ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Pittsburgh Media Person that Stayed in PGH

Stories about the late "Gunner", are legendary...An old friend (now deceased) told me lots; here are a few.
One night he, the Gunner, & another guy were on their way home through the tunnels , to Mt. Lebo.They had
all had much to drink, but Gunner insisted he could drive(he had a convertible)One of the guys on a dare, stood on the trunk lid & "tunnel surfed" through the tubes. When they came out on the southern end, Gunner insisted he had to try it, & they went back the opposite way to downtown. My buddy also told me Gunner was quite a ladies man. One night he was holding court in a downtown watering hole with the boys, and a guy comes up to Prince & says angrily " that happens to be my wife you're hitting on!" I was told Gunner replied; "my friend, I am NOT trying to steal your wife! I may, however, want to borrow her for a little while!" I was told he was quite the character
Beano had some good Gunner stories in his book. It must have really been fun to be in the local sports media in 60's and 70's.

Forgot to add this to my earlier post; for those too young to have heard & watched Bob "Ole Gunner"
Prince: he was a Pitt grad, and varsity letterman in swimming!

Don’t forget Vinnie Riccicci (sp). He once said the Pitt- WVU basketball rivalry was good and too bad they never really had one in football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT