ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Tag Teams of All Time

Mikefln

Junior
Oct 15, 2015
Why the hell not, we talk about a bunch of other stupid crap on here. To me the # 1 tag team stands above all others and I cant see how anyone says different. This is going to be more heavy from the 80's to early 2000s, hell I couldn't even name a team from like 2004 to today.

My top 5

1) The Road Warriors Hawk & Animal (RIP)
2 The Steiner Brothers
3) Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson
4) The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane version w/ Cornette)
5) Rock n' Roll Express

HM (in no order):
Demolition, The Blackjacks, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Dudley Boys, Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik

Reactions: pittbend
file_188753_0_hart%20foundation(2)-e1555597969272.jpg

Why the hell not, we talk about a bunch of other stupid crap on here. To me the # 1 tag team stands above all others and I cant see how anyone says different. This is going to be more heavy from the 80's to early 2000s, hell I couldn't even name a team from like 2004 to today.

My top 5

1) The Road Warriors Hawk & Animal (RIP)
2 The Steiner Brothers
3) Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson
4) The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane version w/ Cornette)
5) Rock n' Roll Express

HM (in no order):
Demolition, The Blackjacks, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Dudley Boys, Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik

This list probably just about covers it.

Road Warriors are #1 and as good as some of the rest were number 2 still isn’t even close.

Edit - Hardy Boys should be on there somewhere as well. Probably Edge and Christian too.

Last edited:
Big Cornette fan but haven't seen a lot of the classic Midnight Express matches. Ditto the Rock n Roll Express.

No order but just some of my favorite teams to watch:

1. Hart Foundation. Bret is my favorite ever- enough said.
2. Bulldog and Owen- underrated, better than you'd think.
3. Heavenly Bodies (mark 2, with Grove City's own Gigilo Jimmy Del Ray. Weirdly he is one of my all time favorites in the ring.)
4. Steiner Brothers.
5. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. but really Arn was good with anyone.
6. Twin Towers- somehow stupidly entertaining.
7. Hollywood Blondes! Saw some of their stuff in the past year and they really were that much fun to watch. Good promo too.

Oh, and anyone know a good place to start with the Varsity Club? Loved IRS, figured I'd like Mike Rotundo as a jock heel.

Not the greatest, but for entertainment/heel value:

Money Inc
Harlem Heat
Bushwackers
British Bulldogs

Also, before my time, but Killer Kowalski and Big John Studd as the masked Executioners managed by Captain Lou would have been awesome to watch.

Reactions: ButtPilgrim2
Oh, and anyone know a good place to start with the Varsity Club? Loved IRS, figured I'd like Mike Rotundo as a jock heel.

The Varsity Club I consider more a stable then a tag team. But those guys minus Sullivan (who was just brilliant no matter the gimmick) were all legit college wrestlers. Rotundo really did wrestle for Syracuse, Stiener really did wrestle for Michigan, Steve Williams played football and Wrestled at Oklahoma. That is what made it so believable.

Not the greatest, but for entertainment/heel value:

Money Inc
Harlem Heat
Bushwackers
British Bulldogs

Also, before my time, but Killer Kowalski and Big John Studd as the masked Executioners managed by Captain Lou would have been awesome to watch.

I was going to add Harlem Heat, but it was more for Booker T then anything.

Coolest/intimidating/loudest pop - Road Warriors - I watched them wrestle the Steiners in 1987/88/89 in downtown Baltimore. I can't remember the year but I was in grade school. I saw them later in Hershey and they really began to slow down in the WWF years.

Best workers - Arn/Tully

Most legit - The Steiners

Underrated -

The Freebirds - I laugh every time I see an old Michael PS Hayes entrance. That damn "bad street" song cracks me up.

Demolition - I know they were a Road Warriors rip off but I've seen shoots where many think they were much better workers. Many in the industry thought the LOD were very stiff and wouldn't sell anything but Demolition would.

New Jack and Mustafa weren’t very good workers in the squared circle, but they had great entrance music and worked as stiff (no homo) in the ring as anyone outside of the Steiners.

Was a big fan of Afa and Sika as a kid as well.

Rob Van Dam and Sabu had a great run for a while in ECW.

Reactions: Dan1911
Coolest/intimidating/loudest pop - Road Warriors - I watched them wrestle the Steiners in 1987/88/89 in downtown Baltimore. I can't remember the year but I was in grade school. I saw them later in Hershey and they really began to slow down in the WWF years.

Best workers - Arn/Tully

Most legit - The Steiners

Underrated -

The Freebirds - I laugh every time I see an old Michael PS Hayes entrance. That damn "bad street" song cracks me up.

Demolition - I know they were a Road Warriors rip off but I've seen shoots where many think they were much better workers. Many in the industry thought the LOD were very stiff and wouldn't sell anything but Demolition would.

Demolition were way better in terms of wrestling skill and knowledge.

Woke up this morning and thought "now why on Earth didn't I mention the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers?"

A little know fact but Axe is from little old Brownsville, PA.

Bill Eadie. Was one of my favorite wrestlers... also known as The Masked Superstar

Greatest Tag Teams:
-Masked Superstars #1 and #2 (#2 was Big John Studd from Butler!)
-The Masked Grapplers
-The Moondogs
-The Machines (Eadie was Super Machine, Andre as Giant Machine, Blackjack Mulligan as Big Machine) then it got outta control Hulk Hogan as Hulk Machine, Piper machine, etc...

I think like Vince McMahon, where I always viewed tag teams as lesser than singles competitors. This is very much the opposite of the NWA and other older territories, which would sometimes have cards comprised of predominantly tag team matches. If we're going just by look/entrance/music, I think you have to have teams like Harlem Heat, The Natural Disasters, The Legion of Doom, The Hollywood Blondes, etc. up there. The Steiner Brothers are always a good pick, though they had a reputation for really roughing some jobbers up, which isn't cool. The British Bulldogs have to be up there, I guess... The Dynamite Kid was pretty ahead of his time. I guess the same goes for The Hart Foundation... especially Bret. There are plenty of makeshift tag teams that could make the list, but they feel sort of disingenuous to the premise.

I can tell you a few championship-caliber teams who I always hated watching wresting... The Nasty Boys, Money Incorporated, and The Smoking Guns. Not sure what it was about them, but I jut wasn't feeling any of them.

Mr. Fuji & Masa Saito should be mentioned. Fuji was a heat machine, I once saw a some hillbilly who made the trek from West Virginia or Westmorland County to the Civic Arena throw a beer he just purchased(hadn't even taken a sip) at Fuji after the devious one slyly kicked one of the Strongbow's in the nuts. Saito was a legit ass kicker, legit Olympic Wrestler(unlike the Iron Sheik who never made it that far), and legit beat up the entire Waukesha, Wisconsin Police Department.

I think like Vince McMahon, where I always viewed tag teams as lesser than singles competitors. This is very much the opposite of the NWA and other older territories, which would sometimes have cards comprised of predominantly tag team matches. If we're going just by look/entrance/music, I think you have to have teams like Harlem Heat, The Natural Disasters, The Legion of Doom, The Hollywood Blondes, etc. up there. The Steiner Brothers are always a good pick, though they had a reputation for really roughing some jobbers up, which isn't cool. The British Bulldogs have to be up there, I guess... The Dynamite Kid was pretty ahead of his time. I guess the same goes for The Hart Foundation... especially Bret. There are plenty of makeshift tag teams that could make the list, but they feel sort of disingenuous to the premise.

I can tell you a few championship-caliber teams who I always hated watching wresting... The Nasty Boys, Money Incorporated, and The Smoking Guns. Not sure what it was about them, but I jut wasn't feeling any of them.

Couldn't agree more on the Nasty Boys. Whenever they came on it was bathroom time. I see you mentioned Harlem Heat. I struggle with them. Going back to your first sentence, I was a huge Booker T fan, but Stevie Ray just didn't move the needle at all. I was very happy when they split and Booker went to singles.

Couldn't agree more on the Nasty Boys. Whenever they came on it was bathroom time. I see you mentioned Harlem Heat. I struggle with them. Going back to your first sentence, I was a huge Booker T fan, but Stevie Ray just didn't move the needle at all. I was very happy when they split and Booker went to singles.

Yeah, I can't think of a single Harlem Heat match I remember liking, to be honest. I just really liked their look/entrance music. Kind of the same as the Natural Disasters, for me... they were more of a spectacle, and I never expected to see any great matches from them (though I'm sure they had a few).

NWA/WCW's best tag team era was probably when most of the teams (other than the Steiners, Doom, and a few others) were made up out of shape dudes who looked like they should be hanging out at a bar instead of wrestling professionally.

I watch a lot of wrestling podcasts. I stopped watching wrestling in the late 90's, but I very much enjoy hearing them shoot on everything that was going on behind the scenes. One interesting tidbit I learned was that the Rockers actually won the titles once, but they never aired the match or acknowledged the victory after it happened. Someone else said the Undertaker and IRS could have teamed up to form a team called Death and Taxes, which would have been pretty funny.

The one good thing about Harlem Heat is that they are effectively Booker T handicap matches.

Mr. Fuji & Masa Saito should be mentioned. Fuji was a heat machine, I once saw a some hillbilly who made the trek from West Virginia or Westmorland County to the Civic Arena throw a beer he just purchased(hadn't even taken a sip) at Fuji after the devious one slyly kicked one of the Strongbow's in the nuts. Saito was a legit ass kicker, legit Olympic Wrestler(unlike the Iron Sheik who never made it that far), and legit beat up the entire Waukesha, Wisconsin Police Department.

Sheik wrestled in the 1968 Olympics.

He also coached team USA in the 70's.

He was a fantastic amateur wrestler.

Reactions: TFBaum
Sheik wrestled in the 1968 Olympics.

He also coached team USA in the 70's.

He was a fantastic amateur wrestler.
Sheiky Baby never made the 1968 Iranian Greco-Roman Team, but after he moved to the US he won an AAU Championship and was an assistant coach for the 1972 US team. He also helped train Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat in the ways of pro wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT