I wonder what James Gunn would have done with a Star Wars film. That would have been interesting. But he parlayed his fantastic work into a gig leading DC now so his Disney ship has sailed. And to think that they fired him a few years ago before deciding to bring him back.

Definitely recommend rewatching Part 1 if you haven't read the books. I went to see Part 2 last night, and if I hadn't rewatched the first one just recently, I'd have been lost.

Damn. That’s solid. Lol. Paula Atreides.

And you’re right.

the Acolyte? Disney hires a woman to make this series and the only thing she has on her resume that qualifies her for a job under Kathleen Kennedy is that she’s a queer woman. The woman (not sure how she identifies) doesn’t like Star Wars, doesn’t know anything about Star Wars, has never made a movie or show even similar to Star Wars but she was handed the keys to this project. And allegedly she made all the main characters queer and trans.

If Boba Fett, Mando Season 3, Kenobi, Ashoka, etc all flopped and lost the studio money, what are they expecting from this show?
Cmon man. He's not right. It’s a completely unserious post that operates out of bad faith and hyperbole.

Ironically, Paul Atreides was supposed to be born a girl and married to Feyd-Rautha. Lady Jessica had a boy instead because she went off the reservation, fell in love with Duke Leto and wanted to give him a male heir. That was the whole thing that got House Atreides in trouble with the Bene Gesserit and, ultimately, the Emperor.

Reactions: Ski11585
Cmon man. He's not right. It’s a completely unserious post that operates out of bad faith and hyperbole.
Well it’s speculative for sure what they would do with Dune. But the track record over the past few years speaks for itself. And Bob Iger leaked internal Zoom/Teams meeting statements pretty much explains why Disney has felt their duty to do the things HTP said in his post.

And why do we care if the post was unserious or not? This is a message board full of unserious posts. Some I like and some I don’t. We are here for the entertainment. Your skywalker post wasn’t serious but it was great. And so was his response. Your back and forth is much better than the back and forth between Kenny Heisman and pitt Poker that’s for sure.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
Ironically, Paul Atreides was supposed to be born a girl and married to Feyd-Rautha. Lady Jessica had a boy instead because she went off the reservation, fell in love with Duke Leto and wanted to give him a male heir. That was the whole thing that got House Atreides in trouble with the Bene Gesserit and, ultimately, the Emperor.
Lady Jessica in the movie is very attractive. Almost looks like she could be Paul’s GF.

Lol. At least try to make a serious post, my man.

Sometimes I do, but the point is sill the same. Disney is hellbent on correcting the racial, gender, and equity issues that have been present in the world an in movies. I AGREE with them and I am all for hiring more diverse actors. I don't even mind gender swaps as long as it make sense. The problem is that this seems to have been Disney's primary focus, while the story and quality of many films has been secondary. I mean how hard woule it have been to sit down with some key people and fes out the trilogy arc for he SW sequels? Apparently, that was too much for Kathleen. She's too busy enacting an agenda. And why isn't that agenda applies at the executive level?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT