ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guardians 3 (non spoiler)

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Just had a date with my daughter for an after work showing.

Marvel is back! Well, maybe. If they can string together a few movies like this one.

This was the best Marvel production since Endgame or Infinity War.

James Gunn is very good at his job. The cast was great as they always are. Great characters and great chemistry.

This one hit on many emotions, but generally was a fun ride. And the laughs were just as plenty as all the other films and didn’t come close to falling flat like waititi’s Love and Thunder.

Music was pretty good but not great. Beastie Boys was a pleasant touch. Beastie Boys were also featured in the Marvels trailer, which was cool. But probably won’t come close to saving that film. But guardians didn’t disappoint. Hope it makes a billion.

8 out of 10.

Just had a date with my daughter for an after work showing.

Marvel is back! Well, maybe. If they can string together a few movies like this one.

This was the best Marvel production since Endgame or Infinity War.

James Gunn is very good at his job. The cast was great as they always are. Great characters and great chemistry.

This one hit on many emotions, but generally was a fun ride. And the laughs were just as plenty as all the other films and didn’t come close to falling flat like waititi’s Love and Thunder.

Music was pretty good but not great. Beastie Boys was a pleasant touch. Beastie Boys were also featured in the Marvels trailer, which was cool. But probably won’t come close to saving that film. But guardians didn’t disappoint. Hope it makes a billion.

8 out of 10.
They're the only Marvel movies I like

I like Marvel and I'll give anything that's being put out a chance. I thought She Hulk was really bad but I can generally appreciate what they're trying to do. I think they know that some stories aren't as compelling as others and don't translate to live action very well but because everything is interconnected, they sort of have to do the development stories so that something later makes more sense. I also think the multiverse is a little tough to follow because it allows characters to play fast and loose with the rules. But, the devoted fandom loves it.

I like Marvel and I'll give anything that's being put out a chance. I thought She Hulk was really bad but I can generally appreciate what they're trying to do. I think they know that some stories aren't as compelling as others and don't translate to live action very well but because everything is interconnected, they sort of have to do the development stories so that something later makes more sense. I also think the multiverse is a little tough to follow because it allows characters to play fast and loose with the rules. But, the devoted fandom loves it.
Yeah. Time travel and multiverse is a bit much for me. But hey, talking raccoons are okay with me. Lol.

Marvel has a problem. All of these movies are now losing money or teetering close to breaking even. They cost 250 mil to make, and with the marketing, etc…it’s said that these types of movies need to get north of 700 million to make money.

AntMan quantummania suffered by a low opening weekend and therefore didn’t even get to 500 million. Projections for this film have a similar type opening weekend to AntMan…so marvel has to hope that the projections are wrong and/or word of mouth gets the film to at least 140 million for an opening weekend. The film is good so I hope it happens. Otherwise Marvel is in trouble because the Marvels doesn’t stand a chance IMO. If Guardians underperforms, it won’t be good for anything that follows.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Yeah. Time travel and multiverse is a bit much for me. But hey, talking raccoons are okay with me. Lol.

Marvel has a problem. All of these movies are now losing money or teetering close to breaking even. They cost 250 mil to make, and with the marketing, etc…it’s said that these types of movies need to get north of 700 million to make money.

AntMan quantummania suffered by a low opening weekend and therefore didn’t even get to 500 million. Projections for this film have a similar type opening weekend to AntMan…so marvel has to hope that the projections are wrong and/or word of mouth gets the film to at least 140 million for an opening weekend. The film is good so I hope it happens. Otherwise Marvel is in trouble because the Marvels doesn’t stand a chance IMO. If Guardians underperforms, it won’t be good for anything that follows.
Most TV and movie franchises tend to try to hold on and milk every last penny but go red before they finally shut it down.

Yeah. It's like Spider-Man No Way Home didn't gross 805M domestic and nearly 2B with no China release in 2021/2022, right?
Whatever movie they chose to follow up end game was going to do well.

How have subsequent movies done in comparison to everything up until endgame when it comes down to budget vs profit?

Whatever movie they chose to follow up end game was going to do well.

How have subsequent movies done in comparison to everything up until endgame when it comes down to budget vs profit?
The last two, AntMan and Thor, lost money. But the studio will never admit it. I don’t recall what Wakanda did. It probably made money. That movie wasn’t as bad as the other two.

The last two, AntMan and Thor, lost money. But the studio will never admit it. I don’t recall what Wakanda did. It probably made money. That movie wasn’t as bad as the other two.

I thought Wakanda was the worse Marvel movie to date. The story didn't need to be told. Without Chadwick, that franchise should have just been retired.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I thought Wakanda was the worse Marvel movie to date.

Maybe my expectations have just been lowered because their last several projects have missed the mark. But I at least was entertained by Wakanda.

As far as Thor and my statement above, I just looked into it and I think it broke even or made a little money. But I don’t think anyone will say that it met expectations. Not by a long shot.

I liked guardians 3. There were moments that hit the emotional button for sure.

But, the original cast and writing is just going to be hard to duplicate or get near when it comes to marvel movies. RDJr was such a hwt in the catalog.

I liked guardians 3. There were moments that hit the emotional button for sure.

But, the original cast and writing is just going to be hard to duplicate or get near when it comes to marvel movies. RDJr was such a hwt in the catalog.
They pretty much hit a home run with all of the casting. Can you name any misses? Chris Evans is kind of a drip and a bore, yet nothing really seems off with his portrayal of Steve Rogers.

I’m really having a hard time thinking of a bad character portrayal. First one that comes to mind is Karen Gillam (Nebula), but she really isn’t bad at all. Im just having a hard time coming up with one.

Now in this new phase, where do I begin…

They pretty much hit a home run with all of the casting. Can you name any misses? Chris Evans is kind of a drip and a bore, yet nothing really seems off with his portrayal of Steve Rogers.

I’m really having a hard time thinking of a bad character portrayal. First one that comes to mind is Karen Gillam (Nebula), but she really isn’t bad at all. Im just having a hard time coming up with one.

Now in this new phase, where do I begin…
I'm in full agreement.

I will say one thing. While I wasn't in love with Eternals when I saw it in the theatre, I've watched it a few times since and I've come around to enjoying it. The whole celestials stuff interests me. I'm excited to see what they build off of that.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm in full agreement.

I will say one thing. While I wasn't in love with Eternals when I saw it in the theatre, I've watched it a few times since and I've come around to enjoying it. The whole celestials stuff interests me. I'm excited to see what they build off of that.
I think I heard that there will be a celestial tie in in the next Captain america movie and the Thunderbolts.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT