ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy birthday, Honus Wagner!

Happy birthday Hans!

The greatest Pirate ever (by far) and one of the best players ever to play the game.

Reactions: HOF Coach
In Baseball's first Hall of Fame class, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Honus Wagner, and Babe Ruth were inducted as five of the finest players of the era controlling the election ballots in 1936.
1e7c0277a27283ab0e05c4642cce6039.jpg

Did anyone ever actually put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes, as legend goes? I had lots of cards and never did, not even with one of my Frank Taveras triples.

Honus wagner? This name sounds familiar. Oh yeah, I found an old baseball card of his. Threw it away.
Me too. One of the corners was bent. I figured it had no value so I pitched it. But I’m still holding onto my Eric Lindros rookie card. That things gonna be worth something one day!

Was it worth whatever effect it was supposed to evoke? A stuttering sound i guess?

As far as rookie cards, i made a score in grade school, an early prized possession of mine, I got a Franco Harris rookie card in exchange for a Jim Otto, which a butt kissing classmate wanted from me because our 3rd grade teacher was weirdly a Raiders fan. I had it for years, it was my favorite card. Then my mom tossed my whole collection after moving to college. Grrrr. I dunno if worth anything, but i figure local PSU cultists probably might covet it these days since he's doubly a hero for his blind devotion to Paterno. Eh, too bad.

Was it worth whatever effect it was supposed to evoke? A stuttering sound i guess?

As far as rookie cards, i made a score in grade school, an early prized possession of mine, I got a Franco Harris rookie card in exchange for a Jim Otto, which a butt kissing classmate wanted from me because our 3rd grade teacher was weirdly a Raiders fan. I had it for years, it was my favorite card. Then my mom tossed my whole collection after moving to college. Grrrr. I dunno if worth anything, but i figure local PSU cultists probably might covet it these days since he's doubly a hero for his blind devotion to Paterno. Eh, too bad.
Made you bike sound like it had a motor.

Worked with a guy whose mother was a hoarder of sorts. Refused to toss his card collection. He rediscovered it much later, and used it to finance his daughter's wedding!

He had like 8 Mickey Mantle rookie cards in mint condition! Lots of other gems as well.
I think the bloom is off the rose with baseball cards now. No long a "thing" like it was. At one time those things were white hot!

In Baseball's first Hall of Fame class, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Honus Wagner, and Babe Ruth were inducted as five of the finest players of the era controlling the election ballots in 1936.
1e7c0277a27283ab0e05c4642cce6039.jpg
They all look like they're 40 and fought a war already.

Made you bike sound like it had a motor.

Worked with a guy whose mother was a hoarder of sorts. Refused to toss his card collection. He rediscovered it much later, and used it to finance his daughter's wedding!

He had like 8 Mickey Mantle rookie cards in mint condition! Lots of other gems as well.
I think the bloom is off the rose with baseball cards now. No long a "thing" like it was. At one time those things were white hot!
I had a whole mini suitcase with my sports cards, organized painstakingly. Neighborhood pals convened frequently for trade summits. That pretty much ended by middle school, and I kinda then forgot all about em, not even really sure where I'd put em... so can't blame mom for pitching them a decade later, I guess.

We also played Stratomatic baseball on rainy days when we couldn't play actual baseball. That was a whole different set of cards. I didn't hold that set of cards, a more responsible buddy did. The anecdote above indicates that was probably a wise thing.

Precursor to fantasy league stuff of today. Except, we stopped that junk in middle school too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT