ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Google - Nest Wifi Pro thoughts?

joeydavid

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
I have Fios (1Gig) and need better coverage throughout a 3 story 5100 sq/ft house. The Verizon tech suggested using a Google Nest WiFi which puts me outside my basic knowledge. Running a new line throughout the house isn't possible (so odd that people didn't plan for the internet in the 1800s but I digress).

I figure the Pantherlair braintrust would have some thoughts on the Nest or other options to consider.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 4 story 6100 sq/ft house with a 4 car garage and a finished basement with all the amenities. I also have a very large W-2 (1%er) and a smokin' hot wife with kids who are at IVY league schools. My crank is also well above average. The google Nest wifi is very good and works well, it will even get you extended coverage outside. At a minimum, I would go with 3.

I have Fios (1Gig) and need better coverage throughout a 3 story 5100 sq/ft house. The Verizon tech suggested using a Google Nest WiFi which puts me outside my basic knowledge. Running a new line throughout the house isn't possible (so odd that people didn't plan for the internet in the 1800s but I digress).

I figure the Pantherlair braintrust would have some thoughts on the Nest or other options to consider.

Thanks in advance.
You need a bigger house. Build from scratch this time.

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
I have a 4 story 6100 sq/ft house with a 4 car garage and a finished basement with all the amenities. I also have a very large W-2 (1%er) and a smokin' hot wife with kids who are at IVY league schools. My crank is also well above average. The google Nest wifi is very good and works well, it will even get you extended coverage outside. At a minimum, I would go with 3.

Does the crank ever lean to one side?

• Haha
Reactions: jivecat
"

That's awesome lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Can't add anything on Nest, but my cable installer recommended an Orbi mesh system a few years ago. I went with it and it has worked flawlessly in a 3,200 sf 2-level house.

I have a one-room cardboard box under the freeway here in Las Vegas. My reception is poor due to the fact that the overpass above me is concrete and the free wifi the city offers seems to be bouncing off it and not making it to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I nominate this for best/funniest post of the year.

Thanks in advance.
My crank and my home are pretty average but I put in an eero mesh system a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it. I added a node in my garage this past summer to cover some outside space we use pretty often and I was happy with how it worked. Can't speak to the Google Nest but the eero (Amazon) was very simple to set up and use. I like having the app on my phone so I can manage the system (block devices) or do the rare reset. Can also pause my kid's phone when she gets too distracted. Very stable.

Google Nest is essentially functioning as a mesh router / network. It would be fine, as would the others mentioned in this thread.

Matt Foley Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: rpastir
I won't discuss my homes, my autos, my large crank, or my hot wife.
My sheep are smoking, and my dog is massive.
I installed (actually my ice hockey teammate who does IT for a living did it...) a TP-LINK mesh system in our Airbnb property a few months ago. 3 access points covers the entire property. You can program them to different log ins or all the same. It's been really stable and eliminated the messages from guests not able to figure out the internet. Except for the dumbass who unplugged the wired one to charge his phone then couldn't figure out why "no wifi!".
Netgear also sells powerline adaptors, if you want wired access. These have a power plug and LAN port. It then runs the internet through your powerlines and you plug in the other access points and you have a wired connection.

Reactions: ratking17

Thanks in advance.
Just get a Fios extender

Works well for my 3 story brick house

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT