ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dylan Crews or Paul Skenes

Jan 11, 2012
Just curious..I listen to 93.7 the fan alot, and pretty much at this point they seem pretty much neutral.

I'm all for the bat because the Pirates need more offense without a doubt.

I'm all about the "generational talent" and the must watch atmosphere it'll create alongside Henry Davis, Cruz, Reynolds and Hayes

Hell I even like Wyatt Langford over Skenes. I think Langford is going to be a stud

I'm all for the everyday guys for the organization, as of now. Getting a rocket armed pitcher who can blow his arm out any given outting isn't really appealing to me

Just curious..I listen to 93.7 the fan alot, and pretty much at this point they seem pretty much neutral.

I'm all for the bat because the Pirates need more offense without a doubt.

I'm all about the "generational talent" and the must watch atmosphere it'll create alongside Henry Davis, Cruz, Reynolds and Hayes

Hell I even like Wyatt Langford over Skenes. I think Langford is going to be a stud

I'm all for the everyday guys for the organization, as of now. Getting a rocket armed pitcher who can blow his arm out any given outting isn't really appealing to me
I don’t know what the analytics say, but I don’t think they should live in their fears.

Crews may not sign if they draft him. Scenes could blow out his arm. This is what people on both sides of the argument say. For me, they need to take who they like and don’t worry about what could happen.

Personally I like Scenes. He’s a really big boy. It’s not like he’s 180lbs and throwing 103mph. Maybe his body absorbs some of that torque? I’m no expert on physics and physiology. But that’s who I’d take.

I think, or at least I hope, it’s Crews. I’d be perfectly fine with Skenes, but Crews seems like a generational prospect. It’d be unwise of him to “pass” on the Pirates when the next potential destination would be Detroit at #3. He’d end up losing a few million as a result all because of a grudge that Scott Boras holds.

Crews doesn’t have a ton of leverage assuming he wants to play ball and begin developing next Spring. If the Pirates pass, Nats pass, the Tigers will take him at 3, but there’s no way they’re paying him 10 million. Boras could end up screwing Crews over pretty badly if he’s not careful.

For the money that the #1 is slotted, im hoping that they take Crews. Take the everyday player. Odds are, they take a high school kid, who they can sign on the cheap, and is 5 yrs away!

Reactions: pittmeister
From what I've read, this draft has a lot of talent. It might make sense to go underslot with pick 1 and sign guys rounds 2 3 and 4 overslot. Crews is not a can't miss guy like a Harper or Strasburg. Skenes is pretty tempting though.

Reactions: Zepley09
If I'm making the decision, I'm going with Crews. Here are the reasons...

1. We have a much bigger sample size on Crews. That is important. He's not a one year wonder, flash in the pan. He's been the consensus #1 pick for more than a year.

2. Crews is an everyday player. Better chance to make a difference in every game.

3. He has all 5 tools.

Why not draft Skenes:

1. Tommy John surgery is on the rise. The reason it is happening is because pitchers are throwing much harder at a younger age. Skenes may have the frame to with stand the wear and tear, but other injuries may happen as well. An everyday player can recover and still be a productive player. Whereas an injury to a pitcher can mess them up for long periods of time (ankle, knee, hand, wrist, foot, etc).

2. A much smaller sample size than Crews

My pick in order would be: Crews, Langford (best power hitting prospect) and then Skenes.

I don’t know what the analytics say, but I don’t think they should live in their fears.

Crews may not sign if they draft him. Scenes could blow out his arm. This is what people on both sides of the argument say. For me, they need to take who they like and don’t worry about what could happen.

Personally I like Scenes. He’s a really big boy. It’s not like he’s 180lbs and throwing 103mph. Maybe his body absorbs some of that torque? I’m no expert on physics and physiology. But that’s who I’d take.
Agree

It’s hard to pick between a staff ace stopper like Skenes and an everyday all star center fielder

My own personal option (and we all know about opinions) after watching the CWS is Langford has the higher ceiling than Crews. he’s faster and I think will hit with more power. He also didn’t have the protection in the order like Crews did. Whoever gets Langford is going to get a great player

But any of the three would be great pickups for the pirates. Anyone outside of that especially a high school player would be so pirate like

From what I've read, this draft has a lot of talent. It might make sense to go underslot with pick 1 and sign guys rounds 2 3 and 4 overslot. Crews is not a can't miss guy like a Harper or Strasburg. Skenes is pretty tempting though.

If they came out of this without one of those two, the PR hit might be insurmountable.

Reactions: indoorgolf
Me: Skenes.

Reality: the pirates sign somebody else they can sign on the cheap and let the cream top someone else's coffee. They now have extra money to sign lesser people.later in the draft, none of which do.anything in the big leagues.

Exactly. Both studs. Take one and pay him slot value. Go off the board and pay less for a not top 2 prospect will be crushing on top of the cheap image buccos have established.

Image needs to be changed and this is a start.

It's honestly at a point where it would be too risky to take anyone other than those two, even if that's what they truly believed was best.

Fans are adamant about one or the other and wouldn't let them live it down. They should also both be ready to play soon, which coincides with our window.

Final CBS Mock Draft:

FWIW, the Athletic's final mock draft today had the Pirates taking Langford. Their logic is that Crews wants a lot more than slot and the Pirates aren't going to want to do that, and that they would prefer one of the bats to Skenes. They (Keith Law, really) also say that Max Clark is still a possibility because apparently he and his family want him to be the first overall pick so badly that they are willing to take well less than slot to be picked first.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
FWIW, the Athletic's final mock draft today had the Pirates taking Langford. Their logic is that Crews wants a lot more than slot and the Pirates aren't going to want to do that, and that they would prefer one of the bats to Skenes. They (Keith Law, really) also say that Max Clark is still a possibility because apparently he and his family want him to be the first overall pick so badly that they are willing to take well less than slot to be picked first.
This is the year where I’d pay well over slot to sign the first overall pick. I see a lot of people referencing the 2021 Draft class, but there was no clear cut top choice in that draft so it made sense to go “cheap” at #1 and have a large slot pool for the other picks. I’d argue this class is the complete opposite, at least on paper.

This is the year where I’d pay well over slot to sign the first overall pick. I see a lot of people referencing the 2021 Draft class, but there was no clear cut top choice in that draft so it made sense to go “cheap” at #1 and have a large slot pool for the other picks. I’d argue this class is the complete opposite, at least on paper.

I disagree. With there being five different guys that people are saying could have been the number one overall pick in a different year this is exactly the year to make the guy you pick take under slot, and if they won't you move on to the next guy.

Let's say they have them rated Crews, Skenes, Langford and Clark, and they have those four guys all rated relatively equal. They should be going to Crews and offering him a little more than the slot for the second pick, and if he refuses they should then go to Skenes with the same offer. If he declines then you move on to Langford and see if he takes it. And if not you always (apparently) have the fall back position of taking the guy that a lot of people think has the most talent in the whole draft and who is willing to take way under slot to sign.

If there was one player head and shoulders above the rest, THAT is the time to take that player first and pay what you have to to sign him. This year isn't one of those years.

I disagree. With there being five different guys that people are saying could have been the number one overall pick in a different year this is exactly the year to make the guy you pick take under slot, and if they won't you move on to the next guy.

Let's say they have them rated Crews, Skenes, Langford and Clark, and they have those four guys all rated relatively equal. They should be going to Crews and offering him a little more than the slot for the second pick, and if he refuses they should then go to Skenes with the same offer. If he declines then you move on to Langford and see if he takes it. And if not you always (apparently) have the fall back position of taking the guy that a lot of people think has the most talent in the whole draft and who is willing to take way under slot to sign.

If there was one player head and shoulders above the rest, THAT is the time to take that player first and pay what you have to to sign him. This year isn't one of those years.
That’s a fair argument. I just keep coming back to Crews (or Skenes) because although several of them could’ve been the top pick in many years, it still feel like those two are a tier above the others in contention. I’m just a causal follower for this draft coverage though, so maybe you (and the consensus) see it differently?

I'll eat my hat if they take a high school player this year. Everyone is beyond sick of the "answers" being years away. Davis, Hayes, Rodriguez, Cruz, Reynolds... I mean, the time is now. Not even Big Balls Bob has the plums to pull this move. Just too many big-name college options.

Do people understand how their draft pool money works? They around 16 million to use on the whole draft. If they are not loading up on the first pick then they can draft and pay over slot on multiple picks. They are not “being cheap”, they are deciding between strategies. Take a few minutes to look at the top 3 picks over the last 15 years. There were many “can’t miss” players that never made it.

Is it illegal to sign , go on OR and get Tommy Jon surgery ?
That seems to be the miracle cure for every pitcher at the major league level . Or whatever level ..

No. This is not the draft I want to hear anything about underslot. Take the best player. It’d be like an NFL team passing on Caleb Williams this year in favor of a high school recruit.

I’d take Crews, but would be fine with Skenes. You shouldn’t not take a power pitcher because you’re worried about Tommy John.

Well......I mentioned this a few weeks ago. While Crews is considered the safest pick to be an All Star player. Skenes and even Langford have a higher ceiling. Crews has a higher floor. The two HS players IMO because of the timeline just don't make sense.

I would pick Skenes. I mean the Pirates just simply don't have a chance to add a true Ace, a true Cy Young candidate.

1) Crews, a Boras client will definitely be gone in 5 years. Boras does not allow his clients to accept team friendly contracts that buy out the arbitration years. So The Pirates will trade him after 4 1/2-5 years. I don't care if the Pirates offer say a 5year $200 million contract, Boras is going to see what the open market will offer. Plus there is no guarantee that Crews gives you more power than Cruz or Suwinski.

2) Skenes, gives you an ace. Gives you a Cy Young candidate. Top of the rotation guy. Remember those one game winner take all scenarios where the Bucs faced Bumgardner or Arrieta? The Pirates start contending in 2024, but really probably 2025. Window is 2025-2028. Skenes is more advanced than Cole. Plus you don't have an idiot pitching philosophy of "pitch to contact" so Skenes power won't be muted like Cole's was (as was Morton and Glasnow). So Skenes becomes the Ace of the staff you expect to be at the top of the NL Central. You have Keller for at least 3 years. I wouldn't get overly disappointed in Contreras this year, remember Keller the first half of last year and the year before. He can "find it". I like the arms of Oviedo, Ortiz and Bido. One of them can devlop into a starter, also Priester and hopefully at least Solemeto is close. At this point, you can acquire a bat for some of these arms. Skenes gives the Pirates something that they can't get anywhere else. Crews doesn't.

3) I am almost accepting of Langford over Crews just because of the power upside. He also can run. He may not be the best OF, but if the guy tops out at 40HR's, and Crews 28-32, I don't know.

I think the Pirates have to draft Skenes. Again, people bring up Strasburg and his arm problems and he is out of baseball. Okay. I get that. But Strasburg was 6'10" and that had to elongate his delivery. Also, Strasburg won a World Series MVP. He had 8 full seasons (his first two were babied) . Cole never had TJ surgery (yet). Verlander had it well into his 30's. Those are the guys Skenes is most compared with. People talk about the innings Skenes pitched this year, but overall,as a position player turned into a pitcher, his overall innings is fairly low for college pitcher his age. My final point, if Skenes develops arm issues down the road, likely 7-8-9 seasons or beyond, he will be pitching for someone else.

Draft Skenes.

Last edited:
Well......I mentioned this a few weeks ago. While Crews is considered the safest pick to be an All Star player. Skenes and even Langford have a higher ceiling. Crews has a higher floor. The two HS players IMO because of the timeline just don't make sense.

I would pick Skenes. I mean the Pirates just simply don't have a chance to add a true Ace, a true Cy Young candidate.

1) Crews, a Boras client will definitely be gone in 5 years. Boras does not allow his clients to accept team friendly contracts that buy out the arbitration years. So The Pirates will trade him after 4 1/2-5 years. I don't care if the Pirates offer say a 5year $200 million contract, Boras is going to see what the open market will offer. Plus there is no guarantee that Crews gives you more power than Cruz or Suwinski.

2) Skenes, gives you an ace. Gives you a Cy Young candidate. Top of the rotation guy. Remember those one game winner take all scenarios where the Bucs faced Bumgardner or Arrieta? The Pirates start contending in 2024, but really probably 2025. Window is 2025-2028. Skenes is more advanced than Cole. Plus you don't have an idiot pitching philosophy of "pitch to contact" so Skenes power won't be muted like Cole's was (as was Morton and Glasnow). So Skenes becomes the Ace of the staff you expect to be at the top of the NL Central. You have Keller for at least 3 years. I wouldn't get overly disappointed in Contreras this year, remember Keller the first half of last year and the year before. He can "find it". I like the arms of Oviedo, Ortiz and Bido. One of them can devlop into a starter, also Priester and hopefully at least Solemeto is close. At this point, you can acquire a bat for some of these arms. Skenes gives the Pirates something that they can't get anywhere else. Crews doesn't.

3) I am almost accepting of Langford over Crews just because of the power upside. He also can run. He may not be the best OF, but if the guy tops out at 40HR's, and Crews 28-32, I don't know.

I think the Pirates have to draft Skenes. Again, people bring up Strasburg and his arm problems and he is out of baseball. Okay. I get that. But Strasburg was 6'10" and that had to elongate his delivery. Also, Strasburg won a World Series MVP. He had 8 full seasons (his first two were babied) . Cole never had TJ surgery (yet). Verlander had it well into his 30's. Those are the guys Skenes is most compared with. People talk about the innings Skenes pitched this year, but overall,as a position player turned into a pitcher, his overall innings is fairly low for college pitcher his age. My final point, if Skenes develops arm issues down the road, likely 7-8-9 seasons or beyond, he will be pitching for someone else.

Draft Skenes.
This is a good argument. I’d be fine with Skenes. It was pretty exciting to see him get into the eighth inning and still throw 100+ mph. The other argument in favor of Skenes is that one could argue that our outfield could be already set.

Reynolds is here for the long haul. Davis likely isn’t playing catcher, and Suwinski’s power gives him longevity. Perhaps Cruz even gets moved to right field at some point, but those are four guys who are more than capable of starting out there.

Obviously that changes if Crews gets drafted and we’d move people around, but we won’t be hurting if we don’t land another All-Star outfielder. We would, however, be hurting if we don’t have an All-Star starting pitcher.

This is a good argument. I’d be fine with Skenes. It was pretty exciting to see him get into the eighth inning and still throw 100+ mph. The other argument in favor of Skenes is that one could argue that our outfield could be already set.

Reynolds is here for the long haul. Davis likely isn’t playing catcher, and Suwinski’s power gives him longevity. Perhaps Cruz even gets moved to right field at some point, but those are four guys who are more than capable of starting out there.

Obviously that changes if Crews gets drafted and we’d move people around, but we won’t be hurting if we don’t land another All-Star outfielder. We would, however, be hurting if we don’t have an All-Star starting pitcher.
Right. And perhaps if you draft Langford, he becomes your first baseman. The Pirates are handicapped by having corner IF, typically power positions, having little.

@recruitsreadtheseboards ok, I did not know this about Paul Skenes until now:

Prior to 2023, he played two seasons at the Air Force academy. He was awarded the John Olerud Award as the best two-way player in baseball in 2022. In those two seasons, he hit for .367 at hit 24 home runs/85 RBIs.

Could he be the next Shohei Ohtani (apologies for the hyperbole)? Have him pitch and and then play DH on off-days. I might be all-in on Skenes now!

Prior to 2023, he played two seasons at the Air Force academy. He was awarded the John Olerud Award as the best two-way player in baseball in 2022. In those two seasons, he hit for .367 at hit 24 home runs/85 RBIs.

Could he be the next Shohei Ohtani (apologies for the hyperbole)? Have him pitch and and then play DH on off-days. I might be all-in on Skenes now!
Maybe the next John Van Benschoeten.

Draft Skenes.
Good post. I'd be fine with Langford as well based on everything I've read, particularly having a higher ceiling than Crews with the power numbers.

Another reason to pick Skenes. From what people say who covered him, his military background and personality is just what the clubhouse needs. He’s a leader. From the sounds of it he’s another AJ Burnett. And Crews is said to be more reserved. Not a bad seed by any means…just reserved. So I’m even more in the Skenes camp.

Another reason to pick Skenes. From what people say who covered him, his military background and personality is just what the clubhouse needs. He’s a leader. From the sounds of it he’s another AJ Burnett. And Crews is said to be more reserved. Not a bad seed by any means…just reserved. So I’m even more in the Skenes camp.
All good points. This may be a silly question, but would Skenes be obligated to any military service having spent time at the Air Force? Or is he removed from that since he never graduated from the academy?

No. This is not the draft I want to hear anything about underslot. Take the best player. It’d be like an NFL team passing on Caleb Williams this year in favor of a high school recruit.

It's not like that at all, and if you really think that then you apparently don't understand the differences between the NFL draft and the MLB draft.

The Pirates have $16,185,700 dollars to spend on draft bonuses. They will almost certainly spend every penny of that on players. The only way they won't is if they do something stupid like draft a player number one overall that wants too much money so that they can't sign him. That's why they will know how much it's going to take to sign whomever they pick. Maybe not down to the exact dollar, but they'll know an approximate number.

Because they will spend all the money they have available, the issue isn't how much can they give to any one player, it's what is the best way to maximize the amount of talent they can get for the dollars that they are going to spend. Especially in a draft that everyone seems to think is really deep with potentially good players, sometimes spreading the money out more and getting three or four good players is a better idea than taking the top guy but only getting one or two good players.

There is nothing at all like that in the NFL.

Reactions: Ski11585

Draft Skenes.

At this point I also think that if they dollars work he's the guy that I pick.

Having said that, I do not think that the Pirates are going to pick him. If they do I will be pleasantly surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT