ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Tag Teams of All Time

The Horsemen definitely crossed my mind as did the Von Erichs and Fabulous Freebirds but I was sticking to true 2 man tag teams.

Maybe that’s another topic - best factions.
A lot of great factions. The Hart Foundation 1997 held almost all the gold. Thought the Nation of Domination was underrated; an aggressive Farooq and young Rock made it legit.

Re: factions: 1997's Hart Foundation takes the cake for me as the best of these and the high point of Bret Hart's career. The thing with the Horsemen is that they went through so many iterations that it's hard to have a completely sunny view of them. Some of those iterations are probably better than the Hart Foundation, and some had Paul Roma involved. There's only one iteration of the Hart Foundation as a stable, and it had Bret Hart on top of his game and Owen Hart as a strong #2. At this point in their careers, it's hard for me to say that they weren't better than Flair and Arn- maybe it wasn't Owen's peak as a performer, but it wasn't like Owen Hart had too many bad matches ever. Pillman was past his peak (actually, he was nearer his peak when he was a Horseman!) but Bulldog was a solid #3 or #4 - depends on where you rank him with Pillman at that time in his career- than, say, the Nation of Domination ever had. Neidhart as your fifth guy is not a bad fifth guy at all, but you obviously don't want him higher. #3 and #4 of the Horsemen were certainly better than this in their best iterations, but this may be a diminishing returns sort of thing after the first two- it really depends on your point of view and I'd accept either stance.

They even had a few defining matches, most notably the Calgary Stampede 10 man tag match, but Bret vs. Undertaker at Summerslam 97 is what made me a fan of that era of wrestling for life- gotta confess I haven't watched in almost 10 years now.

The best iterations of the Four Horsemen had to be better at the time, but they sort of dragged their legacy through the mud to the point that they're "just" number 2 for me. Flair had plenty of classic matches, so did the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, but don't bring up their alliance match with the Dungeon of Doom, please.

I didn't watch much WCW at that time (again, was a Bret Hart fan) but the NWO always seemed overly bloated after you got past the initial 3 or 4 guys. Definitely influential and something everyone remembers, though. But what's the best NWO match? Isn't it Bash at the Beach 96, which is, you know, a tag match?

Last edited:
There was a documentary series on Vice called The Dark Side of the Ring. They had an episode called The Life and Crimes of New Jack. If you ever get a chance to see it, watch it. Suffice to say, unlike many wrestlers New Jacks in ring persona wasn't all that much different than he actually was in real life.

@Joe the Panther Fan

The talks show reviewing the 1st 2 seasons starts tonight if interested. And if not interested it still starts tonight.

9pm still on Vice

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I was at that one, too. I was a kid and my faith in Bret was unshakeable. I blamed the American wrestling fans for his behavior and noted how he was still cheered everywhere else. My friend I went with turned on him at that line, though.

Didn't the crowd start chanting "Here We Go Steelers" at or around that point?

Reactions: Mikefln
I was at that one, too. I was a kid and my faith in Bret was unshakeable. I blamed the American wrestling fans for his behavior and noted how he was still cheered everywhere else. My friend I went with turned on him at that line, though.

Didn't the crowd start chanting "Here We Go Steelers" at or around that point?

They did. Bret kept talking through it but it was so loud you couldn't understand anything he said.

1. Ivan Putski and Tito Santana
2. The Samoans
3. The Yukon Lumberjacks
4. Baron Scicluna and Smasher Sloan

Last edited:
The outcome is choregraphed for sure. And, they often get together to plan the match. But, sometimes the match while not "real" is adlibbed. The dancer/actor comparison is pretty accurate. Personally, I think they're more like stunt men.

So you’re saying this isn’t real?

Provide sources, please.

If there was a Pantherlair Survivor Series (4 person tag team), who would be on your team?

I'm going with Pitt79, PittPoker, and DelPanther. We'd be the heels.

gary2, pittbball80, and WeaverIsComing, and Gunga_Galunga would be the MAGA team

The Panthers, Recruits, Swervin, and DT would be the fan-favorites

• Haha
Reactions: WeaverIsComing
If there was a Pantherlair Survivor Series (4 person tag team), who would be on your team?

gary2, pittbball80, and WeaverIsComing, and Gunga_Galunga would be the MAGA team

I would be the manager

So, you’re saying it’s fake, too?
it's fake in the sense that most of the moves would knock someone out or cripple them or kill them if done 'for real'

used to be most guys worked at least a little stiff because it looks like garbage if you dont... like most wrestling looks today because very few guys work even a little stiff now

good luck heels. fan favorite is whoever is fighting you.

Why the hell not, we talk about a bunch of other stupid crap on here. To me the # 1 tag team stands above all others and I cant see how anyone says different. This is going to be more heavy from the 80's to early 2000s, hell I couldn't even name a team from like 2004 to today.

My top 5

1) The Road Warriors Hawk & Animal (RIP)
2 The Steiner Brothers
3) Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson
4) The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane version w/ Cornette)
5) Rock n' Roll Express

HM (in no order):
Demolition, The Blackjacks, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Dudley Boys, Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik

Former Pitt football player Matt Bloom aka Prince Albert, Albert, A-Train and Lord Tensai. He partnered with Test. Prince Albert was a two-time tag-team champion.

He had a whole slew of cool ring names: Baldo, Big Buford, Giant Bernard, Jason Albert, Rusher Road and Sweet T.

Reactions: ButtPilgrim2
Until recently, pro wrestling wasn't as scripted as most people believe. Yes, the winners were pre-determined. But it was mostly ad hoc, other than hitting a few "spots" in the match. Now, it looks more like synchronized dancing and is pretty much unwatchable. The moves are "cooler," but they require an amount of participation from both parties that make them look ridiculously fake. And the entire matches are scripted now.

Until recently, pro wrestling wasn't as scripted as most people believe. Yes, the winners were pre-determined. But it was mostly ad hoc, other than hitting a few "spots" in the match. Now, it looks more like synchronized dancing and is pretty much unwatchable. The moves are "cooler," but they require an amount of participation from both parties that make them look ridiculously fake. And the entire matches are scripted now.

And every word of the promos as well

Amen, As I stated earlier the guys today are way more athletic then the guys from the 70s, 80s, & 90s. But so what. All they do are these high flying gymnastic moves with no rhyme or reason. They don't understand the psychology that made us fans care even though we all knew it was "fake" /scripted. The worst thing about todays wrestling is the complete no sell. Oh in a matter of 10 seconds you get hit by a Body slam, DDT, Powerbomb, and stunner, yet you get up right away to start running and jumping around for 10 more minutes, Get out of here with that crap.

Amen, As I stated earlier the guys today are way more athletic then the guys from the 70s, 80s, & 90s. But so what. All they do are these high flying gymnastic moves with no rhyme or reason. They don't understand the psychology that made us fans care even though we all knew it was "fake" /scripted. The worst thing about todays wrestling is the complete no sell. Oh in a matter of 10 seconds you get hit by a Body slam, DDT, Powerbomb, and stunner, yet you get up right away to start running and jumping around for 10 more minutes, Get out of here with that crap.
Chief Jay Strongbow used to use getting beat up to launch him into his war dance.

I always thought of them as huge dancers more than fighters!
No question any of them could give you a major league ass whooping, but what they did to each other was choreographed. Surely they had to practice that stuff with each other, like Dancing with the Stars!
I had a ton of fun traveling with a good friend who wrestled to his matches. Did a day or two of practicing as well. Afterwards, I disliked the term fake. They are getting slammed. They are getting hit. They are flying off the top buckle. At least at his level, what impressed me was the in-match improvisation. They had very little rehearsal time. A quick agreement in the start and finish was really all they had to go on and they worked hard to give the people a good show.

Why the hell not, we talk about a bunch of other stupid crap on here. To me the # 1 tag team stands above all others and I cant see how anyone says different. This is going to be more heavy from the 80's to early 2000s, hell I couldn't even name a team from like 2004 to today.

My top 5

1) The Road Warriors Hawk & Animal (RIP)
2 The Steiner Brothers
3) Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson
4) The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane version w/ Cornette)
5) Rock n' Roll Express

HM (in no order):
Demolition, The Blackjacks, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Dudley Boys, Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik
Mr. Fugi and Professor Toro Tanaka

Jumpin Johnny was a close friend of my late father. The only guest at my wedding with a wikipedia page. RIP Johnny.
My brother was a councilman in a small borough, I went with him once to a retreat at 7 Springs for the current political people, Johnny was there as Allegheny County Councilman, I met him, very cool guy, still had the wrestler persona, dressed in all black like Johnny Cash, with rhinestone sunglasses and slicked back black hair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT