ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ICYMI - Restaurant opening on 10th floor of The Oaklander Hotel

Thanks! Gene's great, been friends with him ever since I turned 21. We still collaborate on football tailgates.

I've heard trivia nights are always a good time. Tell Sid that Joe says hi.

i'm not discounting your experience, but to me, this seems your scenario is for a restaurant located in a strip of other restaurants that needs to set itself apart. i agree, if they are wanting to do a bulk of their business on walk up traffic, then first floor would be ideal. this is an isolated location without nearby shopping or entertainment, so i see this as a destination restaurant, thus meaning if there is an elevator ride from the lobby or parking area, than so be it.

If i know where i'll be before a show/concert/movie, i will determine where we are eating ahead of time based on menu and price point. My wife and i ate at Scratch Food & Beverage on Saturday in Troy Hill and it full the entire time. I would assume 95% of their business consists of destination diners and not depending on walk by traffic in Troy Hill.
Love your handle. I'm there every Wed. playing trivia with my son and his crew.

None of what any of you mentioned seems interesting to me. Guess that's why I don't go to Oakland and turned down Pitt.

hmmm, no parks or golf or swimming or museums.....so what tickles your fancy? Huntin & fishin? Agriculture & 4H? People walking around in cult-like homogeneity? I know a good place for you then....

hmmm, no parks or golf or swimming or museums.....so what tickles your fancy? Huntin & fishin? Agriculture & 4H? People walking around in cult-like homogeneity? I know a good place for you then....

Sports, technology, suburban life, outdoors life, gardening, time with family and work.

Sports, technology, suburban life, outdoors life, gardening, time with family and work.

Where does one go to experience technology?

I get that not everyone likes or appreciates things that cities offer, just as I'm certainly not one for suburban life, but I can't understand why "walking around there is a pain," or even why it is hard to park in Oakland. One just heads to a garage and all the things mentioned above are within a short, non-painful walking distance.

Last edited:
Sure it wasn't PITT turned down you..

No, I was accepted to Pitt main, Robert Morris as well as Duquesne which is where I ended up going. Oakland was a big turn off to me after visiting. I had no interest in living on campus, so commuting to Duquesne was a much easier experience for me. I didn't know what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, so I just applied to all the locals.

No, I was accepted to Pitt main, Robert Morris as well as Duquesne which is where I ended up going. Oakland was a big turn off to me after visiting. I had no interest in living on campus, so commuting to Duquesne was a much easier experience for me. I didn't know what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, so I just applied to all the locals.

Lol. Pitt's campus was a big turnoff... So then you chose Duquesne. Makes perfect sense.

Wait-
What??

The curtain is lifting.
Ya didn’t want to live in campus housing in Oakland - because parking is hard (even though you don’t need a car in Oakland) so you chose to commute to Duquesne?

This is your rebuttal to those who answered your question about why go to Oakland?

Perfect.

Last edited:
Sure it wasn't PITT turned down you..
[/COLOR]
rejected-stamp-16803588.jpg

NO-SOUP-FOR-YOU.jpg

Wait-
What??

The curtain is lifting.
Ya didn’t want to live in campus housing in Oakland - because parking is hard (even though you don’t need a car in Oakland) so you chose to commute to Duquesne?

This is your rebuttal to those who answered your question about why go to Oakland?

Perfect.

No, I wasn't going to live on campus at any school, I was going to commute regardless. Sorry if that came out confusing.

My rebuttal to what cool things are in Oakland and reasona why you all go there is that I really don't find any of those things interesting. Phipps is cool, but would you go more than once a year? If that? I'm not into museums, art, music and I really don't like fancy foods. I'm a plain guy.

No, I wasn't going to live on campus at any school, I was going to commute regardless. Sorry if that came out confusing.

My rebuttal to what cool things are in Oakland and reasona why you all go there is that I really don't find any of those things interesting. Phipps is cool, but would you go more than once a year? If that? I'm not into museums, art, music and I really don't like fancy foods. I'm a plain guy.
g1448568643541157922.jpg

I wouldn't want to go to Pitt or Duquesne (or any city school in Pittsburgh) if I was commuting by car. Interesting choice though. Duquesne currently starts at $40K a year tuition compared to $18K for Pitt in-state. I would imagine you received a substantial financial package from Duquesne because what one would save by commuting would be blown (and then some) by the extra costs of DU.

We got it
You said something stupid
And rather than say “jeez- I didn’t realize there’s plenty to do in Oakland “

You’ve instead tried poorly to diminish those things because you like chain restaurants and having limited options for entertainment

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Well it was originally supposed to be UC members only. And it was really overpriced so it was failing. Faculty aren't high end people. That didn't work, so they tried opening up to the general public, but they ran it with weird hours and, really, it is still overpriced. They really need to just contract it out to a restaurant group that knows what the hell it is doing. Generally it is just such a waste of an absolutely gorgeous space.
You may have already known this, but... the UC is a Sodexo operation, just like Market, the Perch, etc.

I used to work there as one of the guys who set up the rooms for different events. It had its fair share of BS and very questionable management (along with a lot of turnover as you'd expect)... but overall, not a terrible college job.

And doing the set ups on the terrace was great for the view, never got old... but it was a real pain in the ass at times getting tables and what not up and down it.

You may have already known this, but... the UC is a Sodexo operation, just like Market, the Perch, etc.

I used to work there as one of the guys who set up the rooms for different events. It had its fair share of BS and very questionable management (along with a lot of turnover as you'd expect)... but overall, not a terrible college job.

And doing the set ups on the terrace was great for the view, never got old... but it was a real pain in the ass at times getting tables and what not up and down it.

Which is the problem. Sodexo doesn't know how to run a restaurant/bar like that, and they certainly don't care.

Reactions: bwh05 and str61166
You guys do understand that Duquesne is academic walk with about 8 buildings on each side. I never had to cross a street and rarely left 2-3 buildings. At Pitt, when I did a schedule with my advisor, I was going all over the place. I believe his name was Steve Sapolski?

I get it, Duquesne is in the city, but I didn't go to college for campus life etc. I went for a piece of paper and that's it. I talk to all of 0 people from college. You all got more out of your college life, and that's great, it's what you wanted.

I got to my guaranteed parking spot at Duquesne from the parkway or 28 in about 3 minutes. A very easy drive. When I went, I started paying $7500 a semester, by the time I graduated, it was $9000 a semester. No idea what it costs now.

I think some of you are taking me as bashing Oakland as a city campus, dangerous, etc and i'm not. I just don't see anything down there worth going to see....but some of you seem to be there all the time. For school, it was too big for me to want to navigate. City life is not for me.

You guys do understand that Duquesne is academic walk with about 8 buildings on each side. I never had to cross a street and rarely left 2-3 buildings. At Pitt, when I did a schedule with my advisor, I was going all over the place. I believe his name was Steve Sapolski?

I get it, Duquesne is in the city, but I didn't go to college for campus life etc. I went for a piece of paper and that's it. I talk to all of 0 people from college. You all got more out of your college life, and that's great, it's what you wanted.

I got to my guaranteed parking spot at Duquesne from the parkway or 28 in about 3 minutes. A very easy drive. When I went, I started paying $7500 a semester, by the time I graduated, it was $9000 a semester. No idea what it costs now.

I think some of you are taking me as bashing Oakland as a city campus, dangerous, etc and i'm not. I just don't see anything down there worth going to see....but some of you seem to be there all the time. For school, it was too big for me to want to navigate. City life is not for me.

Different strokes
Some people like to leave their houses and yards and have experiences.

You asked a question and were answered.
I’ll likely be in Oakland Friday since my son has a half day and we’ll be at Carnegie - then again on Saturday for the game.

Agreed.
To me, being able to enjoy a nice yard to lay in or have a family event blows away going to an event. Neither is wrong.
And having a yard doesn’t preclude enjoying doing things .
I live in the city- have a decent sized fenced in back yard and a 2 car garage
I’m 3.5 miles from the Pete and can see the cathedral from my hospital.

We lived in a very nice suburban neighborhood for 14 years in a new construction with a pool, basketball courts , tennis, and beach volleyball.
It was lovely .
But my wife hated driving 30 minutes to do something or see friends.

We can walk to 4 good restaurants with 3 blocks and can walk to the Zoo.
My son’s school is a half mile walk .
We met more neighbors in the first 12 months of living here than we did in12 years there

My son is one of 15 kids under the age of 15 on our quiet street .

It’s awesome.

Reactions: BigBird80
let him go on and....

tenor.gif

amazing where a new eatery thread ends up going around these parts...
I know, right?

I simply wanted to inform everyone that a new and quality restaurant with a unique view of the campus was opening.

And then this happened....
hijack12052014.gif

And having a yard doesn’t preclude enjoying doing things .
I live in the city- have a decent sized fenced in back yard and a 2 car garage
I’m 3.5 miles from the Pete and can see the cathedral from my hospital.

We lived in a very nice suburban neighborhood for 14 years in a new construction with a pool, basketball courts , tennis, and beach volleyball.
It was lovely .
But my wife hated driving 30 minutes to do something or see friends.

We can walk to 4 good restaurants with 3 blocks and can walk to the Zoo.
My son’s school is a half mile walk .
We met more neighbors in the first 12 months of living here than we did in12 years there

My son is one of 15 kids under the age of 15 on our quiet street .

It’s awesome.
I wish more people in my neighborhood used birth control.

Should be interesting, but not sure if that restaurant concept will work all that well for location in the city and city in general.
Legume in Oakland is an outstanding upscale restuarant that flourishes. Oakland is really nice these days .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT